Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $5.99

From what I saw at my LCS all the Joker books had a card stock cover, so is that why they all are $5.99? Should let folks decide to get the cheaper one without forcing the card stock cover on them?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    From what I saw at my LCS all the Joker books had a card stock cover, so is that why they all are $5.99? Should let folks decide to get the cheaper one without forcing the card stock cover on them?
    Joker is probably a trial for doing more main line card stock covers. I think there have been a few other (limited) series they have done it on. Marvel I think has done something similar on some event titles as well. Although for Marvel it would mean adding a cover to their books (techinically Marvel books are self-covered, the cover is actually just printed on the same paper as the inside). So when DC switches to card stock and go with the $1 increase, Marvel will just add a $1 to the same crap they overcharge for.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm old. I was buying new comics when they were 35 cents. I said I'd stop when they reached $3. I kept buying. Four dollar comics were too expensive to buy (even at, ahem, $3.99). But still, while I cut back everything I wasn't really crazy about, I kept buying. June/July's Marvels and DC comics list a LOT of them at the $5 mark. I'm not buying them. I have 5 decades worth of back issues I've culled at least twice to keep only [sigh, well, 'primarily'] those I really enjoy reading again and again. I'll continue to support $4 indy comics and the few 'mainstreamers' I still follow. But $5 per comic proves to be beyond my limit. But then, I'm old, and still remember when comics were 'still only 35 cents!'
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    . . . But then, I'm old, and still remember when comics were 'still only 35 cents!'
    Hell, you're a babe in the woods compared to some of us.

DC didn't go from 30₵ to 35₵ for the cover price until 1977!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Well, Major, it's true I really didn't begin 'collecting' until 1974 or so. As a kid I do remember comics going from 12 to 15 cents, but mostly I didn't buy comics then so much as go next door to read the neighbor's. And I remember their going to a quarter later on, but I didn't really begin buying comicbooks until the tide'd turned and I was outta college and on my own and rediscovering the four color pleasures.doctor strange - strange tales 169.jpg This's one I remember actually owning as a kid. Made me a Doc fan pretty much for life.
    Last edited by matt levin; 04-17-2021 at 05:14 PM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet