Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default DC and MC - What are your likes and dislikes?

There's a common theme here that there are DCEU fans and MCU fans and never the twain shall meet, and the preference will forever taint the validity of your opinion on the other. So let's find out where we all really stand. Because there's a disproportionate number of MCU films, I'm not claiming a start of either universe.

Spiderman 1 & 2
    Superman I & II
    Batman 66, 89, and Returns
    Iron Man 1
    Thor 1 & 2
    Captain America 1, 2, 3
    Avengers 1, 2, 3, 4
    GotG 1
    Ant Man 1
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman

Meh
    all the other Marvel films except Ragnarok
    WW84

Dislike
    Netflix Marvel
    Snyder superhero anything
    Ragnarok

Dislike:
    Marvel - The MCU's "sameyness"
    DC - The DCEU's crappy/divisive movies (mostly Snyder-influenced)

Like:
    Marvel: X-Men 1 & 2, Spiderman 1 & 2, Iron Man 1, Deadpool 1 & 2, Ant-Man 1 & 2, GotG 1 & 2, Avengers IW & EG, the Netflix series
    DC: Superman 1 & 2, Batman & Batman Returns, Batman Begins & The Dark Knight, Wonder Woman 1, Shazam, Joker, the animated movie line largely

Ultimate Member

I like most Marvel movies and DC movies, tbh

Astonishing Member

Dislike -
    Marvel - the cookie cutter nature of the films with the same narrative framework (akin to changing the paint on the same house) and intrusive humour that often is to the detriment of any seriousness
    DC - the same grim colour palette, poor pacing, lack of character development, unnecessary darkness and failure to adhere to a concise narrative (all Snyder films).

Like -
    marvel - Iron man 1, Captain America 1 - 3, Ant-man 1 & 2, X-men 2 and Days Of Future Past, Spider-man 1 & 2, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, GoTG 1, Avengers 1, 2 and Infinity War, Thor 1, Incredible Hulk, Deadpool 1 and 2,
    DC - Superman 1 & 2, Batman/Batman Returns/Batman Forever, Joker, Batman Begins & TDK, WW and WW 84.

Ultimate Member

The only superhero movies I outright dislike in the last few years are:

1. Batman vs Superman
    2. Thor the Dark World
    3. The Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2
    4. New Mutants (don't get me started on the ridiculous racist casting)
    5. X-men: Dark Phoenix

I absolutely love the varied tone of the MCU. They've given us totally serious movies like the Black Panther, Hulk and the Captain America, mixed toned movies like Captain Marvel, the Iron man movies and then lighter stuff like Ant-man and Spider-man. But Thor the Dark World didn't work at all, it was far too ordinary and Thor really didn't have anything interesting to do. The overall quality of the MCU has been staggering and their presence in pop culture today just shows how much they've connected with audiences.

WB/DC have learnt that not everything needs the darker touch and that's good. Movies like Superman and Wonder Woman don't need a specifically "serious or light" tone, they just need to be in-between (like the first Wonder Woman or the Captain America movies).

The Amazing Spider-man movies didn't work in anyway, shape or form for me. The Fox X-men series flamed out and the last couple of films there were utter garbage.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-10-2021 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I absolutely love the varied tone of the MCU. They've given us totally serious movies like the Black Panther, Hulk and the Captain America, mixed toned movies like Captain Marvel, the Iron man movies and then lighter stuff like Ant-man and Spider-man.
    I always find it weird when discussing the tone of MCU films, because I swear to me all those movies literally did not differ in tones at all. Some plot elements sure, but not the tone in which those elements were presented.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I always find it weird when discussing the tone of MCU films, because I swear to me all those movies literally did not differ in tones at all. Some plot elements sure, but not the tone in which those elements were presented.
    It's an interesting discussion.

But movies like Black Panther and Ant-man have almost nothing in common except they were both made by Marvel. Same with Winter Soldier and GoTG, completely different tones. If WB made BP or Fox made Winter Soldier, no one would say they have similar tones to the other MCU movies I mentioned.

I think the only thing the MCU movies I mentioned might have in common is the color grading but the movies themselves are tonally very different.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-11-2021 at 02:10 AM.

BANNED

First of all as a marvel and DC fan, their movies in general never have reached the genius masterful heights of their comics, I am not sure they ever will. I disliked that, so we are grading on the curve.

DC

What I like about DC is DC takes their films very seriously, their movies are not limited and they make strong creative thought out credible movies that we can call a director's film.

The weakness of DC is sometimes they panic and don't think straight and they hurt themselves for the worse because of it.

DC also can be messy in a business way, because sometimes WB will just throw anything to see what sticks. DC needs to have a creative business plan. they have a diverse creative plan but not a creative business plan and they need one.

Marvel

I will be taking every marvel into thought so Sony, FoX, Universal, Miramax and Disney. So my thoughts on marvel will be longer.

I liked when marvel was spaced out between different studios. Sony and Fox had the strongest creative artistic movies Logan, Spiderverse, DOFP, Deadpool and so on even their 20 years old films like Spiderman and X-Men 2 are still head and shoulders above many films in terms of film making masterclass. These were directors movies. However, Sony and Fox just sucked at keeping a fine quality.

While Sony and Fox did a good job at sucking badly in having no consistent quality, MCU suffers a lot from too much cooperate factory made movies and it overalls hurts their standings to take their movies seriously as real films . I agree with others who have said their movies have the sameness and their tone don't differ much. But what is more disliked about MCU is that their movies have become so dumbed down that is is now destroying the credibility of comic books entirely. I have just never seen one franchise like the MCU where so many directors love to criticise easily.

