Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Phase 1 was different. I don't know if it was the success of The Avengers, the Disney buyout, or just them finalizing the formula, but it was after that point in which the strong sense of "sameness" started pervading all their films.
    Were "Spider-Man: Homecoming" and "Black Panther" in the same phase? Those had pretty different tones to me. I mean, this is all subjective anyway - for me, there's enough variety so that I don't find it too repetitive. The Marvel films I didn't like so much had more to do with the stories than whether or not they felt formulaic or had "less artistic value" or not.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-13-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Were "Spider-Man: Homecoming" and "Black Panther" in the same phase? Those had pretty different tones to me.
    Not that different. I mean, BP was better, but still action MCU movie with MCU banter in spades.

Ultimate Member

Isn't that just normal banter? Most people I know make jokes all the time. Although Black Panther himself was fairly serious throughout the movie.

Besides, would anyone watch these movies without any action?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't that just normal banter? Most people I know make jokes all the time. Although Black Panther himself was fairly serious throughout the movie.

Besides, would anyone watch these movies without any action?
    Not literally all the time I hope. Like in my day to day life, banter comes out to perhaps maybe 10% of dialog with people. In the MCU, it's more like 80%? 90% some films. The amount of it just doesn't seem true to life in my opinion. Way over exaggerated. Never mind most of real life's banter and jokes isn't even half that good. A lot of banter falls flat, a lot of jokes are stupid. The MCU is overscripted on this aspect.

I didn't say the action was the problem. Although, it'd be nice if the action looked different. MCU has a particular style of sfx and cgi for their fights that you can point out as being MCU now.

Ultimate Member

Not literally all the time I hope. Like in my day to day life, banter comes out to perhaps maybe 10% of dialog with people. In the MCU, it's more like 80%? 90% some films. The amount of it just doesn't seem true to life in my opinion. Way over exaggerated. Never mind most of real life's banter and jokes isn't even half that good. A lot of banter falls flat, a lot of jokes are stupid. The MCU is overscripted on this aspect.

I didn't say the action was the problem. Although, it'd be nice if the action looked different. MCU has a particular style of sfx and cgi for their fights that you can point out as being MCU now.
    I see what you mean, but I didn't have a problem with it in Black panther specifically. AoU had a lot of lame jokes, though.

The CGI in the final battle in Black panther was a bit rough at times. It needed to be polished

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I see what you mean, but I didn't have a problem with it in Black panther specifically. AoU had a lot of lame jokes, though.

The CGI in the final battle in Black panther was a bit rough at times. It needed to be polished
    I think BP benefited a bit that the main character wasn't as quippy. For once the protagonist was more of the semi-silent straight man. It was everyone else around him that got quippy. So maybe it seemed a bit less constant since it wasn't the protagonist cracking all the jokes for once.

It's not really the quality of the CGI. More...how it's shot? Used? There's a specific look to the big CGI fights that's very similar to each other, even when compared to big CGI fights outside of the MCU. They need to cycle out the crews and teams behind the scenes more to shake it up.

Ultimate Member

I think BP benefited a bit that the main character wasn't as quippy. For once the protagonist was more of the semi-silent straight man. It was everyone else around him that got quippy. So maybe it seemed a bit less constant since it wasn't the protagonist cracking all the jokes for once.

It's not really the quality of the CGI. More...how it's shot? Used? There's a specific look to the big CGI fights that's very similar to each other, even when compared to big CGI fights outside of the MCU. They need to cycle out the crews and teams behind the scenes more to shake it up.
    I think it could help to use different groups depending on the different situations. Close-up indoor hand-to-hand might require different camera work than open outdoor big battles would

The GoTG and Black Panther are vastly different in tones, You know what isn't as vastly different in tones Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, BatmanV Superman, Wonder Woman, ZS Justice League, Harley Quinn but know what DC movies general get complained about by some fans Shazam, Aquaman and WW84 aka the movie that shift away from "the DCEU overly serious tone". You can't take similarness or variety complaints too seriously because if it was real thing they would be complaints about DCEU as well.

The complaining is really about not liking a MCU style of humor, it is lazy complaint imo to call them all the same similar. Note it is not some big insult to say that they are similar because they are things that are suppose to be similar. One ,they are in the same universe so MCU has overall universal tone(just like DCEU) that all its movies and shows have, yeah they are suppose to feel and look alike. Two, a vast majority of the MCU movies so far are Origin or Introduction stories which there is a general similarness in those type of stories I mean Iron Man and Dr. Strange is basically the same story. I am going to talk about last component in a second but if you notice in all of chances to talk about this stuff. It is humor the only thing that pops up when people complain.

Anyways the last part is what MCU story or character is suppose to be different in presentation and tone? Iron Man, Peter Quil, Antman and Spiderman are quippers, Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel are sarcastic both of those things lend themselves to be presented in comedic moments. Thor, Black Panther and Captain America are more serious and their movies in general are more serious than others.In the MCU with maybe exception of Thor Ragnarok , the MCU has present stories and characters in manner they should. And this big point the MCU heroes they have used so far are generally the same style of heroes and even in the comics they aren't much variance. If the MCU was using Hulk, Blade, Wolverine, Punisher, Daredevil, etc or telling some darker or tragic story they would be a expectation for some vastly different tone.

