Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I don't think people are thinking too small. Direct market isn't too big and Xmen books are liting the book market on fire either.
    Usually I like quality over quantity. Even a retailer said that the books aren't doing good on sales, they are just launching books because of good PR, Cebulski still backing them.
    Avengers also prefered to get just one book to focus atention and sales.
    I've been advocating for years for a weekly X-Men book to be published alongside a couple of spin-off books at most, to replace all those satellite titles that struggle to get to issue 20. A mix of a single creative team working on the same issue/story and multiple creators working on the same issue, with the focus shifting across multiple stories and characters every issue but with an overarching story to justify having everything in the same book. The blueprint being DC's excellent weekly series 52 from the early naughties.

You basically do SWORD and X-Factor etc but you call it X-Men. A lot more coordination would be necessary from the creators and editors but obviously they'd enjoy higher sales by virtue of being condensed into the same flagship book.

I believe the reason why Marvel has always shied away from this kind of endeavour is that the uplifts and press they get whenever they launch a new X-book is a short-term gain they're too attached to, but longer-term I strongly believe it would benefit their sales immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Dang. I feel like the only one who thinks tini howard has been kicking butt with excalibur ��
    It’s not my cup of tea, but you’re definitely not the only one lol. People are just very vocal about their dislike of titles they should have stopped reading.

the misplaced optimism around here is staggering. some of you all need to take off your rose colored glasses.

the x office has been a dismal failure since issue 544

jordan white's handling of the books is a failure but it seems the peter principle is in effect with him and his crop of x-writers.

i predict hickman will ultimately be sidelined and this will all become an convoluted mess by the end of it.

the end will be all the mutants waking up in a matrix like control room and it was all a forced dream by Dark Beast.

and then bendis will be back in time to relaunch a All New, All Exciting All Spectacular, All Uncanny X-Men. lol

marvel, lol. what a joke.
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.

Astonishing Member

It’ll probably be a Planet X ongoing/mini/maxi

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I've been advocating for years for a weekly X-Men book to be published alongside a couple of spin-off books at most, to replace all those satellite titles that struggle to get to issue 20. A mix of a single creative team working on the same issue/story and multiple creators working on the same issue, with the focus shifting across multiple stories and characters every issue but with an overarching story to justify having everything in the same book. The blueprint being DC's excellent weekly series 52 from the early naughties.

You basically do SWORD and X-Factor etc but you call it X-Men. A lot more coordination would be necessary from the creators and editors but obviously they'd enjoy higher sales by virtue of being condensed into the same flagship book.

I believe the reason why Marvel has always shied away from this kind of endeavour is that the uplifts and press they get whenever they launch a new X-book is a short-term gain they're too attached to, but longer-term I strongly believe it would benefit their sales immensely.
    What's wrong with titles that don't last that long? People act like every book needs to be 50+ issues and make Batman level numbers for it to be successful.

Also, I really doubt Marvel is losing it over their books not selling a ton. Something tells me they have other sources for making tons loads of money.

I've always seen these books more as advertising than some magical source of money. Some of the smaller books (that people always want cancelled cause of low sales) are now being made into huge media darlings. A book about the Scarlett Witch and Vision exclusively wouldn't last long but it's now a hit show.

These fear of books that don't sell well and only last 10-12 issues is kind of ridiculous, and would only lead to only Wolverine-dominated books being out there. S.W.O.R.D might not be breaking sales but it will be remembered and will expand the X-Men universe furthermore giving their movie/tv channels the resources to are buck off these minor concepts that tend to flame out in comic format.

Personally, I welcome even more minor books allowing even more niche characters to shine. I barely buy half the current books, and that hasn't affected how I enjoy the line. If something important happens in a book I'm not reading, I'll hear about it in the recap threads here or on other sites.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 04-09-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    What's wrong with titles that don't last that long? People act like every book needs to be 50+ issues and make Batman level numbers for it to be successful.

Also, I really doubt Marvel is losing it over their books not selling a ton. Something tells me they have other sources for making tons loads of money.

