Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Does Morrison/Sharp GL count as a part of Rebirth? If so then this is another thing that I enjoyed.
    No. That entire series used the replacement DC Universe branding.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I loved DC Rebirth for the most part, it was a welcome return to form after the disastrous direction of the New 52 and DCYou years. I was barely reading any DC Comics and was about to drop DC from my pull list before the Rebirth Panel at Wonder Con. DC's new lineup of comics felt both traditional and fresh with the return of classic characters like Wally West and the introduction of new characters like Jon Kent. During the couple of years that Rebirth lasted, I felt more excited about DC than I've ever felt during the New 52 or the current immensely disappointing era. I believe the major pros and cons were:

Pros: Super Sons and Superman from Tomasi/Gleason, Priest's Deathstroke run, Yang's introduction of Kenan Kong in New Super-Man, Venditti's Green Lantern Corps, Orlando's Supergirl. Although I didn't read many of their issues, I heard that Aquaman and Flash's Rebirth runs were good as well.

Cons: Justice League from Hitch was mediocre at its best and bland at its worst, Titans was a big disappointment after the first arc and I wasn't keen on how the Titans and Wally were treated. I wasn't keen on Tynion's Detective Comics, King's Batman was a bloated mess that cemented my dislike of King's writing style and Superwoman was sabotaged by the retcons of Superman Reborn.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The main problem with Rebirth is it seemed like they had a plan at first and then they abandoned it to just let everyone do whatever they hell they wanted. Rebirth started out strong and you could tell they were heading towards something. Then Didio scrapped it all and let the unholy trinity of Bendis, King, and Snyder just go crazy and do whatever they wanted not caring if it fit into the original plan they had or not which created a gigantic clusterfuck. It was this "just do whatever you want" attitude which is what got us to where we are now where nothing matters and no one cares and DC comics as we know it is barreling over a cliff and readers are jumping ship in mass.

Speaking of the JL, what’s the point after that darkest knight incident? Do you think they’re following a post crisis storyline where Hippolyta replaces her daughter as the new Wonder Woman, and somehow with Jon replacing Clark? Regarding the latter, I just found out a new project called Superman and the authority or something like that, hence the question.

I think Authority is a repurposed 5G story, like most of Future State was. As such, it counts as an Elseworld.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I think it was an important course correction that, in some ways, continues to this day. The idea of restoring all the things that the New 52 wiped out (classic stories & continuity, relationships, legacies) and making it a plot point in-universe was a great one. It's just that...the big pay-off never really came. Or rather, it came in bits and pieces over the years as plans changed and projects got delayed. To the extent where I don't really know when ''Rebirth'' ended, or if it ended.

I mean, if you look at all the big things teased at the start of Rebirth, I guess most of them happened over time, but some of them almost as an after-thought.

The big crossover between the DCU and Watchmen for instance did happen in Doomsday Clock - which was seemingly shunted off to its own parallel continuity. The Three Jokers became another Elseworlds/Black Label book that, while interesting, has zero impact or relevance in the larger scheme of things. I guess most Pre-Flashpoint characters and histories were restored over time, not with a bang but a whimper. The JSA for the most part is still MIA and the mystery of their disappearnce and how they fit into current continuity has yet to be solved. The original plan for Generations might have given us a new stable DC continuity and marked the end of the Rebirth project...but now that's been scrapped.

In the meantime, we've also gotten two different frameworks for how DC continuity now works - the Metaverse from Doomsday Clock, and the new Omniverse from Death Metal...not to mention the Linearverse from Generations which may or may not be related to the Omniverse.

So yeah, the intentions behind Rebirth were great, but the plan just sort of petered out somewhere along the way and we don't even know if the Rebirth agenda was finally fulfilled or not.

It restored my interest in DC after Flash: Rebirth, Flashpoint and Nu52 killed much of it. Wally West was back, the Super-Family with Clark, Lois and Jon was what I wanted when DC introduced 'Chris Kent' waaaay back and Rucka mostly fixed Wonder Woman.

However, I'm not sure how any new fan is supposed to navigate through all of this. It felt like this grand opening where the curtains crashed mid way through the opening.

