Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider-Man Timeline

So I was thinking of something about how all the stories played out in the modern age. Peter is supposed to be 28 or 29. That means he became Spiderman around 2008 or 2009 and graduated on 2011 or 2012. So how exactly would all the stories play out int the 2010's? Given modern technology and all. How does the Death of Gwen Stacy play out? Original Clone saga? The marriage, ect. This is purely for fun. So what do you think?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    So I was thinking of something about how all the stories played out in the modern age. Peter is supposed to be 28 or 29.
    Officially, he's mid-20s. As young as 24 and as old as 27. And only about 10 years separates him from getting bit by the spider.

That means he became Spiderman around 2008 or 2009 and graduated on 2011 or 2012. So how exactly would all the stories play out int the 2010's? Given modern technology and all. How does the Death of Gwen Stacy play out? Original Clone saga? The marriage, ect. This is purely for fun. So what do you think?
    The big issue is Green Goblin flying around Manhattan on a glider, which I think wouldn't be so easy after 9/11. The airspace of NYC is a more paranoid place after 9/11 and I think Goblin dropping Gwen off a major bridge in NYC would have a different resonance.

But ultimately it doesn't matter. Nobody is going to do a redo of all comics with updated styles and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Officially, he's mid-20s. As young as 24 and as old as 27. And only about 10 years separates him from getting bit by the spider.

The big issue is Green Goblin flying around Manhattan on a glider, which I think wouldn't be so easy after 9/11. The airspace of NYC is a more paranoid place after 9/11 and I think Goblin dropping Gwen off a major bridge in NYC would have a different resonance.

But ultimately it doesn't matter. Nobody is going to do a redo of all comics with updated styles and attitudes.
    Him being in his mid 20's downet make that much sense. And dude this is mostly for speculation and fun.

I don't know if it would change that much. I guess people would have cell phones?

Astonishing Member

Not true. “Officially” he’s at least over 28. He had his 28th birthday in the first issue of the third volume of ASM iirc. That issue came out just after Superior ended.

Imho, he should be late 20s to early 30s. It’s ridiculous to condense the thousands of adventures he’s had as Spidey into only a handful of years. At this point he should’ve been Spidey for 10-15 years, with it closer to 15 than 10. But I know, I know... Marvel wants him to stay a kid forever. *sigh*

BANNED

Him being in his mid 20's downet make that much sense. And dude this is mostly for speculation and fun.
    Nah I get that, I was just spitballing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if it would change that much. I guess people would have cell phones?
    Which would make Spider-Man's photography career a little harder, not impossible but Peter providing Jonah those exclusives. The only way around it is to confirm that Peter actually is a talented photographer (which the original LD issues said he was) and Jonah uses it because they're better quality and better composed.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Not true. “Officially” he’s at least over 28. He had his 28th birthday in the first issue of the third volume of ASM iirc. That issue came out just after Superior ended.
    Spencer's run came after Slott's run. Spencer's run said he's "mid-20s" so whatever Slott said about how old he is...it didn't happen. Put it out of your mind.

At least that's the way Marvel Continuity works. You are supposed to ignore and wish away any mention of the character ages in the story.

Imho, he should be late 20s to early 30s. It’s ridiculous to condense the thousands of adventures he’s had as Spidey into only a handful of years. At this point he should’ve been Spidey for 10-15 years, with it closer to 15 than 10. But I know, I know... Marvel wants him to stay a kid forever. *sigh*
    Ideally, if Marvel has the guts then ASM#1000 should be his 30th Birthday. That's not so far away especially with double-shipping. Once Peter hits 30 in the pages of ASM then I think the aging would be easier.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 04-11-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Spencer's run came after Slott's run. Spencer's run said he's "mid-20s" so whatever Slott said about how old he is...it didn't happen. Put it out of your mind.
    Mid 20s is malleable. It could conceivably encompass 28 if you’re being generous and just regarding the final year of 29 as “late.” I don’t remember that reference, but maybe Peter doesn’t like being near 30 and so he’s fudging his age a bit. Anyway, the 28th birthday issue seems a bit more concrete. Hey, if it were up to me, he’d be at least 32, so I’ll take what I can get.

At least that's the way Marvel Continuity works. You are supposed to ignore and wish away any mention of the character ages in the story.
    Yes, and it’s unfortunate. That wasn’t the case until the late 90s when continuity started being prioritized less and real character development was substituted with the illusion of development that always reverted to status quo at the end of each writer’s run. But I digress.

