Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This is the many other countless times, you have slandered me by calling me names. I let this pass the first time when you called me a liar like Donald Trump because in sweet irony I did predict Marvel was never going to make R rated films in the future, something I was right about, now you go on other threads calling me a troll for no reason, despite the fact I have kindly asked you to stop been offensive by calling me troll just because you dont seen to like my commentary? I just want to let you know I have now taken this issue to the mods and reported this incident.
    Just to point this out...

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ARDS-amp-RULES

NO FLAMEBAITING

Do not inform someone when you are reporting their post or that they’re going on (or are on) your ignore list. Simply do it or don’t, the audience doesn’t need to know. Do not create threads to deliberately target, ridicule, or mock other users, they will be deleted and action will be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    How on which earth did I prove your point?
    Shazam(comedy) is different from Wonder Woman(action movie that is also small period piece about a real War) is different from Aquaman(action comedy)
    GotG/Antman(comedy) is different from Captain America First Avenger(action movie that is also small period piece about a real War) is different from Iron Man/Spiderman (Action Comedy).

Which is what people are saying when they Marvel has variety and you literally proved the variety with your post. Once you had to list movies that are different and couldn't be bias, I could put Marvel equivalent and there's a lot of variety in Marvel.

But what about the rest? Once we get Moon Knight show and Blade I am pretty sure we will get some darker /mature material obviously not as dark as Joker but more of contrast to other marvel films/shows and we already know that rated R Deadpool is coming so you got your "Harley Quinn" there. Before someone says Marvel will never do another R movie, I will remind you that the Punisher exists.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-15-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    GotG/Antman(comedy) is different from Captain America First Avenger(action movie that is also small period piece about a real War) is different from Iron Man/Spiderman (Action Comedy).

Which is what people are saying when they Marvel has variety and you literally proved the variety with your post. Once you had to list movies that are different, I could put Marvel equivalent and there's a lot of variety in Marvel

And once we get Moon Knight show and Blade I am pretty sure we will get some darker /mature material and we already know that rated R Deadpool is coming so you got your "Harley Quinn" there. Before someone says Marvel will never do another R movie, I will remind you that the Punisher exists.
    Yeah, no. ALL of the MCU flicks are action/action comedies, just differing in how much they lean into the comedy aspect. So me naming movies that actually felt different from one another didn't prove what you think it proved...also YOU'RE CONFUSING GENRE WITH TONE!!!!

Not all action movies are the same. Not all action comedies are the same. But all MCU action comedies feel the same. You're trying to say the fact that I listed movies with different tones proves the MCU has different tones just because the movies I listed fall into the same genre? If you think all films in a genre share the same tone, this might be where our little disagreement is stemming from.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 04-15-2021 at 03:48 AM.

Yeah, no. ALL of the MCU flicks are action/action comedies, just differing in how much they lean into the comedy aspect. So me naming movies that actually felt different from one another didn't prove what you think it proved...
    Then ALL those movies you listed before are action comedies along with ZL Justice league just differing in how much they lean into the comedy aspect.

Then ALL those movies you listed before are action comedies along with ZL Justice league just differing in how much they lean into the comedy aspect.
    You're a quick poster - I just edited in a big clarification in that last post - action comedy is a genre not a tone. You are confusing genre with tone. Yes, I listed some action comedies - action comedies that had different tones from one another despite being the same genre. Genre and tone are not the same.

BANNED

You're a quick poster - I just edited in a big clarification in that last post - action comedy is a genre not a tone. You are confusing genre with tone. Yes, I listed some action comedies - action comedies that had different tones from one another despite being the same genre. Genre and tone are not the same.
    This is true. Action comedy is a genre, Deadpool stills counts as an action comedy like Thor 3 or GOTG, however what separates Deadpool is the R Rating , the film style and the satire, which in itself (satire) is another sub genre of action comedy. Case in point Borat.

Sometimes it just hurt me when I have to always overexplain things on a comic book film thread. I fear I may have to start agreeing with Martin Scorsese when he said comic films are not helping people learn more about cinema.

I thought Scorsese was a tool and douche for saying this, but now I can see where he is coming from.

You're trying to say the fact that I listed movies with different tones proves the MCU has different tones just because the movies I listed fall into the same genre? If you think all films in a genre share the same tone, this might be where our little disagreement is stemming from.
    No I actually listed movies and match them up with movies that had same tone. I didn't just pick out Captain America first avenger because it was same genre for example, I wouldn't have listed Iron Man 1 with Aquaman either. Yeah I was actually comparing tones the genres was for further emphasis to show how similar. I see how it is confusing to my point tho
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-15-2021 at 04:24 AM.

