Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mauraders #19

Fantastic Member

Especially good issue for Callisto and the Morlocks.

Iceman and Pyro's character development dialogue sounded kind of awkward to me, as if Duggan just remembering, "Oh yeah, I need to do something with these guys" but I'm glad they're actually getting character development. Interesting that they seem to be going in opposite directions. Iceman is becoming more aggressive and ruthless with his powers, and Pyro is learning restraint. I appreciate that they seem to be buddies. Wish we'd gotten to see their Fire and Ice Show, which was no doubt a giant flaming penis ice sculpture.

Duggan won a bunch of points from me this issue just for "Pyrogarita."

Also, Bishop got to do something, yay!

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Callisto gathers Masque, Bliss, Marrow, Brute (big muscular mutant who worked for Masque) and Hump (big muscular mutant who worked for Masque) to go and deal with the Reavers.

Masque is not very happy since it's "his day off", but goes along because the hospital he has grown to like working in could be under attack too.

A man and his adult daughter are getting attacked by Reavers. One kills the man with an energy beam, but before he can attack the woman too, Masque hits him over the head with his cane.
    While the Reavers are distracted Marrow jumps down on one and stabs him with two swords. Brute throws an object with so much velocity it cuts a Reaver appart at the mid section.
    He wonders if the Reavers still count as humans. They do seem to only dissable them though. Bliss does her part by poisoning one of the Reavers with her mouth thing. Brute and Hump play "wishbone" with a Reaver.

With the Reavers finaly driven off, the Morlocks go into the bar which Bishop and co. bought in the previous issue.
    While the woman is still shaken over having lost her father, Marrow notes that she should be glad she had a father at least (they also placed him on a pool table with coins over his eyes as a wake) and offers her the job to run the bar for them so she can make a living.

Masque is having a drink and notes that it's nice having people who like him for once, before they will eventualy drive him out of town as angry mob as per usual. However one of the townsfolk remarks that the mutants are becomming heros for the townsfolk, Masque included
    Thank you, really appreciate your summary.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Seeing how the Morlocks had some moments to shine here, i was thinking how it could be nice if in the next X-men cartoon (i hope there will be one) could actualy show them as more self-reliant and perhaps somewhat more splintered into (allied) groups.

Rather than just the hidden village of tribalistic homeless mutants, who need outsiders to help them do anything and are mostly brought in to be victims. I think jay and Miles refered to this depiction as "The X-man's Burden" because of how the Morlocks came across as helpless and without agency in the story where Mikhail Rasputin eventualy drowned them.

So considering how in the post Mutant Massacre situation we learned the Morlocks had a lot more subfaction, it would be interesting to have the next cartoon reflect that a bit. Or at least expand them into it over time.

You could have the peacefull main faction who just want to be left alone but can provide for themself and take care of one another. Callisto's more active group of fighters and punks serving as guardians for the main faction and potentialy having some strife with the X-men, the more insidious and agressive extremists Tunnelers under Masque and finaly the "in your face" second gen youths of Gene Nation who want to show themself to the world and cause trouble instead of giving normal humans the benefit of staying hidden.

The full bandwith of occasional villains, allies, or people in need of help.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Thank you, really appreciate your summary.
    It was original much more detailed, but i cut it down to the important bits involving the Morlocks, since you still want to read it properly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Seeing how the Morlocks had some moments to shine here, i was thinking how it could be nice if in the next X-men cartoon (i hope there will be one) could actualy show them as more self-reliant and perhaps somewhat more splintered into (allied) groups.

Rather than just the hidden village of tribalistic homeless mutants, who need outsiders to help them do anything and are mostly brought in to be victims. I think jay and Miles refered to this depiction as "The X-man's Burden" because of how the Morlocks came across as helpless and without agency in the story where Mikhail Rasputin eventualy drowned them.

So considering how in the post Mutant Massacre situation we learned the Morlocks had a lot more subfaction, it would be interesting to have the next cartoon reflect that a bit. Or at least expand them into it over time.

