Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Creed III no Rocky?

I'm a little surprised that Creed III isn't bringing Rocky back. I think they should. If you want to give the character an exit that's fine. Just pull a Mickey like in Rocky III where he's traning Adonis and then have him succumb to a heart attack or something. Then introduce a new trainer and have the final fight be about honoring Rocky's last advise to Adonis. An offscreen death is just awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm a little surprised that Creed III isn't bringing Rocky back. I think they should. If you want to give the character an exit that's fine. Just pull a Mickey like in Rocky III where he's traning Adonis and then have him succumb to a heart attack or something. Then introduce a new trainer and have the final fight be about honoring Rocky's last advise to Adonis. An offscreen death is just awkward.
    Maybe Stallone just didn't want to do it?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I thought they really should have downplayed Rocky from the get-go and treat him like a supporting character in someone else's film that we the audience just happen to know a lot about. (I never saw the second one, so I can't speak on that)

I'm certainly curious to see what the next film will do. Maybe he can be trained by Clubber Lang this time...

I thought this was know for a while now. Back in like 2018 shortly after Creed 2 came out Stallone had mentioned he was done with the character of Rocky. Creed 2 provided a great sub plot/ character arch for Rocky that was a good send off. I do feel the Creed films should find their own voice now and not rely on Rocky and his legacy to play large roles in Creeds son's story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I thought this was know for a while now. Back in like 2018 shortly after Creed 2 came out Stallone had mentioned he was done with the character of Rocky. Creed 2 provided a great sub plot/ character arch for Rocky that was a good send off. I do feel the Creed films should find their own voice now and not rely on Rocky and his legacy to play large roles in Creeds son's story.
    Stallone isn't done with Rocky. He said he was done with Creed because Adonis can't get the spotlight if Rocky is still there. He believes it should stand on its own now and, in a way, I agree with him. As much as I love the chemistry between them, Jordan is capable to carry it alone now and he should. The wrapping up of the lingering thread with the Drago's means there is nothing more there for the two of them.

Stallone says he has a idea for a Rocky story where Rocky comes across a young immigrant and takes him under his wing. There is also the prequel series with Rocky as a kid/teenager. The latter i feel is a silly idea (despite the fact Rocky's history still raises questions). I'd much rather a series or film with a young mickey to be honest.

Stallone is never done. Dude is now saying he might do another Rambo and go with the "being chased by the cops and hides in a Indian reservation" idea.

Astonishing Member

Rehashing is not a great idea. There was talk Creed 3 might feature Clubber's kid as his opponent and I just rolled my eyes.

The thing with Creed is this - it played it trump card too early. Creed 2 should have had him get serious coverage post the fight with Conlan and have him win the title mid film and ended with the first bout with Drago (the film also paralleling his rise as well), then have 3 with Creed depressed and his life starting to unravel before Rocky helps him get his step back and challenge Drago again and winning in Moscow.

It only had enough story for a trilogy. Instead they lumped everything into Creed 2.

You have not taken into account of Stallone's MASSIVE ego. Remember this is the guy that insisted he take off Dredd's helmet even though the lore is taking off the helmet is absolutely verboten in the comics. Read an article how his domestic-staff isn't allowed to look him in the face & must address him as, "Sir".

Yeah, he's a dick.

Adrian and Paulie were killed off screen although Talia Shire and Burt Young are still around, so perhaps this will happen with Rocky as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    You have not taken into account of Stallone's MASSIVE ego. Remember this is the guy that insisted he take off Dredd's helmet even though the lore is taking off the helmet is absolutely verboten in the comics. Read an article how his domestic-staff isn't allowed to look him in the face & must address him as, "Sir".

Yeah, he's a dick.
    I dont fault a celeb for having an ego because we as a society enable them so much. Magazines and tv shows about their personal lives, people acting like these stars are bigger then god like in a magazine how they have a stars are just like us section where they show a celeb buying milk or walking their dog like that is so far beneath them they should be celebrated when they do it. I mean look at how people are losing their mind about Prince Philip dying.

So when society acts like this about celebs of course many are going to get an ego. Then after we build them up so much and tell them how much better then us they are we get mad when they act like it. A huge double standard.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen the second film and finished it?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

There isn't anywhere to take Rocky. After he reconcile with his son his story ended.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you seen the second film and finished it?
    Not yet but I plan to. It looks pretty good

Not yet but I plan to. It looks pretty good
    Well first, don't read the post right above yours until you do.

Past that, see if you feel the same way about all of this after you've seen the whole film.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Adrian and Paulie were killed off screen although Talia Shire and Burt Young are still around, so perhaps this will happen with Rocky as well.
    They'll never kill him off. They wanted to do that in Rocky 5 and it didn't happen because they knew the backlash it would cause. Stallone would never let them do it anyway, because it is a role he can always come back to if his career needs a boost.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post

Yeah, he's a dick.
    The shoot on Dredd 95 was troubled from the get-go due to the differing views: Danny Cannon and the screenwriter were dead set on keeping the story/film the same as the comic (mostly anyone who was British), and the studios and Stallone wanted to "americanize" it. I think Stallone loved the concept of the comic: the idea of law taken to the ultimate extreme in a chaotic society. But he just didn't get the character.

I think the belief was Stallone had to show his face because 1. Stallone felt he was the main selling point and 2. The studio didn't want to hire him and have his face covered by the helmet for the entire movie. Of course, he sings a different tune now and says he should have kept the helmet on and the studio should have made compromises.