Now I wish people would just be straight forward in just saying they don't like the style of humor but quick easy lazy complaint to say they are same or manufactured. GotG and Antman are comedies, They have big comedic set pieces which are just as important as the action set pieces. Captain America, Thor and Black Panther are straight up action/drama but they have occasional joke usually coming from a comedic relief character in Thor it was Kat Denning Character, in Black Panther it was Shuri. Black Panther doesn't not feel a like GoTG or Antman.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-13-2021 at 11:22 PM.

Ultimate Member

Dr Strange isn't even that much of a quipper. He just said one or two lines to wong. Next to Iron Man he's fairly serious

Most of the female heroes are fairly serious too

The only DC and Marvel stuff I have actually disliked have been Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Blade Trinity, X3, First Class, Spider-Man 3, Superman Returns, Superman 4, the third Nolan Batman film, Joker, Origins, the Deadpools and War Zone.

There are story beats I dislike in films like Avengers, AoU, BvS, ZSJL, Dark World, The Dark Knight, etc. But I don't generally dislike them.

IMHO I was concerned the MCU was going to get super dark like the DCEU went.

I actually am quite surprised DC has had so many bleak films. DC was much lighter when I was a kid and Marvel was the "adult" company. Until the pre Vertigo stuff came and I went back to DC.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-13-2021 at 11:12 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

If the MCU movies were all that similar, then the box office of the movies would be a lot lower as the audience would have had enough of watching the same style of film. It would be like watching a franchise where the original makes the most box office and each movie tends to decline. The majority of MCU movies are different enough otherwise there wouldn't be 22+ films and counting. The audiences don't like repetition that much.

Astonishing Member

Biggest dislike for Marvel is the Fox X-Men. The brand is tainted and a lot of it is ruined IMO for new fans to come along. The characters and plotlines should have been adapted into billion dollar movies but there were a lot of box office disappointments. Probably will never see another adaptation of the Dark Phoenix in my lifetime. Fox really dropped the ball with the X-Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Biggest dislike for Marvel is the Fox X-Men. The brand is tainted and a lot of it is ruined IMO for new fans to come along. The characters and plotlines should have been adapted into billion dollar movies but there were a lot of box office disappointments. Probably will never see another adaptation of the Dark Phoenix in my lifetime. Fox really dropped the ball with the X-Men.
    I think we all know this is objectively not true, at least from a film making and story telling stand point or even a marvel fan stand point. to say the brand is ruined permanently is to try and ignore Logan, DOFP, Deadpool, X1/X2, First Class that stand heads and shoulder above MCU movies because these X-Men films showed you did not need to dumb down marvel comics in films but more importantly, directors were not just there to cross I's and T's. I respect James Mangold, the director of Logan on how much he loved making a stand alone film where he called the shots alone both as a director and writer for the films or how much a young Bryan Singer back then spoke about how important it was to take comic book seriously.

I find statements like this desperate, not to mention harmful to the future MCU X-Men because it feels as an attempt to try justify a potential dumbed down action comedies MCU X-Men, which will likely taint the franchise more than any of the worst fox films.

X-Men should not even be in a discussion to be the Disney films not after a post 2010 era were Fox made DOFP/Deadpool/Logan in a space of five years . Marvel Movies that broke so many boundaries in story telling, directing, VFX and themes that MCU has admitted they can never do.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-14-2021 at 12:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I would think the ship has sailed, too. But if that means we would get a Jean Grey with more screen time I will not complain. But anything would be better than what we got in the Fox X-Men.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 04-14-2021 at 12:17 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I think we all know this is objectively not true, at least from a film making and story telling stand point. to say the brand is ruined permanently is to try and ignore Logan, DOFP, Deadpool, X1/X2, First Class that stand heads and shoulder above MCU movies because these X-Men films showed you did not need to dumb down marvel comics in films but more importantly, directors were not just there to cross I's and T's.

I find statements like this desperate, not to mention harmful to the future MCU X-Men because it feels as an attempt to justify a potential dumbed down action comedies MCU X-Men, which will likely taint the franchise more than any of the worst fox films.

X-Men should not even be in a discussion to be the Disney films not after a post 2010 era were Fox made DOFP/Deadpool/Logan in a space of five years. Marvel Movies that broke so many boundaries in story telling, directing, VFX and themes that MCU has admitted they can never do.
    "objectively " the joke got old a long time ago.
    "I find statements like this desperate, not to mention harmful" as usual ironic statement coming from you.
    And it is true the main X-Men movies are not something that someone would call in a good state. The last two movies were just more eye-opening about the bad parts that plagued the franchise from the beginning.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 04-14-2021 at 12:19 AM.