• Valkyrie

21 29.17%
  • Wasp

53 73.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    She's certainly not as popular on this forum as I thought that she was. But it could also be a case that the other women are just that much more popular.
    That's probably it. Personally I'm not a huge fan of her although I thought she'd be more popular than Tigra.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's probably it. Personally I'm not a huge fan of her although I thought she'd be more popular than Tigra.
    Same here. But other than the early issues of West Coast Avengers, I haven't really followed Tigra's exploits as an Avenger. Maybe there's a major story arc that I don't know about that's driving fan reaction? Or maybe it's just nostalgia???

To the OP, I think we need a tie breaker to determine the 7th spot.

And then maybe see who gets fancasted to star as these characters in a MCU production.

Ultimate Member

Same here. But other than the early issues of West Coast Avengers, I haven't really followed Tigra's exploits as an Avenger. Maybe there's a major story arc that I don't know about that's driving fan reaction? Or maybe it's just nostalgia???

And then maybe see who gets fancasted to star as these characters in a MCU production.
    Most are already in the MCU. Also, it's a bit surprising to me Toni Ho is on this list now that I think about.

Well as of right now, Black Widow occupies the 7th spot, pulling a head of Carol and inching closer to Tigra. I’m surprised Tigra is getting so much votes! Very interesting

Most are already in the MCU. Also, it's a bit surprising to me Toni Ho is on this list now that I think about.
    Toni got a lot of mentions in the original thread. I wasn’t familiar with her so I had to look her up and she seems like a cool character. Plus more Asian representation is always a good thing in my book

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Well as of right now, Black Widow occupies the 7th spot, pulling a head of Carol and inching closer to Tigra. I’m surprised Tigra is getting so much votes! Very interesting
    I'm not super familiar with Tigra, but she has actual powers, unlike BW, so maybe that factors into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Toni got a lot of mentions in the original thread. I wasn’t familiar with her so I had to look her up and she seems like a cool character. Plus more Asian representation is always a good thing in my book
    She's somewhat obscure, which is why I was surprised, but more Asian representation is a plus

Crystal
    Scarlet Witch
    Black Widow
    Spectrum
    She-Hulk
    Spider-Woman
    Moondragon

Astonishing Member

I'm surprised everyone received more votes than Black Widow. I wonder if that changes after BW's movie releases?
    I think part of the issue here may be that Mockingbird's presence split the vote. The two of them have very similar abilities and skill sets, as both of them are costumed athlete spies-turned-superheroes, so people may have wanted to go for a more diverse mix of powers and skills and therefore not chosen the Widow if they also wanted to vote for Bobbi.

I suspect she's not as popular in the comics
    She's quite popular in the comics. Her prominence in the MCU has certainly helped in that regard, but she was a popular character who was given her own solo and co-starring projects many times prior to her introduction in the MCU. If anything, her popularity in the comics was likely why she was one of the first female heroes that the MCU introduced even though in the comics both Wasp and Scarlet Witch preceded her as Avengers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I think part of the issue here may be that Mockingbird's presence split the vote. The two of them have very similar abilities and skill sets, as both of them are costumed athlete spies-turned-superheroes, so people may have wanted to go for a more diverse mix of powers and skills and therefore not chosen the Widow if they also wanted to vote for Bobbi.

She's quite popular in the comics. Her prominence in the MCU has certainly helped in that regard, but she was a popular character who was given her own solo and co-starring projects many times prior to her introduction in the MCU. If anything, her popularity in the comics was likely why she was one of the first female heroes that the MCU introduced even though in the comics both Wasp and Scarlet Witch preceded her as Avengers.
    I thought she was added because all the other female heroes weren't available at the time.