Well planned in the beginning, but ultimately felt pretty dull. Purely targeted toward the 30-40 somethings. Which I fall into but personally I was over it. Although to be fair I think that's been the main demographic for decades now regardless, so that isn't unique, maybe just a little more on the nose. Pretty benign for the most part, just dull, except for Superman which I place the most blame on this era for planting the seeds that were used to create the inexplicably terrible place his line is in now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-15-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well planned in the beginning, but ultimately felt pretty dull.
    Considering stuff like Superwoman, Wally spinning wheels till now and JSA still missing I find it hard to believe.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It excited me and led to me picking up some good titles again, but overall execution on most of its biggest promises were too little, too late and led to me tuning out for a while.

Extraordinary Member

I see it as the counterpoint to the New 52, in ways both good and bad.

Like the New 52, it’s started out string, with some momentum, direction, and glee, and saw some genuine success.

Then, like the New 52, it eventually started succumbing to editorials’ inadequacies and biases both in terms of staff and creativity.

Both had a small honeymoon period that was generally pretty good, then some chaos for a while on the middle, then some just plain failures afterwards.

Probably the only real difference was that Didio and others briefly tried embracing things they’d previously hated, like legacy characters... until Didio and others clearly started trying to wreck some legacy character again because of their bias.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Spectacular Member

I have a true question. Do you think that there was a real plan in the beginning of DC Rebirth ?

We know Johns would do a crossover with Watchmen with Doomsday Clock. But did he talking about this plan with other authors ? For example the case of Mr. Oz. It was the plan of Johns that was Jor-El ? Why he don't reference The Button and Superman Reborn who was prelude to Doomsday Clock ? The others Authors know where to go when Doomsday Clock begin ? It's was really showning the futur of DCU originally ?

When i see in beginning in some titles (Justice League, Trinity, Hal Jordan and the GL Corps, Titans, Justice League of America) who tease something of big and it never happenned. I generally Think than Johns never tell the entire plan and the stage for the DCU to the other authors.

What do you think ? Do you have this impression ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    I have a true question. Do you think that there was a real plan in the beginning of DC Rebirth ?

We know Johns would do a crossover with Watchmen with Doomsday Clock. But did he talking about this plan with other authors ? For example the case of Mr. Oz. It was the plan of Johns that was Jor-El ? Why he don't reference The Button and Superman Reborn who was prelude to Doomsday Clock ? The others Authors know where to go when Doomsday Clock begin ? It's was really showning the futur of DCU originally ?

When i see in beginning in some titles (Justice League, Trinity, Hal Jordan and the GL Corps, Titans, Justice League of America) who tease something of big and it never happenned. I generally Think than Johns never tell the entire plan and the stage for the DCU to the other authors.

What do you think ? Do you have this impression ?
    I don't think it was Johns not telling people as much as it was how badly delayed Doomsday Clock became that caused all the confusion. (That plus who knows how much plans for that book may have changed between when it was originally conceived and when it actually hit the racks; it's not as if Johns hasn't planned/announced things before only to never have those things actually happen in the end.)

I think Johns had a plan, yeah. But then positions changed, he left being a main guiding hand and thus things became rather aimless. By the time Doomsday Clock came around, complete with huge delays, things were at a point where things had gone in different individual directions and thus moved on from that story actually mattering. Now, had he stuck around I'm not saying that plan would have 100% seen fruition anyway, because these things are known to be altered regardless (Trinity War for example). Planning things out and seeing them through are two very different things at DC. But just that him leaving was obviously a definitive slamming shut on that door.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-16-2021 at 02:32 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

About the only thing that came out of it that I liked was Rucka's WW origin and ironically even that isn't canon anymore. I should quantify this by saying that I was a fan of the New 52 Superman so I don't have a high opninon of the concept in general. The way they brought back the pre-Flashpoint Superman was so hamfisted and was handled so poorly. A lot of the good stuff from New 52, like Morrison's origin for Superman, was thrown out just because people didn't like the direction of the books. It wasn't a "merger", it was the pre-Flashpoint Superman where he had a short period where he wore the New 52 costume. Mother Panic was good but that didn't last either. So it just seemed like it was an excuse to undo the New 52 in the most sloppy way possible.
    Assassinate Putin!