No I actually listed movies and match them up with movies that had same tone. I didn't just pick out Captain America first avenger because it was same genre for example, I wouldn't have listed Iron Man 1 with Aquaman either. Yeah I was actually comparing tones the genres was for further emphasis to show how similar. I see how it is confusing to my point tho
    Let's just agree to disagree. To you, these movies don't feel samey. But you can hopefully acknowledge to many of us they do, and that this is legit feeling on our parts and we're not just saying this unfairly. Can you come that far?

This is true. Action comedy is a genre, Deadpool stills counts as an action comedy like Thor 3 or GOTG, however what separates Deadpool is the R Rating , the film style and the satire, which in itself (satire) is another sub genre of action comedy. Case in point Borat.

Sometimes it just hurt me when I have to always overexplain things on a comic book film thread. I fear I may have to start agreeing with Martin Scorsese when he said comic films are not helping people learn more about cinema.

I thought Scorsese was a tool and douche for saying this, but now I can see where he is coming from.
    Never seen Borat, but I was always under the impression Deadpool leaned more towards parody than satire?
    Then again, the line between parody and satire is a fine one and I'm not an expert on the differences.

BANNED

Never seen Borat, but I was always under the impression Deadpool leaned more towards parody than satire?
    Then again, the line between parody and satire is a fine one and I'm not an expert on the differences.

Yep, Deadpool is actually parody and satire too. this was one of the best parts of deadpool parodying the superhero landings of comic films that you see many times, mostly in MCU movies. Deadpool mocks it as parody when the other characters tried to do the landing , which was satire.

I think also again, you have to realise Deadpool is a self aware character, maybe almost like Woody and Buzz from the Toys Story series. so it makes it easy or believable when he mocks things or tries to play a part, you know should not be.

Another good trivia about Deadpool. he was created to be a parody of DC Deathstroke.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-15-2021 at 04:44 AM.

Let's just agree to disagree. To you, these movies don't feel samey. But you can hopefully acknowledge to many of us they do, and that this is legit feeling on our parts and we're not just saying this unfairly. Can you come that far?
    I wasn't completely disagreeing they aren't a lot of Marvel movies that feel samey because they are a lot. I was saying there is more than enough movies that aren't to be consider having good variety as well. If they are 22 marvel movies I would say at least 10 to 12 (which would be over half) do have alot of same dna and don't bring alot different to the table. I get the complaint to some degree

BANNED

This is the many other countless times, you have slandered me by calling me names. I let this pass the first time when you called me a liar like Donald Trump because in sweet irony I did predict Marvel was never going to make R rated films in the future, something I was right about, now you go on other threads calling me a troll for no reason, despite the fact I have kindly asked you to stop been offensive by calling me troll just because you dont seem to like my commentary? I just want to let you know I have now taken this issue to the mods and reported this incident.
    " I did predict Marvel was never going to make R rated films in the future, something I was right about, " So Deadpool 3 is not going to be R Rated?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    " I did predict Marvel was never going to make R rated films in the future, something I was right about, " So Deadpool 3 is not going to be R Rated?
    I said MCU will not make r rated filmss in the future beyond Deadpool 3 and I even have already predicted that deadpool 3 r rating would not be worth it because left to marvel, they would not be doing deadpool 3 in the first place but Deadpool 3 was already announced before the Fox/Deal deal closed and the character was.... is still hot property, Marvel has no choice but to make Deadpool 3 but that is where it ends with R movies with them.

BANNED

I said MCU will not make r rated filmss in the future beyond Deadpool 3 and I even have already predicted that deadpool 3 r rating would not be worth it because left to marvel, they would not be doing deadpool 3 in the first place but Deadpool 3 was already announced before the Fox/Deal deal closed and the character was.... is still hot property, Marvel has no choice but to make Deadpool 3 but that is where it ends with R movies with them.
    "I said MCU will not make r rated filmss in the future beyond Deadpool 3" why am I not surprised you now saying this^^?
    "I even have already predicted that deadpool 3 r rating would not be worth it because left to marvel, they would not be doing deadpool 3 in the first place"
    What has the Rating to do with not doing it in the first place? And that is not even getting into your "A firm does not want to make a movie that will make them a lot of money. Next you will tell me Disney will stop the next Avatar movies.
    Or is this your usual "Disney R is different than normal " stuff just worded different?
    "Deadpool 3 was already announced before the Fox/Deal deal closed" No, it was not.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 04-15-2021 at 06:06 AM.

