View Poll Results: Should other superheroes co-exist with Pattison's Batman?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 53.66%
  • No

12 29.27%
  • Yes - but only 'grounded' street-level characters

7 17.07%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Yes, but they should put out a slate and stick to it.
    why is it so damn hard, why does a slate work for Marvel but not for DC smh.
    To answer your question with another question: who else has succeeded in replicating Marvel's success?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    To answer your question with another question: who else has succeeded in replicating Marvel's success?
    1930/40s Universal Horror, 1950/60/70s Hammer Horror, 1950/60/70s Toho sci-fi and kaiju, 1990s Disney animated, 1990/2000's Pixar. That's just off the top of my head.

I expect a soft reboot that will make Matt Reeves Batman part of the larger DC universe. WB knows that the best business decision is to have a shared universe with movies that feed on each other's hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I expect a soft reboot that will make Matt Reeves Batman part of the larger DC universe. WB knows that the best business decision is to have a shared universe with movies that feed on each other's hype.
    But Matt Reeves Batman doesn't need a shared universe to hype it up (the hype is strong for this one), and the DCEU already exists to do the shared universe hype building. How does folding Matt Reeves Batman into the rest help any?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    1930/40s Universal Horror, 1950/60/70s Hammer Horror, 1950/60/70s Toho sci-fi and kaiju, 1990s Disney animated, 1990/2000's Pixar. That's just off the top of my head.
    And Toho continues to this day! Also the Conjuring universe, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Yes, but they should put out a slate and stick to it.
    why is it so damn hard, why does a slate work for Marvel but not for DC smh.
    Because Marvel didn't entrust the fate of their extended universe to Zack Snyder. While they were digging themselves out of that hole, the Marvel movie universe was born and DC was left in the dust.

I'm all for a more serious take on superheroes but not a dull and pretentious one. And whether you agree with that characterization of Snyder or not, audiences and critics and studio executives did agree with it and that's how DC wound up in this situation.

Though I read DC and Marvel growing up, I'm pretty much DC-only now and it is so sad and frustrating to me to see something like the last two Avengers movies and think of what might have been.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Because Marvel didn't entrust the fate of their extended universe to Zack Snyder. While they were digging themselves out of that hole, the Marvel movie universe was born and DC was left in the dust.

I'm all for a more serious take on superheroes but not a dull and pretentious one. And whether you agree with that characterization of Snyder or not, audiences and critics and studio executives did agree with it and that's how DC wound up in this situation.

Though I read DC and Marvel growing up, I'm pretty much DC-only now and it is so sad and frustrating to me to see something like the last two Avengers movies and think of what might have been.
    The problem with the SnyderVerse is everyone was deathly serious over everything, even making eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And Toho continues to this day! Also the Conjuring universe, I think
    I wouldn't say Toho still has the same success now though that it did back in those decades. Although the MonsterVerse and Shin have been big boosts for them.

And yep, Conjuring universe is a success.

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't say Toho still has the same success now though that it did back in those decades. Although the MonsterVerse and Shin have been big boosts for them.

And yep, Conjuring universe is a success.
    True. I think it's more because Toho just hasn't made much itself recently. Although that may change with Singular Point

The problem with the SnyderVerse is everyone was deathly serious over everything, even making eggs
    Agreed but I'd take it an important step further. The seriousness was entirely unearned; otherwise I'd have been fine with 100% serious DC films. And if he wasn't already pretentious enough, he not only needed to make his cut 4 hours long, he also needed to release a b&w version. He thinks he's an auteur and he just isn't.

All that meanness aside, I enjoyed his 4-hour JL approximately one million times better than the theatrical version. And I'd really enjoy seeing his cuckoo-for-Cocoa Puffs JL 2 & 3 as Elseworlds sorts of movies, as long as they didn't hold back better DC films, because the plot was just that nuts. (I also love The Dark Knight Strikes Again and for the same reasons.)

But you don't give that sort of director the keys to the kingdom or what happened happens. His DC movies have been beautiful to look at but there's just no there there.

Sorry, ZS's gotten enough hate and enough debate here. I just feel like he's the one and only answer why DC's so far behind Marvel.

True. I think it's more because Toho just hasn't made much itself recently. Although that may change with Singular Point
    I'm looking forward to Singular Point, don't get me wrong it looks amazing, but what I really want from them is more live action films.

