Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

At least they could advertise the collections and digital editions, especially ones connected to the specific movies and shows

Save for all of Snyder stuff and Guardians of the galaxy 2, i kinda liked most of them well enough i guess. (lot of average stuff but well...)

My favorite still are Raimi's Spider-man 2 and X-men First Class.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    My main dislike is that the cbm are not resulting in an increase in comic book knowledge or sales. It's evident after the recent Ray Fisher controversy of racism and misconduct on the JL reshoot set with Whedon. On social media it seems that people just expected for Cyborg to say the cathphrase 'Booyah' but anyone that had read the New Teen Titans version of Cyborg from the 80s by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, would know that he would never say 'Booyah'. So this made me realize that most are not going back and reading the comic books that are associated with the characters in the comic book movies.

A good remedy for this imo would be to make a daily Superhero show minus all of special effects and cgi. Not soap operas but more like Law and Order tv series that can be seen every weekday. And a serial comic book will be published parallel to the events in the daily tv show.
    Comic books have been declining since the 90s in sales, also when Disney got marvel and started to over industrialise the company, comics itself no longer had much relevance to them, this is the reason disney was trying really hard to start making the comics and games and cartoons reflects the movies but they never found much success in that because comic fans are quite different from movie fans.

when it comes to comics, for DC the fans that still matter are the Superman, Batman and WW fans and for Marvel it is the X-Men and Spiderman fans. these are the only core fans of comics that still will read their comics by a significant impact while at the same time choosing to ignore the movies.

A good remedy for this imo would be to make a daily Superhero show minus all of special effects and cgi. Not soap operas but more like Law and Order tv series that can be seen every weekday. And a serial comic book will be published parallel to the events in the daily tv show.
    it means spending movie budget money, no chance marvel will do that, DC could because of the Snyder Cut and also if Green Lantern corps on hbo max is a success and DC is not really bound by the crossover movie angle, but marvel wont' .

marvel is built on a cinema formula, even the Disney plus shows like Wandavsion and Loki, I am thinking is going to be meaningless in the long haul when it relates to the movies. Disney is not going to put any real important story line on their plus shows that will affect what goes on in the movies in a significant way.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-11-2021 at 02:15 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Save for all of Snyder stuff and Guardians of the galaxy 2, i kinda liked most of them well enough i guess. (lot of average stuff but well...)

My favorite still are Raimi's Spider-man 2 and X-men First Class

Because Spiderman and First Class are some and if not the most fleshy and compelling marvel films. they function as movies first, not comic book movies.

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't say First class is near the most compelling Marvel movie. Not even the most compelling X-Men movie

Astonishing Member

i am a sucker for the Marvel formula, like the average movie goer. So everything Marvel is fine.

DC not so much, but they have some of my favorite Superhero movies: Watchmen, Wonder Woman and Batman the Movie.

DC´s shows are unacceptable for me. The actors are too bad and I have the feeling I watch cheap daily soaps just with super heros. I stopped watching it at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This all started with Disney getting hold of MCU and coming up with this fake bs narrative that comic movies are just light hearted fun stuff for kids and theme parks when in truth, Marvel comics have had many mature stories and themes what would rival many Stephen King's and Dan Brown Books, and the MCU fails to reflect that. so that is what I dislike the most about MCU.
    Interestingly enough, MCU movies reflect the and tone of the source material far more than DCU movies. Their are some "fans" who apparently just don't like the source material.

Also, Dan Brown? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's an interesting discussion.

But movies like Black Panther and Ant-man have almost nothing in common except they were both made by Marvel. Same with Winter Soldier and GoTG, completely different tones. If WB made BP or Fox made Winter Soldier, no one would say they have similar tones to the other MCU movies I mentioned.

I think the only thing the MCU movies I mentioned might have in common is the color grading but the movies themselves are tonally very different.
    I agree that the plots had nothing in common. Very different plots. I disagree that they were tonally all that different. I felt the exact same watching those movies as regards the style of humor, lightness, brevity, pacing, and action. Tonally they we're about as different as noon vs one in the afternoon. At least to me in my opinion. You may think they felt like wildly different movies, but I think the only difference was in plot and scope (Winter Soldier and BP felt like bigger scope movies). Not the same thing as tone though.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 04-11-2021 at 02:29 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I disagree that they were tonally all that different. I felt the exact same watching those movies as regards the style of humor, lightness, brevity, pacing, and action. Tonally they we're about as different as noon vs one in the afternoon. At least to me in my opinion
    I'm not sure you understand how revealing this statement is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Interestingly enough, MCU movies reflect the and tone of the source material far more than DCU movies. Their are some "fans" who apparently just don't like the source material.
    If they do reflect the tone then MCU should have made films like the Joker by now or Batman Begins and TDK or even elseworld DC movies like Watchmen or Tim Burton's gothic Batman in the 90s. On the contrary I like the source material of marvel, which is why I don't like the narrative that MCU pushes that it is all about fun action-comedy. The general marvel universe is not an action-comedy, where the comics are too concerned about writing safe kid friendly stories that is not marvel. that is Disney.

the issue of Thor Ragnarok is the tone. the tone was done in very poor taste of the source material. Iron Man fans complaint about the tone for the sequels that were wrong also and GOTG comics were not comedy, let me finish with MCU Spiderman movies were the tone fits more on a Disney afternoon show more suited for the Mickey Mouse Club with a young Ryan Gosling than a Spiderman comic.

Also, Dan Brown? Lol.
    I find nothing funny about dan brown really, love or hate him . he is a genuine provoking writer. what is funny is knowing even if some people think dan brown is a shitty writer like Chuck Austen was a shitty comic book writer in the late 90s and early 200s, no studio should reject adapting their books based on the belief that, it is not fun enough or the tone cannot be watered down. MCU will, DCU would at least try and look at some good things to adapt to being something different to comic books.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-12-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I agree. I think it's just a matter of perception. there is a window the MCU stays in, meaning it's never too graphic or vulgar, yet never too kiddish, but somewhere in the middle, so that might be what people are referring to. But within that, I don't think the movies are too alike, especially ones where the directors have made it into their own style
    I disagree. The humor, brevity, lightness, sfx and visual style are all identical. I also think these films are so factory and committee made that directors don't leave much of their style on these films at all. The director's are largely plugged/slotted in, and you'd basically get the same movie no matter who was in the director's chair.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    What would even such a show look like, who'd be the hero, and how would it be made not boring? Minus special effects and cgi done like Law and Order doesn't sound like anything superhero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    the issue of Thor Ragnarok is the tone. the tone was done is very poor taste of the source material
    Totally agree with you here. They took an incredibly emotional story and reduced it to a farce.

But DCEU has largely rejected the source material in favor of directors' visions. Joker is the clearest example, but MoS through ZSJL are not exactly subtle examples.

Iron Man 3 was nothing like the tone of the Extremis storyline in the comics at all, I can tell you that much.

I'm not sure you understand how revealing this statement is.
    I think it's more revealing that you think it's wrong that people can disagree on the tones of a certain set of movies. But sure, I'll bite - what does it reveal about me?

And keep in mind, I never said it was a bad tone, or that it was a tone I didn't like, or that it wasn't a tone that's found massive success. I've only said it's the same tone.

BANNED

Totally agree with you here. They took an incredibly emotional story and reduced it to a farce.

But DCEU has largely rejected the source material in favor of directors' visions. Joker is the clearest example, but MoS through ZSJL are not exactly subtle examples.
    DC never rejected the source material. DC cut up with the modern source material.