Incredible Member

Default One Punch Man vs Thragg (Invincible)

Can Thragg give Saitama a good fight?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Huh. This is one is interesting. Both characters can casually maim lowend class 100s. We have an upper limit on Thragg's durability, being in the inner layers of the sun. We don't have an upper limit on Saitama but I don't think he's withstood anything on that level.

Both rely on scaling for their speed feats. So who is faster: Mark Grayson or Flashy Flash?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Huh. This is one is interesting. Both characters can casually maim lowend class 100s. We have an upper limit on Thragg's durability, being in the inner layers of the sun. We don't have an upper limit on Saitama but I don't think he's withstood anything on that level.

Both rely on scaling for their speed feats. So who is faster: Mark Grayson or Flashy Flash?
    As someone who crunched the numbers loosely on both Mark and Flashy Flash... I would say... they are about even... both in the "significant fraction of lightspeed" bracket? Mark has much greater range on his top end stuff while Flashy has much more extreme combat and reaction feats.

The thing is... Saitama is /massively/ faster than Flashy Flash so I would anticipate him to be above Thragg as the difference between Mark and Thragg is much small than between Flash and Saitama.

I would personally back Saitama myself but I think he's going to have a good fight for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As someone who crunched the numbers loosely on both Mark and Flashy Flash... I would say... they are about even... both in the "significant fraction of lightspeed" bracket? Mark has much greater range on his top end stuff while Flashy has much more extreme combat and reaction feats.

The thing is... Saitama is /massively/ faster than Flashy Flash so I would anticipate him to be above Thragg as the difference between Mark and Thragg is much small than between Flash and Saitama.

I would personally back Saitama myself but I think he's going to have a good fight for once.
    My recollection is that Saitama has dodged Flash's attacks without particular exertion but I don't recall him outright blitzing the guy like he did Sonic. Am I wrong?

My recollection is that Saitama has dodged Flash's attacks without particular exertion but I don't recall him outright blitzing the guy like he did Sonic. Am I wrong?
    He's dodged them with no issue and casually blocked his high speed attacks. Flashy also got blitzed by Awakened Garou in the webcomic and then Saitama was faster still than him.

This might require some waiting until we see how Flashy and Garou compare once the manga catches up as Flashy's big feats are in the manga and we don't quite know how that's going to shake out yet.

In the manga thus far, Saitama did say "oh, you're kind of fast, nice," but ultimately was presented as significantly above him.

Mark, by the end of series, was fast enough to compete with compete with Thragg without issue. They seemed to be presented as functionally close enough to be effectively equal in speed.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 04-09-2021 at 03:40 PM.

So how do we think the power output of Saitama's moon jump or serious punch compares to the Graysons and company blowing up that planet? I know that feat has some major asterisks on it with the blast and all that, but the boys played a meaningfully role in destroying a planet there and Thragg 5hen ripped those boys apart.

But the asterisks are such that I'm never show how to evaluate the feat. Or even what the three of them did by flying through the planet.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Even more than the moon jump, Saitama casually overpowers the guy who knocked him from Earth to the moon basically instantly.

I'd give Saitama the edge just for how casually he does basically everything. He's significantly faster than Flashy. Significantly faster than Garou. And we've never seen him actually have to try to get to those levels.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

So how do we think the power output of Saitama's moon jump or serious punch compares to the Graysons and company blowing up that planet? I know that feat has some major asterisks on it with the blast and all that, but the boys played a meaningfully role in destroying a planet there and Thragg 5hen ripped those boys apart.

But the asterisks are such that I'm never show how to evaluate the feat. Or even what the three of them did by flying through the planet.
    My guess is that the scene was supposed to be depicting them using the shockwave of them flying at their full FTL speeds through a tunnel that the blasted through the core of the planet (using a special gun and while explicitly not touching anything because doing so would possibly have been fatal for at least Mark, presumably due to the speeds that they were travelling at), and thus within an atmosphere, to cause the planet to explode, but they never actually explained what their plan was directly, IIRC.

It does seem like there's a fair few asterisks on the planet bust at the very least.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    My guess is that the scene was supposed to be depicting them using the shockwave of them flying at their full FTL speeds through a tunnel that the blasted through the core of the planet (using a special gun and while explicitly not touching anything because doing so would possibly have been fatal for at least Mark, presumably due to the speeds that they were travelling at), and thus within an atmosphere, to cause the planet to explode, but they never actually explained what their plan was directly, IIRC.
    I think there was... something that was explained.

I'm back at home on Monday so I can dig out the book and have a check.

The gun was required though, they could not have done it without the "destroys everything," gun clearing them a path to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Even more than the moon jump, Saitama casually overpowers the guy who knocked him from Earth to the moon basically instantly.

I'd give Saitama the edge just for how casually he does basically everything. He's significantly faster than Flashy. Significantly faster than Garou. And we've never seen him actually have to try to get to those levels.
    I like the moon jump better because of the damage he did to it. IMO it is more impressive than "just" getting launched to the moon, or beating the guy that did it. And it isn't like chucking things into space is a big deal for the Viltrumites.

I think if Thragg can tag Saitama he shouuuuuld be able to potentially get the space toss off. It isn't a sure thing with Saitama shutting down Tornado's space toss, though.

My head cannon...

head cannon.jpg

...is that Saitama can actually fly just fine, he simply doesn't realize it. He has too easy a time dealing with things that are in the air or flying, plus the "come back from moon" thing, plus the "resist Tatsumaki" thing, for me to see it any other way.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I like the moon jump better because of the damage he did to it. IMO it is more impressive than "just" getting launched to the moon, or beating the guy that did it. And it isn't like chucking things into space is a big deal for the Viltrumites.
    For me, it was the speed it happened at - he went earth to moon at some large fraction of light speed, as it took a second or two max by all visible evidence. Granted, he jumped back at similar speeds. Accelerating a body to that velocity is orders of magnitude more than a simple orbit or just out of orbit space-toss (17 or 25 thousand miles per hour versus close to 186 thousand miles per second[/I]).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post

And that’s the thing with Saitama, his Uber feats apart from the serious punch and multiple punch have been casual efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    And that’s the thing with Saitama, his Uber feats apart from the serious punch and multiple punch have been casual efforts.
    His "serious punches" have also been casual efforts. I.e. he's meant them as punches, but it was nowhere close to "this is it, life or death, put everything I have into this one punch" effort.