You could have the peacefull main faction who just want to be left alone but can provide for themself and take care of one another. Callisto's more active group of fighters and punks serving as guardians for the main faction and potentialy having some strife with the X-men, the more insidious and agressive extremists Tunnelers under Masque and finaly the "in your face" second gen youths of Gene Nation who want to show themself to the world and cause trouble instead of giving normal humans the benefit of staying hidden.

The full bandwith of occasional villains, allies, or people in need of help.
    That would be neat. I wondered long ago why there weren't more situations where a Morlock was able to exploit their abilities in some way, like a Morlock who could generate warmth and light having a little garden deep underground, where they grew a few food plants from seeds they'd smuggled down there.

It would be fun to find out that the reason that the Morlocks are generally avoiding Krakoa is because they had previously done a tiny precursor to Krakoa, down in the tunnels, with their own laws and sources of food and independence from the human world, and they remember all too well how that worked out.

And these Krakoa people actually *invited Sinister* to their mutant-only enclave, the man who burned their precursor down. They don't need a crystal ball to see where this is going.

As for Morlock factions, you mention the Tunnelers, and gosh, I'd pay real money for Scaleface to come back. She was my favorite Morlock, in that one appearance in X-Factor.

It amuses me how we go ga-ga over these one-shot characters. Somewhere out there, all of Tommy's fans are waiting eagerly for her to return!
    Last edited by Sutekh; 04-08-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Really enjoyed Jean's appearance in this issue. Very unconventional portrayal of her abilities, but it's a bold new direction for her.
    It's kind of weird she looks like that, as Masque only made Bliss look like Jean temporarily as a prank to mess with the X-Men years ago. Maybe she just liked it and kept the look.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

As I never heard of Humpo and Brute before, I looked upo where they debuted and ordered the tpb immediately (Cable and the New Mutants). Haha, no time wasted.

However, I do recalled a guy called Brute in the AoA crossover, was he suppose to be the AoA version of this Brurte, would anyone know that here?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That would be neat. I wondered long ago why there weren't more situations where a Morlock was able to exploit their abilities in some way, like a Morlock who could generate warmth and light having a little garden deep underground, where they grew a few food plants from seeds they'd smuggled down there.

It would be fun to find out that the reason that the Morlocks are generally avoiding Krakoa is because they had previously done a tiny precursor to Krakoa, down in the tunnels, with their own laws and sources of food and independence from the human world, and they remember all too well how that worked out.

And these Krakoa people actually *invited Sinister* to their mutant-only enclave, the man who burned their precursor down. They don't need a crystal ball to see where this is going.
    Over time i came to like the idea for the Morlocks to be like one of these anarchistic communities which were created in the 70's as counter culture attempt at creating "new societies" like Freetown Christiania in Denmark which still exists today

Because i considered it would both make more sense and be more understandable, than turning into a savage land-ish tribe somehow oblivious to the actual world and society outside the tunnels, despite not even one generation disconnected from it.

So yeah a proto-Krakoa would be an interesting depiction.

I think at least one understandable reason for the Morlocks deciding to be their own thing outside Krakoas is that they spend decades under the identity of their own mutant society and were constantly attacked, decimated and scattered yet somehow always reforming back into a group.

What ever it was a good society/culture or not, it was a shared identity that connected these people and had them come back for another regulary.

So when the "beautifull and powerfull" come around suddently claiming "we are THE mutant society/culture" and building their own nation, why should the Morlocks give up their identitiy, the one they lived so long with and got harmed for and join this new collective?

Hence why it makes sense they would want to remain as their own culture, albeit brothers and sisters with the new society.

Oh and Sinister on the council, plus their own experience is of course is a major no-no aswell. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As for Morlock factions, you mention the Tunnelers, and gosh, I'd pay real money for Scaleface to come back. She was my favorite Morlock, in that one appearance in X-Factor.

It amuses me how we go ga-ga over these one-shot characters. Somewhere out there, all of Tommy's fans are waiting eagerly for her to return!
    It's said every character has at least one fan. Morlocks often come with interesting designs and unanswered backstories, so no surprise.