Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I have mixed feeling with Morrisons run. I like how he brought in mutants that just had a physical mutation with no powers...that was a theme used in the 90s cartoon as well. The stories were pretty solid, up until the whole Xorn thing...and the magneto thing...pretty much the end of his run just got weird and convoluted. I am not a Morrison fan, I read several different titles of his and did make an effort to become a fan. That being said, I did have more likes than dislikes during his xmen run.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    The stories were pretty solid, up until the whole Xorn thing...and the magneto thing...pretty much the end of his run just got weird and convoluted.
    I also hated Riot at Xaviers. That plus Planet-X were massive piles of shit.
    The rest of his run though I thought was spectacular.

A brilliant run, and the thing that made me an Emma fan. Jean was good as well, although I confess I don't care much for Morrison's Beast (his demeanour turned from a mostly-positive character to the opposite), although I liked his friendship with Emma. Cassandra Nova was a good villain, and I can find something to like about every arc. I may have to read it again, it has been a while.

I love GM domino she really became a fav. or me when i first read this, sage was good to

I liked all of Morrison's New X-Men except for Here Comes Tomorrow.

It is nice that one of the new characters he created, Angel Salvadore, made it to the movies, X-Men First Class.

Pretty much loved the whole run, personally. It's after effects are still major points in current continuity and it's over ten years since it began. I liked how it felt complete by the end of Here Comes Tomorrow. I wasn't wild about a lot of the art during the run, I must confess. There were also some odd quirks with some characters that didn't seem to fit right but it's only a minor quibble really.

I really feel like rick remender and kg really ran with grant Morrison's run and did wonders with it

Jason arrons run was to silly by The end of it

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    I really feel like rick remender and kg really ran with grant Morrison's run and did wonders with it

Jason arrons run was to silly by The end of it
    Fantomex has been pretty miss for me since Morrison left. The change in his powers, particularly, seemed to just encourage lazier writing and take the wit out of him. On the whole, I miss the guy who just dug his spurs into everybody and was deliberately annoying, while flirting equally hard with both Jean and Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    Pretty much loved the whole run, personally. It's after effects are still major points in current continuity and it's over ten years since it began. I liked how it felt complete by the end of Here Comes Tomorrow. I wasn't wild about a lot of the art during the run, I must confess. There were also some odd quirks with some characters that didn't seem to fit right but it's only a minor quibble really.
    The art was the weakness of the run. It was good mostly, but it kept changing.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    The art was the weakness of the run. It was good mostly, but it kept changing.
    I remember the delays at the time - God it was awful. Especially on Germ-Free Generation - I think they printed an apology in the letters page.

Kordey was the fill-in for a fill-in, IIRC.

Overall i thought Phil Jimenez was the most consistent artist out of the ones they used. I liked Bachalo's designs in Attack on Weapon Plus (and LOVED his Fantomex cover) but the action scenes were a bit confuddled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    The art was the weakness of the run.
    Yes the art was inconsistent, it ranged from great (Jimenez / Silvestri) to passable (Quitely) to really bad (Kordey).

In spite of that - while it was Whedon's Astonishing that brought me back after dropping from the franchise completely (and comics in general) in the early 2000s - I went back to catch up with Morrison's run a few years back and I regard it as one of the all time best that I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    I remember the delays at the time - God it was awful. Especially on Germ-Free Generation - I think they printed an apology in the letters page.

Kordey was the fill-in for a fill-in, IIRC.

Overall i thought Phil Jimenez was the most consistent artist out of the ones they used. I liked Bachalo's designs in Attack on Weapon Plus (and LOVED his Fantomex cover) but the action scenes were a bit confuddled.
    Yeah, fill-in for a fill-in sounds about right. A real shame about the delays and all that.

So yeah I dont think I can make the time to re-read the run, but I'll keep up with this thread for a refresher and I look forward to some more insights about it
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 05-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Ahh yes... the art. Usually fell in the mediocre-weak range for me personally. Its a shame considering most of the content.

Despite having yet to read the first and sixth trades of the Morrison run, I consider it one of the best stories I've had the pleasure to read. I could delve into so many specifics, but in general I felt that it gave readers everything an x-comic was supposed to give, except it also pushed those ideas to logical conclusions.

-Pav, who especially enjoyed Here Comes Tomorrow...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

See, I get that Quitely is polarizing, and I admit that I didn't like his work at first glance. Maybe it's the hindsight talking, but now I really wish he had drawn the whole run. He and Morrison have a superb creative synergy that is hard to fine, and there is a certain grandiosity and clean precision to some of his work. This work was meant for his pencils, but alas.

I didn't like EVS's work at all on this title. It just didn't fit.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    Maybe it's the hindsight talking, but now I really wish he had drawn the whole run.
    We'd still only be halfway through!

Seriously though, I know what you mean about synergy. Those two just have a chemistry. I really enjoyed Jimenez' work though.

Rating the GM artists

1) Phil Jimenez
    2) Frank Quitely
    3)Chris Bachalo
    4) Igor Kordey
    5) Ethan van Sciver

Kieron Grant, John Paul Leon and Leinil Francis Yu all did an issue each.