Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Considering stuff like Superwoman, Wally spinning wheels till now and JSA still missing I find it hard to believe.
    Yeah, Superman Reborn completely destroyed Superwoman's narrative by making her origin impossible. That's the opposite of well planned.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    About the only thing that came out of it that I liked was Rucka's WW origin and ironically even that isn't canon anymore. I should quantify this by saying that I was a fan of the New 52 Superman so I don't have a high opninon of the concept in general. The way they brought back the pre-Flashpoint Superman was so hamfisted and was handled so poorly. A lot of the good stuff from New 52, like Morrison's origin for Superman, was thrown out just because people didn't like the direction of the books. It wasn't a "merger", it was the pre-Flashpoint Superman where he had a short period where he wore the New 52 costume. Mother Panic was good but that didn't last either. So it just seemed like it was an excuse to undo the New 52 in the most sloppy way possible.
    Mother Panic was never a part of the New 52 or Rebirth. Her book was part of the separate Young Animal line.

Brought me back full swing with modern DC comics. Bought nearly everything. Started to loose me at about Superman Reborn and the Re-Re-Rebooting (partially because of Reborn) + cancellation of Superwoman; began weirding me out when DClock felt like it became only necessary for them to finalize it because at some point they made a fuzz about it (besides them dragging it painfully long around while Metal jumped in left a far bigger footprint that it should have). Now I'm back at occasionally getting collected back issues from anything between COIE & Flashpoint (with some rare exceptions outside these eras).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't think it was Johns not telling people as much as it was how badly delayed Doomsday Clock became that caused all the confusion. (That plus who knows how much plans for that book may have changed between when it was originally conceived and when it actually hit the racks; it's not as if Johns hasn't planned/announced things before only to never have those things actually happen in the end.)
    Still waiting for that Aquaman Seven Seas epic.

As others said; started strong, then slowed, then after about 2 years or so, the wheels came off and while still labeled as Rebirth, pretty much nothing resembled it. A big part of that derailing, like another said, was the Snyder/DiDio/Bendis trio that really altered things, with King obviously contributing as well (Batman and Heroes in Crisis).

Best part about "Rebirth plan" is that we never saw it so people can imagine whatever the hell they want about it.

I think it started off really well. I liked New 52 Superman at the time so I was upset Superdad was taking his place, but besides that I thought everything else was pretty enjoyable.

The problems started when Geoff Johns, the architect of Rebirth, couldn’t get Doomsday Clock finished in time. The rest of DC had to stall as that story was supposed to be the big bookend of Rebirth. For a year or so it felt like everything was in a holding pattern and things got incredibly dull. Seemed like DC couldn’t hold their plans off any longer and let Bendis reboot the Legion and allowed Snyder to use the JSA in his Justice League run. So the big surprise at the end of Doomsday Clock felt like a huge let down because we had already seen the two teams return in other books.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think Johns had a plan, yeah. But then positions changed, he left being a main guiding hand and thus things became rather aimless. By the time Doomsday Clock came around, complete with huge delays, things were at a point where things had gone in different individual directions and thus moved on from that story actually mattering.
    That i understand and i agree, but i don't think he talking with other authors to coordinante the synergie between titles. Johns never do reference of works who precede him. For example which serve prelude like The Button and Superman Reborn. And it was before they are delay with Doomsday Clock. For me one of the failure of DC Rebirth it because of Johns who don't think to work more in concert with the others authors and let this position to go in the movies sector. (And Didio and Harras are behind to, i don't forget that)

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

It got me to stop reading comic books I didn't wanna pay for double shipped books especially when the quality didn't seem worth.

Judging by some comments looks like I made the right choice.

After 3 Jokers, DDC etc glad it never came out lol
    Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan; 04-17-2021 at 07:42 AM.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

What do you guys think Johns' plan for Rebirth was?

I have a feeling that it played out exactly as expected, but with HiC added in, and Death Metal serving as an additional continuity reset that was already done by DDC.

Astonishing Member

I'm still pissed that the storylines from Booster Gold (2007) were never finished. Just who was the Black Beetle anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post

I have a feeling that it played out exactly as expected, but with HiC added in, and Death Metal serving as an additional continuity reset that was already done by DDC.
    I think it changed from what it started as. He knew he was out the door so he laid a foundation that others could work with, instead of putting out something in Granite it's now silly putty.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

According to Rucka, whatever the plan was, it was not told to him or his editors, and he doubted there really was a plan aside from trying to course correct from what wasn't working about the New 52, which had severed a lot of fans' connection with the DCU by removing its legacy and heart.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

There was no plan. He even said at a panel he wasn't even planning on write a big event story like doomsday clock till he got the idea for the comic when trump became president or something like that.