View Poll Results: Should other superheroes co-exist with Pattison's Batman?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 53.66%
  • No

    12 29.27%
  • Yes - but only 'grounded' street-level characters

    7 17.07%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 76
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Flashpoint is also introducing Supergirl (at this point with two Batmen and a Supergirl I fear Flashpoint is going to suffer from being too stuffed and thus sucking, but we will see).
    I watched It: Chapter Two for the first time last night. I'm afraid, very afraid. Not of an overstuffed movie and certainly not of a clown, but of a very bad movie.

  2. #47
    Mighty Member Samm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Honestly I donít know what Hamada has planned for the DCEU but looking at his track record itíll likely lead to huge success. He spearheaded the Horror division over at WB and is one of the reasons why WB is the dominant producer of horror films (Universal is their biggest competition). Looking at the upcoming slate, next year will be a huge year for DC and itís future! Batman, Black Adam, Flash and Aquaman is an incredibly strong slate of films! We havenít had a Batman solo in 10 years, Black Adam stars The Rock (a huge international star), The Flash is the DCEU first crossover event in 5 years spoilers:
    rumored to feature all the past Batmen (Ben Affleck, Christian Bale, Michael Keaton) possibly Pattinson)
    end of spoilers and the last one is a sequel to DCís biggest film of all time. Huge year for DC!

  3. #48
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I watched It: Chapter Two for the first time last night. I'm afraid, very afraid. Not of an overstuffed movie and certainly not of a clown, but of a very bad movie.
    Besides being movies I'm not sure what the connection between It: Chapter Two and Flashpoint are?
    I actually liked Chapter Two, it was fun, but it was clearly inferior to Chapter One.

    I hope Flashpoint isn't a very bad movie, but it's definitely not giving me the "this is gonna be a good movie" vibes currently.

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Besides being movies I'm not sure what the connection between It: Chapter Two and Flashpoint are?
    They have the same director.

  5. #50
    Mighty Member Samm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    They have the same director.
    To be fair he also directed the first film and that one was really good.

    Edit: Going by his track record we can at least expect a fresh tomato score on RT
    Last edited by Samm; 04-11-2021 at 08:42 PM.

  6. #51
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    They have the same director.
    That's not too damning, since he apparently directed Chapter One too and that was a creepy but absolutely fantastic film. And Chapter Two wasn't actually bad, just not as good as the first. So a mixed to mostly positive bag. But even a great director can only do so much with a bad script or studio interference.
    It's early days yet. I don't like what I know of this movie so far, but a good teaser trailer can always change things around.

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I have a question, because so far we have a lot of votes, but not much discussion on the reasons why we voted why we did so I'm curious to know people's answers here:

    Why, when we have the DCEU for the wider "family" (as in Super-family, Batfamily, Shazam family) and to handle the team up movies, is there a want/need to make the other separate earths, particularly "Earth 2/The Batman earth", wider shared earths like the DCEU themselves? If we have a universe already for characters to appear on for shared adventures and team ups, what is the point in making the one for The Batman shared too? I'm curious to know the reasoning here.
    I think its a way for people, especially those who didn't care for Snyder's DCEU, to move on from that continuity completely. They're assuming that this is the DCEU reboot earth basically, and that once WB is done with Gadot, Momoa and Miller, focus will shift to this new universe.

    Giving it a label like ''Earth 2'', even if it only ends up being an internal designation, doesn't help either since it leads people to assume this is going to be a full-blown universe with multiple DC characters and not just a self-contained universe for Reeves' Batman.

    Ultimately, who knows? My instincts tell me this is going to be a Batman-exclusive earth. But easter eggs and props from the set photos themselves tease the existence of a shared universe. And let's not forget that had Nolan not been vehemently against it, WB would have loved the Nolanverse to serve as the launchpad for the DCEU (its been rumored that Christian Bale was offered an insane amount of money to return for what eventually became BvS). So Reeves' grounded vision or not, you can imagine them pushing for it to be the start of a new shared universe.

  8. #53
    Astonishing Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    I don't have a strong opinion about this idea.
    WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE, IT ISN'T REBELLION, IT'S SURRENDER!

    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  9. #54
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,961

    Default

    I seriously doubt Pattinson would be on board with introducing a shared DC universe with his Batman. Heís made statements that seem to indicate that he doesnít think too highly of superheroes in general.

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...hy/2591148001/

    "Batman is not a superhero," Pattinson told host Willie Geist. "Itís weird, I always balk at it. It doesnít count. You need to have, like, magical powers or something."

