View Poll Results: Should other superheroes co-exist with Pattison's Batman?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 53.66%
  • No

12 29.27%
  • Yes - but only 'grounded' street-level characters

7 17.07%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

If it makes money absolutely and no one can say no unless their contract gives them an out. If Reeves and Pattisons contract only states Batman that's fine you can still hire others to make movies and simply say they take place together. All depends if Pattison is well received, actually enjoys the role, and is down to anchor another franchise. He might be as along as they give him leeway to continue doing the more artistic films he's been doing for the last few years.

Astonishing Member

Couple of articles off late speculating that the Earth 2 designation means that The Batman is set on the same world as the CW's Stargirl

https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...rth-2-stargirl

Makes you wonder though about the limitations of labelling earths when you've got multiple versions of the multiverse, some of whose earths have crossovered with each other.

No. We've already got the DCEU for the shared universe experience, I say leave all the other earths free to focus more on the solo stuff.
    Besides, unlike Batfleck Battinson seems to be a return to a more TDK Trilogy style of groundedness. That works great for a solo Batman, not so much a team up universe.

Again, it seems pointless to try and make that sort of take on Batman co-habitate with other heroes when we've already got a team up universe.

BANNED

Batman has a more grounded setting. A good DCEU would need a good Superman more than a good Batman.

Let’s get Robin and more of the Bat-family first.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No. We've already got the DCEU for the shared universe experience, I say leave all the other earths free to focus more on the solo stuff.
    Besides, unlike Batfleck Battinson seems to be a return to a more TDK Trilogy style of groundedness. That works great for a solo Batman, not so much a team up universe.

Again, it seems pointless to try and make that sort of take on Batman co-habitate with other heroes when we've already got a team up universe.
    If anything, Reeves' movie seem more grounded than even the Nolanverse! At any rate, I think Riddler as a serial killer and Batman beating the crap out of gangbangers is relatively more grounded than secret ninja cults and a plan to nuke Gotham...

Batfleck actually was fairly grounded as a character himself, even if he inhabits a world of superheroes and Gods. I kinda saw him as what Nolan's Batman could have been had he continued his war on crime for decades, without few if any positive results, and with the line between Batman and Bruce Wayne becoming blurred to the point of non-existence.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    If it makes money absolutely and no one can say no
    That's a would, not a should.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, I get what you mean.

Then again, it does seem like they're invested in the 'original' DCEU (which I guess we can now call Earth 1?) with the Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash that they've set up. Plus, Shazam! is part of this continuity too, as well as the upcoming Black Adam movie. So for the next few years at least, I don't see them doing away with this universe entirely - even if they want to move away from Snyder's vision for it.

I read a rumor in some article recently that there's a plan to set up a 'multiversal' Justice League, which would include Pattison's Batman, and the Supergirl from the Flashpoint film. Again, dunno how much stock to put into it...though I suppose its one way to have 'Battison' team up with other heroes without taking away from the grounded nature of his world too much...
    It depends on how they are going to retcon the universe in Flashpoint or if that even is the plan now. Will they just cut out the Snyder stuff altogether or just say the focus has shifted to characters on a different earth now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You're generous in assuming DCEU has a game plan now.

As cool as upcoming Batman looks, I can't help but feel DC is turning the clock back to do another Bat-reboot rather than focus on more new characters with Batman as an established hero
    I think they are testing the waters to see what works while launching new franchises and hopefully connect them where it makes sense. This is what they should have done in the first place instead of rushing JL.

I think they are doing something interesting with this latest reboot in terms of having a ''Year Two'' Batman. We've seen Batman at the start of his career, and a more established Batman...Matt Reeves looks like he'll be focusing on that transitional phase where Bruce is not exactly a rookie, but is still trying to figure some things out. Plus, the more noir-driven approach is a breath of fresh air given how most Batman film appearances have been.

Its interesting though that the one era of Batman they don't seem to want to touch is the era of the Dynamic Duo! We've had Year One Batman, and now Year Two Batman...we've seen an older veteran Batman a lot later in his career. But its been a while since we've seen a live-action take on the classic Batman and Robin days. I discussed this curious phenomenon in this thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ological-order

Yeah, I think their game plan for now, assuming they have one, is building individual franchises - irrespective of continuity. Some will be set in the same DCEU earth that Snyder started, while others will be on their respective earths.
    One good thing about Batfleck was that an older Batman meant that could have introduced Nightwing, Batgirl and the Titans into their universe.

Would be interesting if every movie starts with a small sub title stating which earth it takes place on. I don't think the general audience would be confused by that.

I don't think they should have gone with 'Earth 2' though since that designation has been used in other properties and could lead to further confusion. Maybe Earth-4 or Earth 27. Or maybe they are just not considering the tv stuff at all.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    One good thing about Batfleck was that an older Batman meant that could have introduced Nightwing, Batgirl and the Titans into their universe.
    I guess so if you want them all to be adults when they're introduced, which they certainly weren't in the comics. I'd prefer to see Robin introduced before he becomes Nighwing. I'd prefer to see Batgirl introduced at the beginning of her career, and I'd like to see the Titans introduced as the Teen Titans.

