Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't classical liberal just another buzzword?
    No I think it's an effort to describe a political position.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milk Tray Man View Post
    Not physically?
    No he fought Reagan physically.

Hes been a partisan character in regards to American politics since the 70s.

Ultimate Member

No I think it's an effort to describe a political position.
    In intent, perhaps, but in practice, I'm not so sure

Quote Originally Posted by steel_atlas View Post

Shame I missed that, sounds hilarious.

And I always liked Cap's world view throughout the 70s and 80s.

In intent, perhaps, but in practice, I'm not so sure
    I always assumed it was a centrist position albeit with a leaning to the right.

Idk, I think people overreact to things and act like any attempt to be more civil is "destroying free speech"...
    Free speech and civility have nothing to do with each other, nor does "Cancel Culture" and civility as it seeks to impose civility by force thus undermining the entire concept. Remember that free speech laws are there to protect unpopular speech because popular speech needs no protection people often forget that.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-09-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I thought it was a Nixen stand-in Cap beat up in the 1970s? Maybe I missed something.

Ultimate Member

I always assumed it was a centrist position albeit with a leaning to the right.
    I think that's what it's supposed to mean. But these labels get twisted by misuse. I'd prefer if people specify what they believe in rather than make these blanket ideological statements

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Free speech and civility have nothing to do with each other. Remember that free speech laws are there to protect unpopular speech because popular speech needs no protection people often forget that.
    That's not my point. I'm saying some people always use these slippery slope arguments when it never really comes out to be true. And these free speech warriors need to learn to accept others' free speech as criticism

Spectacular Member

Shame I missed that, sounds hilarious.

And I always liked Cap's world view throughout the 70s and 80s.
    Captain America has fought or disagreed with every Republican President that comic was active for.

Wether you agree with it or not Cpt. America has been more Cpt. Blur State then the whole country for the characters history.

Ultimate Member

Captain America has fought or disagreed with every Republican President that comic was active for.

Wether you agree with it or not Cpt. America has been more Cpt. Blur State then the whole country for the characters history.
    yeah, I mean, how do you have a hero who says "it's ok for governments to be brutal" or "let's invade half the world"

Free speech and civility have nothing to do with each other, nor does "Cancel Culture" and civility as it seeks to impose civility by force thus undermining the entire concept. Remember that free speech laws are there to protect unpopular speech because popular speech needs no protection people often forget that.
    Sure. I would refer to someone by their desired pronouns because they asked me to and I don't want to upset people. I don't like the idea of people only being polite because the law has forced them to. That's just building up trouble. How can you get the measure of someone if they only say what the law enforces on them, not what they really think?

Spectacular Member

yeah, I mean, how do you have a hero who says "it's ok for governments to be brutal" or "let's invade half the world"
    I mean maybe thats true, but Captain America hasnt really sought to represent the whole country for a very long time.

....That's not my point. I'm saying some people always use these slippery slope arguments when it never really comes out to be true. And these free speech warriors need to learn to accept others' free speech as criticism
    It is based upon the whole idea that one hundred guilty persons going free is better than one not guilty person being wrongly executed for murder. It is best to be cautious in such cases because there have been horrendous modern societies in which free speech has not existed such as the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, North Korea, so on and so forth.

I don't understand your second point. So, you think saying that free speech shouldn't be absolute and that is free speech? Well, you can say that. Your statement is what you believe. See, you shouldn't care if what you say offends anyone. I don't care if I'm offending anyone right now. That's the great thing about freedom everyone is free to decide what is important to them or offensive or not offensive.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-09-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Spectacular Member

I thought it was a Nixen stand-in Cap beat up in the 1970s? Maybe I missed something.
    He did fight a stand in for Nixon but he actually fought Ronald Reagan.

I am not sure what you mean by Captain Blur State. But I've also disagreed with most of every Rebublican president's policies.

Sorry, I'm being stupid - it was a typo for blue state. I thought there was some new political nomenclature I wasn't up on. Yes, Cap's definitely more Democrat and he informed some of my young values (even though I'm not American). I do recall an issue in which he defended a neo-Nazi rally from attack as he said that the principle of free speech was sacrosanct. I'm sure he got to punch one of them though, so it wasn't a total loss
    Last edited by Milk Tray Man; 04-09-2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Didn't guess 'blur' was 'blue'