Boisterously Confused

Default Ridiculous Comic Nerd Question: Astral Forms

The Astral Form is Dr. Strange's signature thing. In your head-canon, is it something he creepily projects, or is it what others perceive as he clairvoyantly creeps on the world?
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 04-07-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Ultimate Member

Not sure exactly but I think his spirit or astral self splits off from his body. Tbh astral projection and psychic communication always seemed like two sides of the same coin to me

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Not sure exactly but I think his spirit or astral self splits off from his body. Tbh astral projection and psychic communication always seemed like two sides of the same coin to me
    My apologies. I meant to include the term "in your head-canon." Meaning, apart from published evidence, how do you see it?

Galaxies Wanderer

I think it depends if everyone can see the astral form or... does he choose who can see?

also if you believe in ghosts or know what Strange is/do, it may just be a little... strange. (haha) Just a visual experience of "soul leaving the body".

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    My apologies. I meant to include the term "in your head-canon." Meaning, apart from published evidence, how do you see it?
    Oh, no problem. To me, astral projection is splitting mind from body, but partially in the physical world without actually interacting with it. His astral form can only mentally interact with others

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Astral Form is Dr. Strange's signature thing. In your head-canon, is it something he creepily projects, or is it what others perceive as he clairvoyantly creeps on the world?
    I’ve always thought it was something he projected.
    One of the Hulk’s powers is to see disembodied entities, ghosts, astral forms...

...so to me Doc Strange is def. putting something out there.

I’ve always been interested in Marvel’s astral plane. It’s cool that it can be accessed in a variety of ways; magically like Strange, through training/meditation high level martial artists can achieve like Iron Fist, and psionically like Prof. X and other mutants do it.

I think the doc likes to add a little creep into it...
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Let's get weirder with this. Is Strange's Astral Form that different than Prof. Xavier's? I always though it was kind of neat that the two shared an ability, but had totally different ways of achieving it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Let's get weirder with this. Is Strange's Astral Form that different than Prof. Xavier's? I always though it was kind of neat that the two shared an ability, but had totally different ways of achieving it.
    Dang, wish I’D brought that up...

Ultimate Member

I always assumed they were the same. I never really thought of telepathy and astral projection as being entirely different.

Sometimes they look the same (blue-ish, clear, yellow-y) and sometimes not (fully colored or just Heads). I perceive them as very similar and yet very different. This is because of how each is achieved and the powers that differ to use them.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

I think it is not the same. Strange is magic using soul, while Xavier be psionic using mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I think it is not the same. Strange is magic using soul, while Xavier be psionic using mind.
    If I understand you correctly, you're saying that Strange sends his soul as an astral projection, but Xavier sends his mind? I see that difference. However, the exact definitions of mind and soul don't have set, rigid definitions and there is a lot of room for discussion on this.

However, we also have Jean Grey's telekinesis and Strange's Cloak of Levitation which both allow a person to be raised off the ground. In some cases, magic and science can do the exact same thing, even if the forms of Xavier and Strange are different. And I'm not convinced there is a distinction between the two.

You have made a very good point, though.

Ultimate Member

Have Xavier and Strange ever discussed this subject?

Astonishing Member

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that Strange sends his soul as an astral projection, but Xavier sends his mind? I see that difference. However, the exact definitions of mind and soul don't have set, rigid definitions and there is a lot of room for discussion on this.

However, we also have Jean Grey's telekinesis and Strange's Cloak of Levitation which both allow a person to be raised off the ground. In some cases, magic and science can do the exact same thing, even if the forms of Xavier and Strange are different. And I'm not convinced there is a distinction between the two.

You have made a very good point, though.
    Thanks, though think of it like clothes. They can be made from different materials, and depending on the materials this will affect how they can be cleaned, which weather to have them in, etc. But it doesn't matter what example a shirt is made of, they all do the basic role of covering the chest.