Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

While many of Tyler Perry's films and television shows aren't that great, I respect him a lot. His work ethic is insane and what he does for the community is also commendable. I mean he gives a lot of black actors other opportunities to be in feature films and television shows that might not have the chance other wise. Plus his film studio in Atlanta is very impressive. I will say I enjoy the Madea character in small doses and out of all his films, I think Diary of a Mad Black Woman, I can Do Bad All By Myself, Madea Big Happy Family, to be entertaining and have decent messages. But Madea/ Tyler Perry movies (at least originally) were firmly targeted towards black people/ black Christians. So if you don't fall into that group, I could see how his films and stuff would turn you off or not interest you. Though now a lot of his films and television shows are aimed at a wider audience.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 04-12-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Niffleheim

can someone argue that most of Tyler Perry's whole body of work is built on black stereotypes?

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i think madea content of any setting kind of fits with the showtime brand, or maybe cinemax

maybe in 20 years they can fall into the ironic bad watch fests like "The Room" or 70s-80s horror B-movies, although bad comedy is harder to overcome than bad drama or bad action

also tyler perry was good in that star trek movie

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i think madea content of any setting kind of fits with the showtime brand, or maybe cinemax

maybe in 20 years they can fall into the ironic bad watch fests like "The Room" or 70s-80s horror B-movies, although bad comedy is harder to overcome than bad drama or bad action

also tyler perry was good in that star trek movie
    He was in a Star Trek movie???!!! But yes he has done other more mainstream roles that were received well like his role in Gone Girl.

I think tyler perrys non comdy movie's are really funny and are at least entertaining I think acrimony is one of he's best but he probably didn't mean it to be a comedy....

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    He was in a Star Trek movie???!!!
    Small role; he was a Starfleet admiral in the 2009 J.J. Abrams film.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I didn't say they were? No offense if you like the movies but it's my right to say they are terrible if that's my opinion. But to be totally honest it is my job to review movies so someone is kinda making me watch them lol
    No one said you didn’t have the right to say they are terrible, but it’s seems odd and unprofessional for a critic to be on this type of forum.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    No one said you didn’t have the right to say they are terrible, but it’s seems odd and unprofessional for a critic to be on this type of forum.
    Um I got the Job talking about movie's on a message board with my future boss I talk about movie's with friends and family it's what I do I talk about upcoming movie's what movies I think are going to suck movie news eviything movie's I can do whatever I want in my personal life Post anything I want nothing unprofessional about it a cook can still talk about food online with friends and so on I mean it's not like I'm posting gorverment secrets or anything.......
    Last edited by choptop; 04-13-2021 at 01:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Um I got the Job talking about movie's on a message board with my future boss I talk about movie's with friends and family it's what I do I talk about upcoming movie's what movies I think are going to suck movie news eviything movie's I can do whatever I want in my personal life Post anything I want nothing unprofessional about it a cook can still talk about food online with friends and so on I mean it's not like I'm posting gorverment secrets or anything.......
    I think it's more that your posts don't come across as polished or professional so tacking it onto your critique just comes across as trying to give your opinions more weight than they actually have.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think it's more that your posts don't come across as polished or professional so tacking it onto your critique just comes across as trying to give your opinions more weight than they actually have.
    Lol whatever I'm a c or d list reviewer not a writer even if I was a A list my opinion wouldn't have anymore weight then yours I don't spend much time on my posts here as a lot of the time I'm very busy and post on the go this is just for fun for me really I don't understand why this is a big deal? And for Madea of all things?

Lol whatever I'm a c or d list reviewer not a writer even if I was a A list my opinion wouldn't have anymore weight then yours I don't spend much time on my posts here as a lot of the time I'm very busy and post on the go this is just for fun for me really I don't understand why this is a big deal? And for Madea of all things?
    Then why post it as a credential at all?

Then why post it as a credential at all?
    I don't think I did? luprki was saying something like no one is making you watch Madea I replied with a joke that it's my job to watch stuff so someone kinda is making me watch it. For real what's the problem it's a off the cuff comment that has no effect on anything but for some reason is a big deal to you guys.....

I don't think I did? luprki was saying something like no one is making you watch Madea I replied with a joke that it's my job to watch stuff so someone kinda is making me watch it. For real what's the problem it's a off the cuff comment that has no effect on anything but for some reason is a big deal to you guys.....
    You did, it's literally there in your post.

As to why it's being called out: because one it doesn't match with your posting style, and two because it's an often used tactic of intellectually dishonest people which when taken together makes it necessary to call out.

You did, it's literally there in your post.

As to why it's being called out: because one it doesn't match with your posting style, and two because it's an often used tactic of intellectually dishonest people which when taken together makes it necessary to call out.

It's a off the cuff comment about why i have to watch movies nothing more stop trying to make this into something it's not

You don't know anything about me my job or my reviews you've probably never even seen my work how can you possibly know what matchs? You do know way more work gos into reviews then a simple Post on a message board right? They are totally different anyway I'm done with this I will not be called dishonest stupid or disrespected by the internet police who thinks it's there Job to call people out on message board because they have hunch? For real you need to chill out....
    Last edited by choptop; 04-14-2021 at 02:02 AM.