In the 70s, according to Bob Rozakis the Answer Man (IIRC), every major hero was perpetually 28. And they were all perpetually in their mid-careers.

If Batfleck is the way to introduce Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, and whichever Titans they'd use, they'd all be 28, which is hardly the time to "introduce" them IMO.

I think it would be much better to see Batman take on a young sidekick for the first time, an enormous inflection point in Batman history, since that hasn't happened in a movie literally ever.

Chris O'Donnell was pretty much Nightwing when he appeared. He was certainly a young adult. Burt Ward's Robin, as much as I loved him, was also a young adult and was introduced in a parody series.

In all of my life 52 years I have never seen a live-action Batman interact with a live-action Robin that is actually Robin's age (I mean, at least make him 16!) when he was introduced in the comics. That's crazy. At this point I'm just hoping I'll get to see one before I die.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I guess so if you want them all to be adults when they're introduced, which they certainly weren't in the comics. I'd prefer to see Robin introduced before he becomes Nighwing. I'd prefer to see Batgirl introduced at the beginning of her career, and I'd like to see the Titans introduced as the Teen Titans.

In the 70s, according to Bob Rozakis the Answer Man (IIRC), every major hero was perpetually 28. And they were all perpetually in their mid-careers.

If Batfleck is the way to introduce Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, and whichever Titans they'd use, they'd all be 28, which is hardly the time to "introduce" them IMO.

I think it would be much better to see Batman take on a young sidekick for the first time, an enormous inflection point in Batman history, since that hasn't happened in a movie literally ever.

Chris O'Donnell was pretty much Nightwing when he appeared. He was certainly a young adult. Burt Ward's Robin, as much as I loved him, was also a young adult and was introduced in a parody series.

In all of my life 52 years I have never seen a live-action Batman interact with a live-action Robin that is actually Robin's age when he was introduced in the comics. That's crazy. At this point I'm just hoping I'll get to see one before I die.
    Batman having a 9 year old sidekick can work in the comics. It isnt going to work in live action. Dick will likely remain 16+ as being Robin in live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Batman having a 9 year old sidekick can work in the comics. It isnt going to work in live action. Dick will likely remain 16+ as being Robin in live action.
    I agree. I'd actually edited my comment to say "at least make him 16" just before you replied. Great minds, and all that... But Chris O'Donnell was an adult. He could have passed for 30.

I like the moral dilemma of him taking on a young sidekick, and I think 16 very much qualifies as "young". I'd like to hear what Alfred thinks about it. I'd like to see Batman struggle with it. And I'd like to see a young, exuberant Robin at the beginning of his career, adding some lightness to Batman's darkness as was always intended.

And I was responding directly to a post that said Batfleck was the right age because it meant they could introduce Nightwing. I want to see Nightwing coming into his own after being Robin. Introducing Batfamily characters when they're already well into their careers seems a poor way to introduce them.

Batfleck isn't the perfect way to "introduce" anybody. Batman's nearing the end of his career. It's a dead-end street.

I wasn't thinking of them being introduced as adults; more like 16 year olds like you mentioned but Dick is obviously going to evolve into Nightwing at some point.

I think it's important that Dick is a child when Bruce adopts him but I don't like the idea of a grounded, realistic Batman running around with a kid. If Dick puts on a costume and decide to jump into a fight, that should be something that he does on his own without Bruce's approval. Then Bruce decides, 'if he is going to do this, I might as well make sure he doesn't die doing it'.

If anything, Reeves' movie seem more grounded than even the Nolanverse! At any rate, I think Riddler as a serial killer and Batman beating the crap out of gangbangers is relatively more grounded than secret ninja cults and a plan to nuke Gotham...

Batfleck actually was fairly grounded as a character himself, even if he inhabits a world of superheroes and Gods. I kinda saw him as what Nolan's Batman could have been had he continued his war on crime for decades, without few if any positive results, and with the line between Batman and Bruce Wayne becoming blurred to the point of non-existence.
    I mean, we've only got one teaser trailer to go off of and a few stills/on set photos. I don't think the ninja cults and nukes were a huge part of the initial advertising for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rising. But yes, what we've seen so far is definitely a very grounded, very gritty take in a more noir style. Which has me pumped for the movie! But seems all wrong for a larger shared universe - but that's just fine with me, we already have one that is still ongoing for that.

I don't know, Batfleck was a far, far, far better fighter on a near superhuman level than Nolan's Batman - but then again, that could just be because Nolan can't direct a decent fight scene. Nolan is a master director, but he should've handed all the fight scenes off to somebody else...

Yes, but they should put out a slate and stick to it.
    why is it so damn hard, why does a slate work for Marvel but not for DC smh.

I have a question, because so far we have a lot of votes, but not much discussion on the reasons why we voted why we did so I'm curious to know people's answers here:

Why, when we have the DCEU for the wider "family" (as in Super-family, Batfamily, Shazam family) and to handle the team up movies, is there a want/need to make the other separate earths, particularly "Earth 2/The Batman earth", wider shared earths like the DCEU themselves? If we have a universe already for characters to appear on for shared adventures and team ups, what is the point in making the one for The Batman shared too? I'm curious to know the reasoning here.