As I understand it this poll isn't necessarily an indicator for the popularity of the characters in question. Nat is my favorite but I don't need her on the Avengers as I enjoy her solo stories much more. So to me it's not a surprise that characters who are heavily associated with their Avengers stint are above her in this particular poll as Nat is a solo character first and an Avenger second.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Ultimate Member

I always thought she was more of an in-between character

Astonishing Member

I thought she was added because all the other female heroes weren't available at the time.
    If you're referring to the MCU, all the other female heroes were "available" (apart from ones whose rights were owned by Fox and Sony, like the Invisible Woman, members of the X-Men, etc), it was just a matter of introducing them into the MCU. Black Widow ended up being the first one they chose to introduce -- partly because her backstory as a super-spy was didn't require an origin movie of her own; partly because in the comics she started out as an IRON MAN villain so introducing her in an IRON MAN movie seemed appropriate; and partly because she was a popular character that the fans would be excited to see.

Ultimate Member

If you're referring to the MCU, all the other female heroes were "available" (apart from ones whose rights were owned by Fox and Sony, like the Invisible Woman, members of the X-Men, etc), it was just a matter of introducing them into the MCU. Black Widow ended up being the first one they chose to introduce -- partly because her backstory as a super-spy was didn't require an origin movie of her own; partly because in the comics she started out as an IRON MAN villain so introducing her in an IRON MAN movie seemed appropriate; and partly because she was a popular character that the fans would be excited to see.
    By available I meant "allowed". And I didn't realize people were excited to see her. I remember after IM2 came out, a lot of people didn't really like her that much.

And honestly, if they were changing it up, why limit the first team to only one female character?

Astonishing Member

By available I meant "allowed". And I didn't realize people were excited to see her. I remember after IM2 came out, a lot of people didn't really like her that much.

And honestly, if they were changing it up, why limit the first team to only one female character?
    Presumably because they felt they already had a large enough cast to try and do justice for with the first movie. After all it was the MCU's first team movie and they already had 6 superheroes to fit in, plus the villain, plus Nick Fury, Maria Hill and Phil Coulson. It has been revealed that Joss Whedon did originally have plans to include the Wasp in the first Avengers movie, but that got scrapped.

Unfortunately you also have to factor in some of the sexism involved in the entertainment industry--especially relating to female roles in action/adventure movies--which is why the MCU has dragged its feet with introducing its female heroes in general. The Guardians Of The Galaxy in the MCU also only had one female member in their first meeting, despite the team having multiple women members in the comics (they did eventually get around to adding Mantis in the 2nd movie, just as the Avengers added Scarlet Witch in the 2nd).

Ultimate Member

Presumably because they felt they already had a large enough cast to try and do justice for with the first movie. After all it was the MCU's first team movie and they already had 6 superheroes to fit in, plus the villain, plus Nick Fury, Maria Hill and Phil Coulson. It has been revealed that Joss Whedon did originally have plans to include the Wasp in the first Avengers movie, but that got scrapped.

Unfortunately you also have to factor in some of the sexism involved in the entertainment industry--especially relating to female roles in action/adventure movies--which is why the MCU has dragged its feet with introducing its female heroes in general. The Guardians Of The Galaxy in the MCU also only had one female member in their first meeting, despite the team having multiple women members in the comics (they did eventually get around to adding Mantis in the 2nd movie, just as the Avengers added Scarlet Witch in the 2nd).
    I can see why it would've been difficult to put Wasp in there but it's also due to Edgar Wright possibly taking too long to film Ant-Man. Captain Marvel (Carol or Monica) and She-Hulk might've needed more build-up

Sexism is a big factor, and was even more so back when the Creative Committee & Ike Perlmutter were suppressing any female led efforts, so my question is rhetorical in a way

UPDATED VOTE TALLY
    1. Scarlet Witch (56 votes)
    2. Wasp (52 votes)
    3. She-Hulk (49 votes)
    4. Spectrum (49 votes)
    5. Tigra (32 votes)
    6. Spider-Woman (31 votes)
    7. Black Widow (29 votes)
    8. Captain Marvel (27 votes)