Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Is racebending really the worst thing to happen to these characters?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Not as much as people claim. It got us Mamoa as Aquaman, and that probably should be cemented for Arthur going forward.

I'd definitely prefer a more visibly comic accurate casting for Clark. But if the actor is good and the writing for the character is overall faithful, it won't be the end of the world at all and could be great. Unlike with Arthur though, I wouldn't really want it to catch on across the board. I'm also dreading any insipid "the Superman concept never worked until they fixed him and made him black" think pieces.

Does it have to be the worst thing to be a crappy thing? Like, you can acknowledge that something could be a lot worse and yet still be completely unhappy with it. There's no pros, no positives, no gain in racebending in my opinion. It'd be better if they just use actually diverse POC characters. The MCU is doing it to great acclaim. There should be a Cyborg movie. John Stewart should have more media appearances. Naomi is getting a CW show I think. Amazing-Man should be getting out there. There should have been a Steel spin-off from MoS/BvS. Vixen should be a household name already, we all know that. Instead of making these characters a presence, they're just gonna re-color Clark Kent. That's lazy.

It's not the worst thing, but there's nothing to be happy over. The old argument that "Original POC characters don't sell books" means jack squat in the wider media world of today. They (AT&T/WB) can do better.

Ultimate Member

Original PoC get bashed too. So do characters based on templates of White characters.

Plus characters like Hawkman copied Egyptian mythology anyway.

One doesn't preclude the other, either. For the talk of Marvel pushing actual diverse characters, there are a number of racebending instances as well.

Ultimate Member

I'd say the MCU hasn't had the best track record, but it's getting better

Original PoC get bashed too. So do characters based on templates of White characters.

Plus characters like Hawkman copied Egyptian mythology anyway.
    Who cares if they get bashed by some trolls, they still do just fine on film and tv and streaming when given a chance and the product is good. So it's a crap excuse these days, those actual POC characters should get a shot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Who cares if they get bashed by some trolls, they still do just fine on film and tv and streaming when given a chance and the product is good. So it's a crap excuse these days, those actual POC characters should get a shot.
    They should, but I'm just giving reasons why studios don't always adapt PoC heroes

Relevant to this thread where Terrio complains that WB butchered his kino and he was the genius who had to correct their blunders: he wanted to call BvS “Son of Sun and Knight of Night”. Honestly I don’t know about you guys but that definitely sells me on him being the smart one in the room
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Relevant to this thread where Terrio complains that WB butchered his kino and he was the genius who had to correct their blunders: he wanted to call BvS “Son of Sun and Knight of Night”. Honestly I don’t know about you guys but that definitely sells me on him being the smart one in the room
    As cheesy as that sounds, that's actually a pretty clever use of homophones.

Gonna steal that for my pretentious album title.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    As cheesy as that sounds, that's actually a pretty clever use of homophones.
    It’s so dumb and pretentious it almost warps around and is good. Almost.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Oh Jesus lol.

I'd be all over that if it was on a Bronze Age DC comic cover, where there would be self aware fun involved at least. But for a "serious, mature" film? Yeah, that's a guarantee to make me laugh at you.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Terrio and Snyder are just so adorable sometimes.

Son of Sun & Knight of Night?

wow.

I swear Snyder is just trolling his fans at this point. Making them defend more and more ridiculous things.