  10. #55
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    Other heroes, for me.

    Yeah, Battinson starts off with just Alfred. But by end of movie or beginning of the sequel, we see him take in a young Dick Grayson, and tries to give Dick a "normal" life, while trying to keep his secret of being Batman from him. Dick obviously finds out, throws himself into a bad situation, but Battinson bails him out. From there, Battinson realizes Dick will keep doing this, and makes a deal; Dick trains for an amount of time, and when Battinson decides he's ready, suits him up, but under his supervision (and by 16 or so). From there, we can expand into the wide DC universe. First with Batgirl and other Gotham heroes, and then the Teen Titans when Dick heads out alone.

    Elsewhere, establish a better Superman than what Snyder made, and have a crossover NOT with them fighting as the big promo, but as more of "testing out the other guy" kind of thing, but team up to save the day. The team up, of course, would come after Superman's first film at the least. And go from there, with a bit of unseen help by a certain Amazon Princess.

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I seriously doubt Pattinson would be on board with introducing a shared DC universe with his Batman. He’s made statements that seem to indicate that he doesn’t think too highly of superheroes in general.

    "Batman is not a superhero," Pattinson told host Willie Geist. "It’s weird, I always balk at it. It doesn’t count. You need to have, like, magical powers or something."
    I seem to remember Christian Bale saying something similar. Frankly, it's kind of pretentious, don't you think? Not that Pattinson and Bale aren't each a great actor, 'cause they are.
    WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE, IT ISN'T REBELLION, IT'S SURRENDER!

    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  12. #57
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I seem to remember Christian Bale saying something similar. Frankly, it's kind of pretentious, don't you think? Not that Pattinson and Bale aren't each a great actor, 'cause they are.
    Yeah it definitely comes off as if he feels he’s above the superhero genre and he has to convince himself that Batman isn’t a lowlife superhero.

  13. #58
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    965

    Default

    I don't particularly care. For now, I just want them to focus on making good, self-contained movies. And if the need arises they can always pull a COIE and put all the good parts together and get rid of all the bad ones.

  14. #59
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sudbury, UK
    Posts
    1,981

    Default

    Please no.

    DC are doing better making individual movies (that sometimes reference a connected universe) but should now focus on completely separate adventures. Frankly, I'd have them drop any reference to each other going forward (except Flash which, for some reason, is entirely predicated on the DCEU).

    Make each film a good film rather than looking to broaden a franchise or even make sequels. That should be the very basis of film making and, like Joker, proves a singular film can make serious money.

    Also, I think audiences are wholesale rejecting shared universes outside of Marvel.

    DCEU failed, Universal's Dark Universe failed, the Godzilla/Kong Monsterverse failed to a degree (G:KotM didn't make a huge amount and MV was supposed to support spin-offs and other monster lead films), even Star Wars failed.

    I think the general audience tolerance is that Marvel did it first (they didn't but this is public opinion), they proved they can do it, they've been doing it well for over a decade, there is huge nostalgia for Marvel doing it, and the quality of the big Avengers films.

    They tend to see anything else as either ripping off Marvel, a cynical marketing device or, in Star Wars case, fatigue of a yearly schedule of movies of varying quality with a very narrow scope.
    Just. Be. Nice.

  15. #60
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Please no.

    DC are doing better making individual movies (that sometimes reference a connected universe) but should now focus on completely separate adventures. Frankly, I'd have them drop any reference to each other going forward (except Flash which, for some reason, is entirely predicated on the DCEU).

    Make each film a good film rather than looking to broaden a franchise or even make sequels. That should be the very basis of film making and, like Joker, proves a singular film can make serious money.

    Also, I think audiences are wholesale rejecting shared universes outside of Marvel.

    DCEU failed, Universal's Dark Universe failed, the Godzilla/Kong Monsterverse failed to a degree (G:KotM didn't make a huge amount and MV was supposed to support spin-offs and other monster lead films), even Star Wars failed.

    I think the general audience tolerance is that Marvel did it first (they didn't but this is public opinion), they proved they can do it, they've been doing it well for over a decade, there is huge nostalgia for Marvel doing it, and the quality of the big Avengers films.

    They tend to see anything else as either ripping off Marvel, a cynical marketing device or, in Star Wars case, fatigue of a yearly schedule of movies of varying quality with a very narrow scope.
    The problem with many of those is they didn't do it correctly. It's not inherently a problem with shared universes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •