Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default DC March 2021 Sales

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-03.html

"Despite DC's small slate, initial orders for its new comics in our retail order dataset were up from February, thanks to several new series launches."
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 04-21-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Note the below:

These are unit and dollar sales rankings based on sales tracked at point-of-sale by the ComicHub system at stores selling American comics around the world. During the period for which these reports were generated, there were over 100 stores using the ComicHub system. As this is a small, non-random sample of over 3,000 stores selling American comics worldwide, these rankings may not be typical for all stores, but do represent a variety of locations and store emphases.

Now you see why the Watchmen bit was thrown in Rebirth. Darkseid IS.... kinda played out honestly. Also Williamson isn’t a superstar the way Johns was at his peak. So far I’ve been enjoyed Infinite Frontier but after Rebirth fizzled out, people aren’t going to hype themselves up again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Now you see why the Watchmen bit was thrown in Rebirth. Darkseid IS.... kinda played out honestly. Also Williamson isn’t a superstar the way Johns was at his peak. So far I’ve been enjoyed Infinite Frontier but after Rebirth fizzled out, people aren’t going to hype themselves up again.
    Which is pretty sad since it seems like Williamson learned his lessons about how the rebirth mysteries are handled and has said they'll try to answers most of the mysteries by next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Which is pretty sad since it seems like Williamson learned his lessons about how the rebirth mysteries are handled and has said they'll try to answers most of the mysteries by next year.
    Yep, the problem is customers can’t go back and unbuy something after it’s disappointed them, so instead they simply punish the next product that comes along by staying away. Once the next issue of Infinite Frontier come out, hopefully people will get interested in seeing what Williamson is doing.

Also laughing at how well Tynion is doing, looks like injecting a little manga into Batman is working out for him. Lot of complaints about him online but he’s clearly the hottest creator DC has with the old guard declining in popularity.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Genuinely surprised to see Teen Titans Academy at #17, I liked its fun but I genuinely wasn’t sure how people would react to the Titans becoming school teachers to a new generation of unknown kids.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

The disclaimer on these numbers is important, not only is it a small sample size, it is also sales to customers and our past analysis has been based on sales to retailers.

There are some things I am curious about but I find the flaws in these numbers not worth thinking too much about.

Even if Rebirth lived up to the 'hype', there is no single hook here, Death Metal felt like it did a lot of wrapping up, Future State has not happened yet, I read IF #0 and I can't really tell you what it was about. It just was. And that is fine, Rebirth was an anomaly, these kinds of one shots don't usually top the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The disclaimer on these numbers is important, not only is it a small sample size, it is also sales to customers and our past analysis has been based on sales to retailers.

There are some things I am curious about but I find the flaws in these numbers not worth thinking too much about.
    Yeah, since the numbers previously had been based on orders placed by stores reported by Diamond Distribution, it's not really the same information compared to what we've been use to in the past.

In one sense, the data doesn't really say much since it's only based on 100 stores, but I do like that it's using sales-to-customers rather than sales-to-retailers, so that the numbers aren't skewed based on which comic had the most variants.

I know DC doesn't go through Diamond anymore, but it would be interesting to see how well Marvel titles did on the Diamond chart and if any high-ranking titles on that chart sold lower to end-customers. More stores participating in the ComicHub tracking system would give us a better idea of how many high ordered titles are just sitting on the shelves because they were just ordered to qualify for the variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    . . . More stores participating in the ComicHub tracking system would give us a better idea of how many high ordered titles are just sitting on the shelves because they were just ordered to qualify for the variants.
    But some times they aren't "just sitting on the shelf" forever if they do eventually sell a month-or-so later, and that information may not really show up as well over a period of two-or-three months.

Yep, the problem is customers can’t go back and unbuy something after it’s disappointed them, so instead they simply punish the next product that comes along by staying away. Once the next issue of Infinite Frontier come out, hopefully people will get interested in seeing what Williamson is doing.

Also laughing at how well Tynion is doing, looks like injecting a little manga into Batman is working out for him. Lot of complaints about him online but he’s clearly the hottest creator DC has with the old guard declining in popularity.
    Maybe you ought to hit pause on that laughter and consider is it injecting manga or is it Batman and Joker? Tynion has done other Titles without Batman and Joker in the title. Those are a better reflection of his true selling power.

Also how can you say any of this without numbers to compare to his past Batman peers without the manga injection.
    The main Batman title always sells regardless and Joker is one of DC's juggernaut's. Batman, Joker and Harley right now are among the hottest thing's in comics.

He's used the Joker a TON since being on Batman and then got him a Joker solo book. I'd say a big part of his success is how strong an IP the Joker is and that pumps up sales.
    Last edited by Badou; 04-11-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Maybe you ought to hit pause on that laughter and consider is it injecting manga or is it Batman and Joker? Tynion has done other Titles without Batman and Joker in the title. Those are a better reflection of his true selling power.

Also how can you say any of this without numbers to compare to his past Batman peers without the manga injection.
    The main Batman title always sells regardless and Joker is one of DC's juggernaut's. Batman, Joker and Harley right now are among the hottest thing's in comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    He's used the Joker a TON since being on Batman and then got him a Joker solo book. I'd say a big part of his success is how strong an IP the Joker is and that pumps up sales.
    Lmao I’m guessing you two aren’t fans of Tynion. Look Joker wasn’t in the March issues of Batman, and we went two months without a Tynion Batman book because of FS but it doesn’t seem to have hurt Tynion’s sales any. People seem to like what he’s doing for now, so you better buckle up for three years of Tynion on the main Batman book since that’s how long he plans to stay.

Lmao I’m guessing you two aren’t fans of Tynion. Look Joker wasn’t in the March issues of Batman, and we went two months without a Tynion Batman book because of FS but it doesn’t seem to have hurt Tynion’s sales any. People seem to like what he’s doing for now, so you better buckle up for three years of Tynion on the main Batman book since that’s how long he plans to stay.
    Ugh. By then we'll have 100 new characters and zero plot progression. He's already introduced 13 new characters over 21 issues.

Is it that people like Tynion's Batman run or that people love the character Batman and are willing to tolerate Tynion's writing for now?

I would imagine there are readers from both sides currently buying the book at present.