Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    True but I think you could get away with it if he was just an Alt-right themed villian than a neo-nazi.
    That wouldn’t fit either, the Alt-Right hate Ben Shapiro. He’s gets death threats from them. He’s also heavily criticized the alt-right for years.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Portraying a Canadian psychologist as a Nazi was in bad taste too but here we are.
    To his credit, Peterson is handling it very well. Some of his supporters are taking his quotes and turning them into Red Skull memes. It’s pretty funny seeing quotes advocating free speech being attributed to Red Skull.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The thing is, most leftist groups in the USA don't cause mass violence and aren't systemically rooted in centuries of government and societal corruption and abuse. So trying to draw parallels between "muh both sides" doesn't work. Anti-bigotry groups aren't out there separating right-wing parents from their kids, or trying to deny voting rights, or sterilizing their opponents.

For the most part, I don't think comics go too far into that kind of stuff, which is understandable, though not necessarily commendable
    I'm talking about the context of Marvel comics. Marvel has pretty consistently in the last decade if not more been pretty critical of the right and supportive of the left.

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    That wouldn’t fit either, the Alt-Right hate Ben Shapiro. He’s gets death threats from them. He’s also heavily criticized the alt-right for years.
    Fair enough. I'll drop it as I'm letting my distaste of Ben Shapiro affect my creativity.

Oh god, and this guy is writing the next Superman movie ...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    Oh god, and this guy is writing the next Superman movie ...
    I dont think thats been confirmed and they might be going back to the snyderverse with the success of the new justice league

Mighty Member

I'm okay with it.
    Comics have never really been subtle with its political opinions.
    I just find it odd Coates picked Peterson of all People. On the folks from that weird right wing internet circle, he is pretty far down on my list, but I guess you can make the comparisons there.
    I mean the only other Person I can think of is Alex Jones, and he gets done to death at this point.

Ultimate Member

As per the specific issue, it's not so much Red Skull as Jordan Peterson (who's views have been revealed to be as far-right as they come) but as one of the alt-right talking heads on social media. One only need to go to youtube to see a lot of these charlatans from Alex Jones (when he was still on social media) and his cronies to the Prager U garbage.

I don't know if anyone here has read the isssue but it wasn't Red Skull as Jordan Peterson.

As for Jordan Peterson, I actually like some of his stuff particularly his advice to young men to get responsible and all that. But his transphobia (which isn't recent considering he completely misrepresented the Canadian laws) and his views on climate change and social issues has moved him much closer to the far-right than anything else. I won't say he's alt-right but he's definitely far-right which I personally have little patience for because it's now about whining, complaining about social change and have absolutely NO solutions to societal problems.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-08-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by steel_atlas View Post
    I dont think thats been confirmed and they might be going back to the snyderverse with the success of the new justice league
    JLSC didn't even outdraw WW84.

WB isn't likely to go back to the Snyderverse Superman.

Ultimate Member

I'm talking about the context of Marvel comics. Marvel has pretty consistently in the last decade if not more been pretty critical of the right and supportive of the left.
    No problem. I can see why they would be.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    JLSC didn't even outdraw WW84.

WB isn't likely to go back to the Snyderverse Superman.
    Interesting you have a source for that?

The only thing I could find was a deadline article citing a 3rd party site I have never heard of.
    Last edited by steel_atlas; 04-08-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Ultimate Member

The only thing I could find was a deadline article citing a 3rd party site I have never heard of.
    Funny enough, it was the same article I read.

I don't think WB released official streaming numbers.

Using the Red Skull to mirror current far right stuff is nothing new so I can't say I'm outraged.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

There aren't any official numbers. The most people can theorize is that WW84 made more due to international theatre release.
    "Cable was right!"

The closest was that WB recently announced that Godzilla vs. Kong had surpassed Wonder Woman 1984 as their biggest ever HBO Max debut, which, by implication, would mean that the Snyder Cut didn't surpass it.

Even if WW1984 hadn't outperformed it, I doubt that the Snyder Cut would have much impact on the new Superman movie anyway. It's a reboot and likely will be outside the main canon like The Batman.