I've always seen these books more as advertising than some magical source of money. Some of the smaller books (that people always want cancelled cause of low sales) are now being made into huge media darlings. A book about the Scarlett Witch and Vision exclusively wouldn't last long but it's now a hit show.

These fear of books that don't sell well and only last 10-12 issues is kind of ridiculous, and would only lead to only Wolverine-dominated books being out there. S.W.O.R.D might not be breaking sales but it will be remembered and will expand the X-Men universe furthermore giving their movie/tv channels the resources to are buck off these minor concepts that tend to flame out in comic format.
    The Publishing division needs to be profitable and every single book needs to at least break even in order to continue to be published. It's true that every book can be used as a potential source of storylines for media consumption... but it will only be published as long as it's profitable.

A weekly can be a really big help to move the line and bring some excitement.
    The problem is tht weekly needs months of preparation before even announcing. It's a lot of work. Marvel did some good weeklies on Avengers books.
    The last uncanny relaunch was weekly and there was a Wolverine weekly.

Maybe making the books with back up stories could help the line. Like instead of getting 2 books with 8 bucks, you get them on one book by $5,99 or $6,99.
    DC has been doing this on some of their books

Mighty Member

The Publishing division needs to be profitable and every single book needs to at least break even in order to continue to be published. It's true that every book can be used as a potential source of storylines for media consumption... but it will only be published as long as it's profitable.
    So Marvel is having money problems? If a Guardians of the Galaxy book gets cancelled due to low sales, does that mean Marvel will stop making their movies? Should the other niche Marvel shows that are huge hits also get cancelled because their books don't sell? Captain Marvel used to get really low sales (not sure now) and that books got renewed every two seconds. That's cause her comics were used as advertisement for her movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It’s not my cup of tea, but you’re definitely not the only one lol. People are just very vocal about their dislike of titles they should have stopped reading.
    Yeah its just weird to me that people dedicate so much of their time to things they don’t like. The new mutants are like my favorite team and i sub to the book for that reason. However, i find the book to be extremely dull and even pointless at times with all the other books going on. I don’t come on here knocking the book though cuz that’s just lame. I dunno i guess i think people are to consumed with negative thinking and it shows.

This is true and marvel studios has hundreds of talented writers doing pitches all the time. They do't need comics to be the only source, specialy if not profitable
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-09-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    So Marvel is having money problems? If a Guardians of the Galaxy book gets cancelled due to low sales, does that mean Marvel will stop making their movies? Should the other niche Marvel shows that are huge hits also get cancelled because their books don't sell? Captain Marvel used to get really low sales (not sure now) and that books got renewed every two seconds. That's cause her comics were used as advertisement for her movie.
    Comic books are not movies. Comic books need to make their own profit. If Marvel decide to keep relaunching a book, they'll keep relaunching that book, but it will still be cancelled the moment it stops being profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    the misplaced optimism around here is staggering. some of you all need to take off your rose colored glasses.

the x office has been a dismal failure since issue 544

jordan white's handling of the books is a failure but it seems the peter principle is in effect with him and his crop of x-writers.

i predict hickman will ultimately be sidelined and this will all become an convoluted mess by the end of it.

the end will be all the mutants waking up in a matrix like control room and it was all a forced dream by Dark Beast.

and then bendis will be back in time to relaunch a All New, All Exciting All Spectacular, All Uncanny X-Men. lol

marvel, lol. what a joke.
    I love watching people get angry about things they made up themselves.

Comic books are not movies. Comic books need to make their own profit. If Marvel decide to keep relaunching a book, they'll keep relaunching that book, but it will still be cancelled the moment it stops being profitable.
    Where is the data showing falling sales for x-books? Everything i have seen has been pretty good regarding the xbooks in general.

Where is the data showing falling sales for x-books? Everything i have seen has been pretty good regarding the xbooks in general.
    Some people feel if they say bad sales enough it will be true. at the very least they could provide some data.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This YouTube video which was discussed on these forums some time ago sums it all up rather clearly: