Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The GoTG and Black Panther are vastly different in tones, You know what isn't as vastly different in tones Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, BatmanV Superman, Wonder Woman, ZS Justice League, Harley Quinn but know what DC movies general get complained about by some fans Shazam, Aquaman and WW84 aka the movie that shift away from "the DCEU overly serious tone". You can't take similarness or variety complaints too seriously because if it was real thing they would be complaints about DCEU as well.

The complaining is really about not liking a MCU style of humor, it is lazy complaint imo to call them all the same similar. Note it is not some big insult to say that they are similar because they are things that are suppose to be similar. One ,they are in the same universe so MCU has overall universal tone(just like DCEU) that all its movies and shows have, yeah they are suppose to feel and look alike. Two, a vast majority of the MCU movies so far are Origin or Introduction stories which there is a general similarness in those type of stories I mean Iron Man and Dr. Strange is basically the same story. I am going to talk about last component in a second but if you notice in all of chances to talk about this stuff. It is humor the only thing that pops up when people complain.

Anyways the last part is what MCU story or character is suppose to be different in presentation and tone? Iron Man, Peter Quil, Antman and Spiderman are quippers, Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel are sarcastic both of those things lend themselves to be presented in comedic moments. Thor, Black Panther and Captain America are more serious and their movies in general are more serious than others.In the MCU with maybe exception of Thor Ragnarok , the MCU has present stories and characters in manner they should. And this big point the MCU heroes they have used so far are generally the same style of heroes and even in the comics they aren't much variance. If the MCU was using Hulk, Blade, Wolverine, Punisher, Daredevil, etc or telling some darker or tragic story they would be a expectation for some vastly different tone.

Now I wish people would just be straight forward in just saying they don't like the style of humor but quick easy lazy complaint to say they are same or manufactured. GotG and Antman are comedies, They have big comedic set pieces which are just as important as the action set pieces. Captain America, Thor and Black Panther are straight up action/drama but they have occasional joke usually coming from a comedic relief character in Thor it was Kat Denning Character, in Black Panther it was Shuri. Black Panther doesn't not feel a like GoTG or Antman.
    You think Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad had the same tone as Man of Steel, BvS, Wonder Woman, and ZSJL?
    I disagree.

I think they suffer from the same issue with the jokes overwhelming the movies as Thor Ragnarok.
    Well, and also an incoherent story for Suicide Squad (after re-editing the movie apparently).
    And the Birds of Prey story was ok, but pretty meh in general.

As for WW84, there were lots of complaints about that movie, but I don't really remember a tonal shift to be more funny and have more jokes to be one of them.
    (I actually thought it was a good movie, if not great. And nothing compared to the first WW movie).

I believe that it is also a lazy take that DCEU is without joy and humor.
    From things like Superman learning to fly for the first time in MoS to the Flash being their comedic relief in ZSJL, the moments are there.
    Just b/c the overall tone of the movie is more serious, does not mean they are completely without. Just like Winter Soldier, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by tyusmax View Post
    You think Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad had the same tone as Man of Steel, BvS, Wonder Woman, and ZSJL?
    I disagree...............................I believe that it is also a lazy take that DCEU is without joy and humor.
    From things like Superman learning to fly for the first time in MoS to the Flash being their comedic relief in ZSJL, the moments are there.
    Just b/c the overall tone of the movie is more serious, does not mean they are completely without. Just like Winter Soldier, etc...
    Woah relax.. Look at the exact words

You know what isn't as vastly different in tones
    Now where did I say DC was joyless and nowhere did I say they were "the same". I simply point out that some people don't care that DC movies have general similar tones and looks and those films mention are closer to each other than Winter Soldier and Gotg to each other in tone. People use the sameness argument when it is they don't like Marvel humor that is what I was pointing out. They are literally people comparing a movie with one or two jokes and saying it is the same as a movie fullied of jokes and comedy set pieces.

Marvel and DC are shared universe films are suppose to have things in common because they are set in the same world. It is not an accident many of these movies feel alike in presentation. Anyways moving on I stated my point no need to rehash it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tyusmax View Post
    I disagree.

I think they suffer from the same issue with the jokes overwhelming the movies as Thor Ragnarok.
    Well, and also an incoherent story for Suicide Squad (after re-editing the movie apparently).
    And the Birds of Prey story was ok, but pretty meh in general.

As for WW84, there were lots of complaints about that movie, but I don't really remember a tonal shift to be more funny and have more jokes to be one of them.
    (I actually thought it was a good movie, if not great. And nothing compared to the first WW movie).

I believe that it is also a lazy take that DCEU is without joy and humor.
    yeah, there is always the thing where people misinterpret a serious tone as something bad or less less of joy, I find more joy in serious tones because they make you care more because of the high stakes that is put in the film.

The tone shift was an issue of big complaints for WW 84 as I said already, I was sort of prepared for the backlash that was coming with wonder woman 2 when Grace Randolph a known comic book media shill had to painfully admit in her first review of WW 84 that the tone shifted to very cartoonish which was like a 180 from the grounded serious tone of World War 1 that was fantastic.

However what I like with DC is DC will likley learn from the errors of wonder woman 1984, I cannot say the same for Marvel since Thor as a joke in Endgame was more over done to when he was a joke in Ragnarok. Again just simple logical metrics in calling these things as they really are.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-14-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Ultimate Member

IMO the problem with EG Thor was everyone making fun of him, not Thor himself. However, his moment with Frigga was pretty good, and showed kindness works better than mockery

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Except it happened, This is the reason, you cannot debunk anything I said.
    Except it didn't, which is the reason I always debunk what you say (the myth of the "MCU formula," if you need a refresher).

I gave the low down of the mess of the Disney and Fox merge, after disney bought fox and how MCU in their later years chose to forgo the comic's tone to adapt a different theme that fitted more with disney using their movies more as an ad for theme parks than a quest to bring this stories to life from the comics.
    You gave your own biases and unproven theories and passed them off as fact.

How many people who like Marvel and DC equally but complained about Thor Ragnorok's tone and visual style are going to like the film even less after seeing What Snyder did with the JL cut?
    A small minority? (Remember, Ragnarok was a hit, while the evidence is piling up that the Snyder Cut, well, wasn't.)

we comic fans said from the onset with thor 1 , that we like the idea that Thor can be the Lord of the rings of comics books.
    When did anyone say that?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Except it didn't, which is the reason I always debunk what you say (the myth of the "MCU formula," if you need a refresher).

A small minority? (Remember, Ragnarok was a hit, while the evidence is piling up that the Snyder Cut, well, wasn't.)

He's a troll. If you feed him, you're only encouraging him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    IMO the problem with EG Thor was everyone making fun of him, not Thor himself. However, his moment with Frigga was pretty good, and showed kindness works better than mockery
    I agree with this.

Personally, I wouldn't have handled Thor's psychological turmoil that way.

I would have treated a lot more serious than that.

Amazing Member

Now where did I say DC was joyless and nowhere did I say they were "the same". I simply point out that some people don't care that DC movies have general similar tones and looks and those films mention are closer to each other than Winter Soldier and Gotg to each other in tone. People use the sameness argument when it is they don't like Marvel humor that is what I was pointing out. They are literally people comparing a movie with one or two jokes and saying it is the same as a movie fullied of jokes and comedy set pieces.

Marvel and DC are shared universe films are suppose to have things in common because they are set in the same world. It is not an accident many of these movies feel alike in presentation. Anyways moving on I stated my point no need to rehash it.

Sorry, I wasn't responding specifically to your quote about the lazy take on DCEU being without joy and humor.
    It's just something I've seen a lot of on these forums.
    Should have made that clearer.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree with this.

Personally, I wouldn't have handled Thor's psychological turmoil that way.

I would have treated a lot more serious than that.
    I think fewer jokes at his expense would've been better. But I don't think Thor himself was really the problem.

Shazam is different from Wonder Woman is different from Aquaman is different from Joker is different from Birds of Prey. You stop comparing the Snyderverse films and there's a lot of variety in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Shazam is different from Wonder Woman is different from Aquaman is different from Joker is different from Birds of Prey. You stop comparing the Snyderverse films and there's a lot of variety in DC.
    Thank you for proving my point

Thank you for proving my point
    How on which earth did I prove your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It's hard to resist, sad to say.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

1. There is no myth of a formula, if this was a myth, why did Mickey Rouke factually complain about how much time he wasted on Iron Man 2 because marvel just wanted a specific thing? if it was a myth why would Kevin Fiege say Marvel can not make R rated films beyond deadpool 3 even now they have XMen/Blade, series that have had a combination of 5 successful r rated movies? also why would you once try to argue X-Men can be action comedy when everyone knows that should not be the case at all? all of this is because mcu only makes movies a certain way.

Bias is to say Chris Nolan is a superior film maker to Sam Raimi with no real evidence to show for it. that will be bias. it is not bias however to say, Marvel can never make a movie like a Nolan film or even an X-Men film. that is not been bias.

I don't think Ragnarok been a hit was the question, although now in the long terms, Ragnarok been a hit will just highlight how a factory made movie works. the issue with Ragnarok was the tone and how much it wasted the source material. Additionally hit movies have nothing to do with great movies, The Shawshank Redemption and Fight Club were flops, still among the best films of the 90s.HBO Max has said the Cut was still among the most watched series. So where did you get JL flopped?

Many marvel fans in 2011 who saw Thor 1,Kenneth Branagh the director gave Asgard a Lord of the rings vibe, he made the world of Asgard feel like Gondor and Rivendale from Lord of the rings, many comic fans liked that and wanted to see more of that. I guess this never came to pass, because MCU started to perfect their formula.
    This should not be surprising though. Regardless of what Disney is doing with Marvel now, by seeing marvel as nothing more but ad to sells theme parks, many marvel fans, who have been reading marvel for years have a far more higher standard view of the marvel universe, high enough that they do easily compare it to Lord of the Rings.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-15-2021 at 02:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    This is the many other countless times, you have slandered me by calling me names. I let this pass the first time when you called me a liar like Donald Trump because in sweet irony I did predict Marvel was never going to make R rated films in the future, something I was right about, now you go on other threads calling me a troll for no reason, despite the fact I have kindly asked you to stop been offensive by calling me troll just because you dont seem to like my commentary? I just want to let you know I have now taken this issue to the mods and reported this incident.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-15-2021 at 04:47 AM.