Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Elongated Man Appreciation Thread 2021

Welcome to the 2021 Appreciation thread for the ELONGATED MAN!

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 10.09.25 AM.jpg

Incredible Member

Such a criminally underrated DC Superhero, one of a few who's secret identity is public.

Loved his team-ups with Flash, his rivalry with Plastic Man, and of course his beloved Sue Dibny.

Are there any differences to Elongated Man's powers over the other stretchable characters? How did EM get onto the JL team?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Truly enjoyed Ralph being a member of the SuperBuddies

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Plastic Man who?? Ralph is definitely my stretcher of choice!

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

And I've always been partial to the purple costume.

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Infantino cover to FLASH #112

Flash112.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Are there any differences to Elongated Man's powers over the other stretchable characters? How did EM get onto the JL team?
    What I heard: Elongated Man was created because someone did not know the Plastic Man could be used for the Justice League.

Therefore, their powers should be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    What I heard: Elongated Man was created because someone did not know the Plastic Man could be used for the Justice League.

Thanks scary.

Wow, instead of using an established character, someone chose not to ask and made up a completely new one! Well, I guess we could always use one more stretchy-guy, lol.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

Thanks scary.

Wow, instead of using an established character, someone chose not to ask and made up a completely new one! Well, I guess we could always use one more stretchy-guy, lol.
    I seem to recall a nuance on that story. Broome and Infantino had the character already drafted and ready to go. What Schwartz said is that he'd have never let them give EM so long a name had he realized that they could have used "Plastic Man." So most likely, Ralph would have been a Barry Allen to Eel O'Brien's Jay Garrick, rather than Plastic Man being revived for Flash.

it looks like they're bringing back ralph...

Plus, the name Elongated Man was a reference to Dashiell Hammett's novel The Thin Man, which inspired a series of movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles, a wealthy couple who loved to party and drink, have adventures, and solve mysteries. Ralph and Sue Dibny and their globe-trotting escapades and mystery-solving capers were inspired by Nick and Nora Charles, hence "Elongated Man" = Thin Man.

One major difference between Elongated Man and Plastic Man is that Ralph can only stretch his body parts, while Plastic Man's powers allow him to shape himself into an infinite number of shapes and objects (bouncing balls, parachutes, park benches, even vehicles). As a result, Plas would almost certainly be considered more powerful, but Ralph's greatest strength is as a top-notch detective -- almost a Batman-tier sleuth. That's one reason I was so disappointed in Bendis and Maleev's Event Leviathan miniseries, where Lois Lane put together a team of detectives including Batman, the Question, Green Arrow (since when is he a detective?), and Plastic Man instead of Ralph.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Thanks for the info, Big Bad! I love the Nick and Nora Charles (and Asta too!) Thin Man movies! But never knew they were a basis for EM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    Plus, the name Elongated Man was a reference to Dashiell Hammett's novel The Thin Man, which inspired a series of movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles, a wealthy couple who loved to party and drink, have adventures, and solve mysteries. Ralph and Sue Dibny and their globe-trotting escapades and mystery-solving capers were inspired by Nick and Nora Charles, hence "Elongated Man" = Thin Man.

One major difference between Elongated Man and Plastic Man is that Ralph can only stretch his body parts, while Plastic Man's powers allow him to shape himself into an infinite number of shapes and objects (bouncing balls, parachutes, park benches, even vehicles). As a result, Plas would almost certainly be considered more powerful, but Ralph's greatest strength is as a top-notch detective -- almost a Batman-tier sleuth. That's one reason I was so disappointed in Bendis and Maleev's Event Leviathan miniseries, where Lois Lane put together a team of detectives including Batman, the Question, Green Arrow (since when is he a detective?), and Plastic Man instead of Ralph.
    I adore the Thin Man series (especially the original), and I've often mentioned Ralph and Sue as a Nick and Nora riff, but I never fully put together in my head that The Charles' were so direct an influence on EM, even including the name.

My rereading has me at mid-1964, when Elongated Man took over the backup feature in Detective Comics from Martian Manhunter. In some ways, Ralph was kind of a less extreme Booster Gold for his time.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    it looks like they're bringing back ralph...

Oh hell yes. Now I have a really good reason to read a title I’d have skipped otherwise.