1. There is no myth of a formula, if this was a myth, why did Mickey Rouke factually complain about how much time he wasted on Iron Man 2 because marvel just wanted a specific thing?
    Creative differences aren't evidence.

...if it was a myth why would Kevin Fiege say Marvel can not make R rated films beyond deadpool 3 even now they have XMen/Blade, series that have had a combination of 5 successful r rated movies?...
    I think the MCU TV and streaming shows are more than answer enough.

also why would you once try to argue X-Men can be action comedy when everyone knows that should not be the case at all?
    Try reading Academy X sometime. You can get it in two nice paperback volumes these days. Would love to see some of those characters on the big screen. (Heck, why didn't we get an animated series off that?)

...all of this is because mcu only makes movies a certain way.
    And yet Logan is a favorite of mine. Weird how someone can have diverse tastes in movies, isn't it?

Bias is to say Chris Nolan is a superior film maker to Sam Raimi with no real evidence to show for it. that will be bias. it is not bias however to say, Marvel can never make a movie like a Nolan film or even an X-Men film. that is not been bias.
    I'd want to here more then just "I said so" before taking stuff like that under consideration. Also, I notice that your base assumption is that a filmmaker who makes serious content is better then one who doesn't. That doesn't track, since a quality story can be told in any genre. Consider Steven Spielberg, who I think it's safe to stay is one of the top tier directors in the business despite not dealing in the drama and grittiness of the likes of Snyder and Nolan.

I don't think Ragnarok been a hit was the question, although now in the long terms, Ragnarok been a hit will just highlight how a factory made movie works.
    That makes no sense.

...the issue with Ragnarok was the tone and how much it wasted the source material.
    Explain, please.

Additionally hit movies have nothing to do with great movies, The Shawshank Redemption and Fight Club were flops, still among the best films of the 90s.
    Sometimes. Course, you also have stuff like Star Wars or Lion King that were huge successes, praised as being masterpieces and stood the test of time. What lasts and is remembered is a tricky thing. I think the true acid test is if the Snyder Cut is something that we're still watching generations from now (and not in the ironic way, like how Batman and Robin is remembered as a howler). Frankly, my prediction is that it's going to be remembered more as a thing that happened (a studio making something that people online were demanding) and for all the crazy drama of getting released then as a piece of art (based on how general reviews are provisionally positive and all that). Course, I could be wrong.

HBO Max has said the Cut was still among the most watched series. So where did you get JL flopped?
    As I recall, reports pointed to the opening week of release netting fewer Snyder Cut views then there were for WW84 at its opening (a movie that had a generally more mixed reception), that less then half of the people who started the Snyder Cut actually finished it, and (most critically) whatever level of success it was not enough to revive the Snyderverse (if the thing was a big enough hit, it would be worth WB's time to bring it back somehow, even if the short term plans for the DC property were locked in place). Granted, we don't have access to all the data (and AT&T will probably keep that confidential) and who knows how well it'll ultimately work out long term, but, for something we were told the fans wanted, that's kind of a weak start.

Many marvel fans in 2011 who saw Thor 1,Kenneth Branagh the director gave Asgard a Lord of the rings vibe, he made the world of Asgard feel like Gondor and Rivendale from Lord of the rings, many comic fans liked that and wanted to see more of that.
    He also brought in the "fish out of water" comedy to the movie, too. Just saying.

I guess this never came to pass, because MCU started to perfect their formula.
    Once again, there is no formula. Also, ironically, the MCU series became a lot more diverse in genre and style after Phase 1. Dunno why Branagh didn't come back, but agreed that he did put his stamp on the film, much like the better MCU directors after him would.

This should not be surprising though. Regardless of what Disney is doing with Marvel now, by seeing marvel as nothing more but ad to sells theme parks, many marvel fans, who have been reading marvel for years have a far more higher standard view of the marvel universe, high enough that they do easily compare it to Lord of the Rings.
    Funny how "Disney" is a dirty word despite their history of artistic quality (including current stuff). (Yeah, I get they're clever marketers and have their share of cash grabs, but serious, the best of their stuff easily outclasses most of the MCU, Zack Snyder, and whoever else you care to shake a stick at. And that's not going into some of the companies they own, like Pixar, the mic drop retort to how mature storytelling can also be funny and light-hearted.)

Also, I find it funny that you consider limiting what kinds of stories can and can't be told in Marvel movies as having "higher standards" from the comics. I've read some of the old stuff, and it was always a mix of higher art and crazy "for fun" stuff.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)