Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It’s crazy that people still think any garbage that Coates writes is canon but I’ll admit Red Skull using Jordan Peterson talking points makes me chuckle.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Oh yeah. His fans would probably only complain about capitalism if a movie or video game has a minority lead character. Because of course that's the worst crime committed by capitalism!
    I dunno. I think he gets cultural Marxism from the fact that some intersectionalists will describe their ideology as being inspired by Marxism or influenced by it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by steel_atlas View Post
    I dunno. I think he gets cultural Marxism from the fact that some intersectionalists will describe their ideology as being inspired by Marxism or influenced by it.
    Marx had a lot of questionable theories but he was right to criticize classism. I think people can take inspiration from him without necessarily condoning all of his ideas, or the insanity which became communism.

I didn’t see the Peterson connection till I read a few articles about it. Dr. Faustus would've been a better character to fill this role. Since he is a trained therapist and has less notoriety.

Red Skull would probably be more like David Duke or Richard Spencer than Jordan Peterson to me.

Even as a liberal it feels tasteless to base Skull on someone specific rather than amalgam a few of them.

Unless it's Shapiro who I can't take seriously. He feels like a grown up version of Chuck the Hydra Hipster.

Spectacular Member

Marx had a lot of questionable theories but he was right to criticize classism. I think people can take inspiration from him without necessarily condoning all of his ideas, or the insanity which became communism.
    I'm not making a value judgement I'm just pointing out where I think the language comes from.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I didn’t see the Peterson connection till I read a few articles about it. Dr. Faustus would've been a better character to fill this role. Since he is a trained therapist and has less notoriety.

Red Skull would probably be more like David Duke or Richard Spencer than Jordan Peterson to me.

Even as a liberal it feels tasteless to base Skull on someone specific rather than amalgam a few of them.

Unless it's Shapiro who I can't take seriously. He feels like a grown up version of Chuck the Hydra Hipster.
    I dont think it would be in good taste to portray someone who is aggressively Jewish as a Nazi.

I dont think it would be in good taste to portray someone who is aggressively Jewish as a Nazi.
    True but I think you could get away with it if he was just an Alt-right themed villian than a neo-nazi.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Portraying a Canadian psychologist as a Nazi was in bad taste too but here we are.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    I mean ... Cobra Commander was always a car salesman who was good at talking endless minons into joining his cause ... its not like this is new territory.
    And its not really a "rumor" as much as it's well we read the book and yeah there is a correlation, weather it's intentional or just coincidental can be debated.
    You can even get closer with reality and make this relation with the US' previous president.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 04-08-2021 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    ....Red Skull would probably be more like David Duke or Richard Spencer than Jordan Peterson to me.....
    A valid point.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

I'm not making a value judgement I'm just pointing out where I think the language comes from.
    ok

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    You can even get closer with reality and make this relation with the US' previous president.
    I think with these comparisons, it's not so much them being actual nazis, which isn't who they are, and wouldn't be appropriate to outright be called that. It's more them using language which leads to radicalization. These alt-right types have been coddled by society while more progressive groups are often demonized and brutalized

Spectacular Member

ok

I think with these comparisons, it's not so much them being actual nazis, which isn't who they are, and wouldn't be appropriate to outright be called that. It's more them using language which leads to radicalization. These alt-right types have been coddled by society while more progressive groups are often demonized and brutalized
    Interesting, do you have examples? At least in context of Marvel I dont see much evidence of this.

Ultimate Member

Interesting, do you have examples? At least in context of Marvel I dont see much evidence of this.
    Sorry, I just meant in society in general. Think of how the Capitol insurrection got so far in, yet protests against police brutality are sometimes met with brutality.

I might have gone on too much of a tangent.

Spectacular Member

Sorry, I just meant in society in general. Think of how the Capitol insurrection got so far in, yet protests against police brutality are sometimes met with brutality.

I might have gone on too much of a tangent.
    At least in Marvel comics leftist groups when portrayed negatively are either comical like the goofy group for Spencers Cpt. America run or pretty sympathetic aka the flag smashers in FaTWS

Ultimate Member

At least in Marvel comics leftist groups when portrayed negatively are either comical like the goofy group for Spencers Cpt. America run or pretty sympathetic aka the flag smashers in FaTWS
    The thing is, most leftist groups in the USA don't cause mass violence and aren't systemically rooted in centuries of government and societal corruption and abuse. So trying to draw parallels between "muh both sides" doesn't work. Anti-bigotry groups aren't out there separating right-wing parents from their kids, or trying to deny voting rights, or sterilizing their opponents.

For the most part, I don't think comics go too far into that kind of stuff, which is understandable, though not necessarily commendable