This all started with Disney getting hold of MCU and coming up with this fake bs narrative that comic movies are just light hearted fun stuff for kids and theme parks when in truth, Marvel comics have had many mature stories and themes what would rival many Stephen King's and Dan Brown Books, and the MCU fails to reflect that. so that is what I dislike the most about MCU.

What I like about the MCU is that at least, other Marvel characters like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Panther, Ant-Man and so forth has been given a chance to reach mainstream. that is the one good thing MCU has done, they made people start caring more about their D-List characters even if they don't read their comics, they see their movies.

Secondly, I sort of liked MCU phase 1 because it showed a diamond in the rough of a small studio back then with a different plan to what Sony and Fox and Universal were doing with marvel characters. Their phase 1 movies were not X2 or Spiderman 2 Marvel movie levels because MCU were more focused on getting things out there fast to build to the First Avengers film, however there were signs that the MCU will get there but it sort of never happened. It is really a darm shame that marvel got overly cooperate after they were bought out by Disney and just had to start following a formula.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-11-2021 at 03:27 AM.

BANNED

But movies like Black Panther and Ant-man have almost nothing in common except they were both made by Marvel. Same with Winter Soldier and GoTG, completely different tones. If WB made BP or Fox made Winter Soldier, no one would say they have similar tones to the other MCU movies I mentioned.

I think the only thing the MCU movies I mentioned might have in common is the color grading but the movies themselves are tonally very different.
    Black Panther and Ant Man have a lot in common and the rest of the marvel films. they are all made the same way. their cinematography, vfx, sound mixing and story telling , humour are all the same, if you mute all these films, you will not see any difference.

One thing that even bugged film in 2015 when I was age of Ultron, I was wondering why the movie had the same look as Captain America Winter Solider from 2014? this was the time, Disney had began to shape a particular one look for every Marvel film. hence the beginning of the end for their creative impute of phase 1, where Hulk looked nothing like Iron Man 1 and no, it was not because Ed Norton was brooding a lot while RDJ was more fun ,by 2019 with Endgame/Captain Marvel/Far From home. we should not even bother anymore. these movies are all window dressed from the same one model shape.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-11-2021 at 03:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I like most Marvel movies and DC movies, tbh
    Same here.

I really don't dislike most of the movies.

There are just a few that didn't work for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    There's a common theme here that there are DCEU fans and MCU fans and never the twain shall meet, and the preference will forever taint the validity of your opinion on the other. So let's find out where we all really stand. Because there's a disproportionate number of MCU films, I'm not claiming a start of either universe.

Spiderman 1 & 2
    Superman I & II
    Batman 66, 89, and Returns
    Iron Man 1
    Thor 1 & 2
    Captain America 1, 2, 3
    Avengers 1, 2, 3, 4
    GotG 1
    Ant Man 1
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman

Meh
    all the other Marvel films except Ragnarok
    WW84

Dislike
    Netflix Marvel
    Snyder superhero anything
    Ragnarok
    Fun thought, Netflix marvel was a bigger deal among the fandom than the movies, fans were more invested in Netflix marvel because they could relate to the stories more. netflix marvel was more grounded and mature in story telling with flawed characters. however they got the boot like the star wars expanded universe. highlighting a far bigger problem that goes on with big studios who favour less creative diversity.

Ultimate Member

I agree. I think it's just a matter of perception. there is a window the MCU stays in, meaning it's never too graphic or vulgar, yet never too kiddish, but somewhere in the middle, so that might be what people are referring to. But within that, I don't think the movies are too alike, especially ones where the directors have made it into their own style

Same here.

I really don't dislike most of the movies.

There are just a few that didn't work for me.
    I don't even dislike BvS. Batman and Robin is garbage though

Incredible Member

My main dislike is that the cbm are not resulting in an increase in comic book knowledge or sales. It's evident after the recent Ray Fisher controversy of racism and misconduct on the JL reshoot set with Whedon. On social media it seems that people just expected for Cyborg to say the cathphrase 'Booyah' but anyone that had read the New Teen Titans version of Cyborg from the 80s by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, would know that he would never say 'Booyah'. So this made me realize that most are not going back and reading the comic books that are associated with the characters in the comic book movies.

A good remedy for this imo would be to make a daily Superhero show minus all of special effects and cgi. Not soap operas but more like Law and Order tv series that can be seen every weekday. And a serial comic book will be published parallel to the events in the daily tv show.
    Last edited by abetterday; 04-11-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Ultimate Member

Maybe they should advertise comics during movies/shows. That could help

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    My main dislike is that the cbm are not resulting in an increase in comic book knowledge or sales. It's evident after the recent Ray Fisher controversy of racism and misconduct on the JL reshoot set with Whedon. On social media it seems that people just expected for Cyborg to say the cathphrase 'Booyah' but anyone that had read the New Teen Titans version of Cyborg from the 80s by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, would know that he would never say 'Booyah'. So this made me realize that most are not going back and reading the comic books that are associated with the characters in the comic book movies.

A good remedy for this imo would be to make a daily Superhero show minus all of special effects and cgi. Not soap operas but more like Law and Order tv series that can be seen every weekday. And a serial comic book will be published parallel to the events in the daily tv show.
    It's an interesting observation.

Some movies and tv shows have led to increased sales (like for Venom, Captain Marvel and The Flash) but these are largely isolated cases.

Most increases are in trades and not in monthly sales.

I think there are three things that need to be addressed seriously 1) Advertising- a lot of people don't even know montly comics are still a thing 2) Prices- $4-$5 is ridiculously expensive 3)Distribution- In some areas its quite difficult to get a comic to buy.