View Poll Results: Should other superheroes co-exist with Pattison's Batman?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 53.66%
  • No

12 29.27%
  • Yes - but only 'grounded' street-level characters

7 17.07%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Should other superheroes co-exist with Pattison's Batman on the DCEU Earth 2?

So apparently, the world of Matt Reeves' The Batman has been designated as the Earth 2 of the DCEU's Multiverse. Whether this is just an internal designation or will be used in-universe is unknown.

https://www.cbr.com/robert-pattinson-batman-earth-2/

Anyway, the terminology is immaterial, at least as far as Batman is concerned - nothing about Pattison's Batman screams ''Golden Age Batman'' to me! But the fact that they are giving this reality a designation within the context of a multiverse does make me wonder if they plan on building a second shared universe where we could potentially see other characters. Either characters new to the DCEU (or the big screen in general) or reboots of existing characters. A rumor has been going around lately that JJ Abram's Superman project could be set on this Earth 2.

Should Pattison's Batman co-exist with other superheroes? Or should this be a Batman-exclusive world ala the Nolanverse? And if they throw in other heroes, should they maybe focus on more grounded street-level characters or bring in the full might of the DCU?

PS: According to some set photos and props spoilers:
    other heroes, such as Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash etc. do exist on this world in some form, either as other superheroes or as fictional characters at least - given that there's some sort of party where the guests are dressed as these characters. There's an prop article however which seems to imply that Superman is real and operating in Metropolis. So who knows...
    end of spoilers

Reeves was one of the directors considered for Man of Steel, so it’s possible he might be open to “his” Batman taking place in a universe where there are other heroes.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They will once the movie's sale exceeds Earth 1

I'll have to see the movie first before I decide.

I mean, Stargirl already takes place on Earth-2.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Other street level heroes but yeah, there should be other heroes in Pattinson's Batman.

I'd make an exception for the Outsiders, the Seven Soldiers of Victory, or Doom Patrol.

Beware the Batman brought in Katana so I'm cool with Pattinson having a partner closer in age. Robin works more a father-son dynamic which I'm not in a rush to see for Pattinson. The Batfamily would've fit Affleck's take more because Affleck's take played on the desperation of an older man. So having him rebuild the Batfamily after burning those ties make sense as an arc.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-09-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    I mean, Stargirl already takes place on Earth-2.
    Different multiverse. That's the Multiverse of the CW shows. In which, admittedly, a lot of other DC live-action projects also fit in - including the DCEU (since Ezra's Flash shows up for a quick crossover with Grant Gustin's Flash).

But the DCEU's multiverse will undoubtedly be its own thing...with all multiverses potentially part of the larger Omniverse.

Interestingly, the Earth 2 designation so far has been used for the following earths/realities:

-The 'original' Golden Age DCU and its legacy.

-The rebooted New 52 version with updates to the Golden Age characters.

-The CW's original Earth 2 on The Flash which basically showed it as a world more akin to the comics' Earth 3 (characters who are good on Earth 1 are usually evil on Earth 2 and vice versa).

-The CW's 'new' Earth 2 which is where Stargirl is set.

I haven't watched much of Smallville, but I believe when they had an ''Earth 2'' of some sort.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I voted no. If they went to the trouble of setting it on a different Earth so that Pattison's Batman wouldn't have to be a younger Ben Affleck, I don't see why they should populate it with the same superheroes they already had on the other side, and create yet another version of them. There's plenty of Bat-characters to introduce, let's leave WW, Supes etc in the DCEU proper.

Ultimate Member

Idk about this specifically, but I wish we could have a Batman movieverse in a DC movieverse

I think I'm starting to see the game plan.

The DCEU is a mess. It would be a waste not to try and launch another Justice League free of the continuity from the previous one. Gal and Patty are going to wrap their trilogy but they know WW is a money maker now. They are eager to have Superman back on the big screen again. Why not use Battinson's movie as a jumping off point for a new DCEU?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

The DCEU is a mess. It would be a waste not to try and launch another Justice League free of the continuity from the previous one. Gal and Patty are going to wrap their trilogy but they know WW is a money maker now. They are eager to have Superman back on the big screen again. Why not use Battinson's movie as a jumping off point for a new DCEU?
    Yeah, I get what you mean.

Then again, it does seem like they're invested in the 'original' DCEU (which I guess we can now call Earth 1?) with the Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash that they've set up. Plus, Shazam! is part of this continuity too, as well as the upcoming Black Adam movie. So for the next few years at least, I don't see them doing away with this universe entirely - even if they want to move away from Snyder's vision for it.

I read a rumor in some article recently that there's a plan to set up a 'multiversal' Justice League, which would include Pattison's Batman, and the Supergirl from the Flashpoint film. Again, dunno how much stock to put into it...though I suppose its one way to have 'Battison' team up with other heroes without taking away from the grounded nature of his world too much...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

You're generous in assuming DCEU has a game plan now.

As cool as upcoming Batman looks, I can't help but feel DC is turning the clock back to do another Bat-reboot rather than focus on more new characters with Batman as an established hero

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

As cool as upcoming Batman looks, I can't help but feel DC is turning the clock back to do another Bat-reboot rather than focus on more new characters with Batman as an established hero
    I think they said they were focusing on individual franchises as well. They seem to be more focused on making HBO Max show's from their movies since both Suicide Squad and The Batman are getting spin-offs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

I think they are doing something interesting with this latest reboot in terms of having a ''Year Two'' Batman. We've seen Batman at the start of his career, and a more established Batman...Matt Reeves looks like he'll be focusing on that transitional phase where Bruce is not exactly a rookie, but is still trying to figure some things out. Plus, the more noir-driven approach is a breath of fresh air given how most Batman film appearances have been.

Its interesting though that the one era of Batman they don't seem to want to touch is the era of the Dynamic Duo! We've had Year One Batman, and now Year Two Batman...we've seen an older veteran Batman a lot later in his career. But its been a while since we've seen a live-action take on the classic Batman and Robin days. I discussed this curious phenomenon in this thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ological-order

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think they said they were focusing on individual franchises as well. They seem to be more focused on making HBO Max show's from their movies since both Suicide Squad and The Batman are getting spin-offs.
    Yeah, I think their game plan for now, assuming they have one, is building individual franchises - irrespective of continuity. Some will be set in the same DCEU earth that Snyder started, while others will be on their respective earths.

Ultimate Member

It seems DC was focusing on either a few A-list characters, or a bunch of D-list ones like the Suicide Squad members. But now with characters like Zatanna, the Green Lanterns and blue Beetle getting projects, maybe DC has finally gotten the point. But I think they gave up on a shared universe too quickly

I don't get why they can't put a live action Robin or Nightwing in one of these movies