I think the problem is part of the deal they made when leasing to Legendary was they couldn't make their own big films during years with a MonsterVerse Godzilla film or something (Shin was made between 2014 and KotM). Hopefully they make a deal that lets us have both Legendary's MonsterVerse Godzilla movies and Toho making their own again as well.

Ultimate Member

I'm looking forward to Singular Point, don't get me wrong it looks amazing, but what I really want from them is more live action films.

I think the problem is part of the deal they made when leasing to Legendary was they couldn't make their own big films during years with a MonsterVerse Godzilla film or something (Shin was made between 2014 and KotM). Hopefully they make a deal that lets us have both Legendary's MonsterVerse Godzilla movies and Toho making their own again as well.
    Agreed. I'd like to see more Toho live action daikaiju as well

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I wasn't thinking of them being introduced as adults; more like 16 year olds like you mentioned but Dick is obviously going to evolve into Nightwing at some point.

I think it's important that Dick is a child when Bruce adopts him but I don't like the idea of a grounded, realistic Batman running around with a kid. If Dick puts on a costume and decide to jump into a fight, that should be something that he does on his own without Bruce's approval. Then Bruce decides, 'if he is going to do this, I might as well make sure he doesn't die doing it'.
    Ideally, I'd have Bruce meet and adopt Dick when he's around 13-14 but not have him be Robin in that film. Then just do a short time skip in between films and have Dick be around 18 and only just becoming Robin after getting extensive training.

Barbara is always at least 18, if not a bit older, when she becomes Batgirl and does it independently so the underage problem is always avoided with her.

I have a question, because so far we have a lot of votes, but not much discussion on the reasons why we voted why we did so I'm curious to know people's answers here:

Why, when we have the DCEU for the wider "family" (as in Super-family, Batfamily, Shazam family) and to handle the team up movies, is there a want/need to make the other separate earths, particularly "Earth 2/The Batman earth", wider shared earths like the DCEU themselves? If we have a universe already for characters to appear on for shared adventures and team ups, what is the point in making the one for The Batman shared too? I'm curious to know the reasoning here.
    I think because the Batman and Superman families are effectively at a dead end in the DCEU.

Without knowing for sure how this film series plans to progress and if it will remain grounded throughout, I can see why people might be latching onto it to fulfill a "promise" the DCEU Batman didn't. Which isn't fair, but fans will be fans. If it is a shared universe, I would prefer if Battinson only interacted with other heroes in designated films for that, but his own films only had small Easter eggs for the other heroes. Same rule for all DC films actually, a Superman film shouldn't be required viewing for a Batman film.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think because the Batman and Superman families are effectively at a dead end in the DCEU.

Without knowing for sure how this film series plans to progress and if it will remain grounded throughout, I can see why people might be latching onto it to fulfill a "promise" the DCEU Batman didn't. Which isn't fair, but fans will be fans. If it is a shared universe, I would prefer if Battinson only interacted with other heroes in designated films for that, but his own films only had small Easter eggs for the other heroes. Same rule for all DC films actually, a Superman film shouldn't be required viewing for a Batman film.
    I don't think the Batman and Superman families are effectively dead in the DCEU. I mean, Flashpoint is bringing back Affleck (we don't know for certain it'll be his "swan song") and Keaton's Batman (who is rumored to be taking a Batman Beyond inspired mentor role). And a Batgirl show or movie has been confirmed, most likely set in the DCEU (possibly with Keaton showing up here). And like with much of the Snyder films, you can ignore Robin/Dick being dead (or have Flashpoint reset it). Flashpoint is also introducing Supergirl (at this point with two Batmen and a Supergirl I fear Flashpoint is going to suffer from being too stuffed and thus sucking, but we will see). And they're rebooting Superman (possibly replacing Cavill's in the DCEU thanks to Flashpoint). Honestly I expect Flashpoint to end with a tease of black Superman in the mid/end credits at this point - would not surprise me if they have new Superman cast before the movie drops next year just to tack it on.

The DCEU Batman and Superman "families" aren't dead by any stretch, just that Affleck's and Cavill's takes on them in the DCEU might be getting canned via Flashpoint.

Ultimate Member

It would be nice for Superman to interact with other Kryptonian heroes in the DCEU

Flashpoint risks being overstuffed, but it depends on how big the roles each hero plays in it is