Ideally, if Marvel has the guts then ASM#1000 should be his 30th Birthday. That's not so far away especially with double-shipping. Once Peter hits 30 in the pages of ASM then I think the aging would be easier.
    I agree. But they won’t. Although maybe they will. Spencer seems on the cusp of addressing OMD head-on, so anything is possible I suppose.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 04-11-2021 at 08:27 AM.

well he is either 28 or 29 cause when Slott first brought back Peter from Otto body in the Lucky to Be Alive issue its says its been 13 years since he has put on the suit. So we have confirmation on it there. It you want to ignore it thats fine
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Which would make Spider-Man's photography career a little harder, not impossible but Peter providing Jonah those exclusives. The only way around it is to confirm that Peter actually is a talented photographer (which the original LD issues said he was) and Jonah uses it because they're better quality and better composed.
    Peter's photography career was built on the fact that he had the best photos of Spider-Man, which was partly because he deliberately staged it to where the camera was right there in the action and got the best photos of him.

Probably more dynamic and up close than anything a flip phone could pick up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Peter's photography career was built on the fact that he had the best photos of Spider-Man, which was partly because he deliberately staged it to where the camera was right there in the action and got the best photos of him.

Probably more dynamic and up close than anything a flip phone could pick up.
    Right, but the tendency among later writers and artists to make Peter to be some bad photographer or in Marvel Comics #1000 to claim that Jameson only hired him as a sop because he felt bad for his uncle (That Marvel Comics single-page story has other problems, it has Robbie shown in the early timeline but he only joined in the Romita-era timeline) even if his photos aren't good, goes against that.

I guess people think being good at photography isn't something "everyman-ish" which is ridiculous because photography is an artform that's not that hard to "git good" at. Obviously there's a difference between average photographers and Ansel Adams or whatever, but you can be a good photographer if you train yourself well for becoming a photojournalist. So making Peter a good photographer works better.

A Milennial Spider-man also means that he grew up in Post 9/11 era and what that means is certain iconic moments simply don't work anymore.

A good example is the famous kiss in ASM#143
    Peter MJ Kiss 2 - ASM#143 Conway-Andru.jpg

This was from an issue in 1974. And this issue and this image is Pre-9/11 as all get out. You have Mary Jane, who's not a passenger accompany Peter and Robbie all the way to the boarding gate, and the kiss happens right before Peter's entering the chute to enter the plane and right after MJ walks out of an empty airport in a swoon.

Before 9/11 you could have passengers have families and friends and companions accompany them into the airport and all the way to the boarding gate. Practically overnight, 9/11 changed that and now passengers have to say goodbye at the airport. The first writer who showed this was JMS where he showed Peter-MJ's goodbye at the airport entrance rather than the boarding gate:
    ASM#505 - Goodbye outside airport.jpg

However, the airport scene in Conway/Andru's issue is just too iconic in its staging. Obviously the big dramatic large image of the couple and the backgrounds works better with the large space of an airport interior and it wouldn't work if you change the background, so most people simply use it as-is. Matt Fraction's "To Have and to Hold" (which at that time would have set the scene around the late-90s) directly quoted the Conway/Andru moment.

Peter is 29 if 14 years have passed. How old was he when he got married now?

That one's easier to figure out since there are some benchmarks.

He graduated college in Amazing Spider-Man #185. He'd be 21 or 22 at that point.
    He quit grad school in Amazing Spider-Man #243. We can figure that's one year later.
    Right before Peter proposed to MJ, we had the first conclusion of the Hobgoblin saga. So that took about one year.

So we could figure he was 23 or 24.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yup, Marvel goofed. They stated during Slott's run that Cindy was in the bunker for 13 years and we know Peter became Spider-Man when he was 15. Furthermore, there was that villain sent forward in time 1 year just before Cindy showed up that Peter has since fought so we can add another year to Spidey's tenure thus we get a total of 14 years for an age of 29. Marvel has since attempted to backpedaled by saying Cindy was only in the bunker 10 years but I'm not buying it given a 10-year timeline is too short for all the events that have taken place 14 - 15 years works much better.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

I'd say he is 29.
    But honestly, I wouldn't think too hard about it, it's one step more stable than the Simpsons timeline.

In this era of security cameras being "all over the place" in various cities, that would definitely have an affect on Peter's attempts to maintain a secret identity, changing in random alleys and such.