View Poll Results: Who's your LEAST favorite WW character?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aleka

0 0%
  • The Dark Gods

0 0%
  • Derinoe

0 0%
  • Egg Fu

6 11.76%
  • Eirene (the god, not the minotaur)

0 0%
  • First Born

4 7.84%
  • Genocide

2 3.92%
  • Grail

2 3.92%
  • I-Ching

0 0%
  • Jason

10 19.61%
  • Liar Liar

8 15.69%
  • Maxwell Lord

6 11.76%
  • Tolifhar & the Gorilla Knights

1 1.96%
  • Zola

1 1.96%
  • OTHER

11 21.57%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Join the club. I've never enjoyed Steve as Diana's default love interest. He's been a non-entity in the comics for decades now.
    I felt like he started to get interesting again in Rucka's Rebirth run, but then they dropped the ball on him hard....

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I felt like he started to get interesting again in Rucka's Rebirth run, but then they dropped the ball on him hard....
    To be fair, they dropped the ball on a LOT of stuff in the Rebirth run

Hopefully he and the rest are looking at an upswing with Clooney and Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'd rank 'em (from worst to... least worst):

1. Egg Fu - racist **** like this just shouldn't fly, and the fact that he hasn't been left in limbo and continues to appear is really troubling.

2. Jason - The idea of a male Wonder is great, but the execution is atrocious with the outdated "long lost twin" trope. A younger brother would've been better, but they felt they need to put him on equal footing with Diana for reasons that I can only imagine are misogynistic.

3. Maxwell Lord - I hate anytime creators or DC shoehorns characters in our faces. We get it, she snapped his neck. Move on.

4. First Born - He wouldn't have been so bad if we didn't have to sit through a year or more of a storyline. A character who bangs hyenas is gross and not suitable for the Wonderverse.

5. Liar Liar - Generic as hell.

6. Zola - A plot device, not a character.

7. Eirene - I'm not a huge Azzarello fan but for Finch to come along and completely undo any of the story elements that he had used, such as the deaths of Ares and Apollo (both pivotal plot points), it's just... bad all around. Eirene suddenly being a villain because Ares is dead just didn't do it for me.

8. Grail - Suffers the same issue as Max Lord except Grail is, I guess, somewhat cooler. Still, why all these relatives of villains who just appear out of nowhere? Any time she appears I just roll my eyes because I know it'll be a bad story.

9. Tolifhar - I'm not really sure what it was... I really despised the gorillas in Gail's run. When I eventually reread it, I may find some newfound appreciation for them, but damn I really hated them.

10. Aleka - Creating a brand new amazon who looks and (kinda) acts like Artemis is just.... mind-boggling. Same with Dessa for Philippus. But Aleka was more egregious because she was just so grating to read.

The Dark Gods were meh, but I can't say I have any strong feelings about any of them.

I actually liked the idea of Derinoe, and I find her to be the least awful of the Finch run, but she's still not a great addition.

Genocide would've been on my list but I kinda liked what Orlando did with her.

It's been too long since I read an issue with I-Ching, and I see the problematic elements of the character but I'll reserve judgment til I read that era again.
    Hmm, I can't say I had any particular dislike for Tolifhar or the other apes in Simone's run. I wouldn't exactly yearn form them back but I didn't find them particularly annoying.

Then again, I was rooting for Kong when I watched GvK on HBO Max so I maybe I just like fictional gorillas.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Jason.
    The mythological background gives Jason reason to exist. Is he used well? that is a very different question.
    I don't hate Max Lord, I just hate how he became a Wonder Woman villain.
    Yeah.... he literally forces WW to kill him... why? It was essentially the same as "suicide-by-cop", but to what end?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Then again, I was rooting for Kong when I watched GvK on HBO Max so I maybe I just like fictional gorillas.
    If you know why he's called "MechaG" then you know why I was like "YES!!!! Get both of them!!!"
    Last edited by marhawkman; 04-11-2021 at 04:31 PM.

There has been a few alternate takes on Egg-Fu. I feel like he can be redeemed as a character.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I went with Zola. She was a boring, plot-device that took up way more page time than she was worth.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Robert Kanigher as he included himself in the comic.

Amazing Member

My least favorite is Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    1. Egg Fu - racist **** like this just shouldn't fly, and the fact that he hasn't been left in limbo and continues to appear is really troubling.
    I like Egg Fu.

He’s a dated WWII caricature villain yeah, but it’s not like these characters can’t still be viable.
    DC’s other “yellow peril” villain Dragon King recently had a great live action turn on CW’s Stargirl.

Comics is full of caricatures. Evil Asians, dirty Nazis, Hispanic drug lords and dictators, militant black ppl...Southern racists and Rednecks, rich connected white politicians and millionaires.

-shrug-

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Comics is full of caricatures. Evil Asians, dirty Nazis, Hispanic drug lords and dictators, militant black ppl...Southern racists and Rednecks, rich connected white politicians and millionaires.
    Yeah, and all of them have real-world examples behind them. Caricatures aren't inherently bad. They exist as a short cut in telling a story. "Negative" tropes exist for every aspect of humanity... every single one... without exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I like Egg Fu.

He’s a dated WWII caricature villain yeah, but it’s not like these characters can’t still be viable.
    DC’s other “yellow peril” villain Dragon King recently had a great live action turn on CW’s Stargirl.

-shrug-
    Comics being full of these things isn't necessarily a good thing, and not all are on equal terms. Rich white billionaires? They have all the power so it's not like any bad stereotypes harm them. Evil Asians now, especially in light of recent events with anti-Asian hate crimes, is nothing we need to give panel time to. Dr. Poison is also a "Yellow Peril" character, but in comparison she surprisingly avoided a lot of the worst stereotypes in the Golden Age which is why she is still viable today and can be removed from the WWII setting. Egg-Fu's entire punch line is that he's Chinese and can't not be dated.

At best, we'd need to go the route of the Batman the Brave and the Bold comic. Which used the Chang Tzu design, but named him Y'ggphu-Soggoth and made him an eldritch abomination from another dimension. All Chinese connections were removed.

I didn't hate her but Vanessa got on my nerves. That's partly why when she was made the Silver Swan the latest time I didn't even blink when almost everyone else was up in arms about it.

Zola on the other hand I hated with the intensity of a thousand suns. Nothing about her was likeable to me, especially not those cheap Wal-Mart looking clothes she wore. I can forgive a lot but bad taste in fashion is simply unacceptable.

If I ever met Mike Schorr in person I'd probably punch him in the face. He was everything about a stereotypical cop I don't like. Plus it didn't sit well with me that he was basically a replacement for Ed Indelicato who I still think is pretty cool.

Achilles Warkiller was soft, gullible and sort of stupid. How he didn't see Alkyone coming from a mile away I'll never understand. He needed to grow a pair because that was something Zeus certainly didn't give him upon his creation.

Speaking of Zeus he'll always be the sleazy guy that tried to rape Diana all the while thinking he was doing her a favor. Add to that being retroactively turned into her father makes my skin crawl.

There's more I want to say but I can't seem to work up the necessary venom right now, maybe I'll revisit this thread later.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, and all of them have real-world examples behind them. Caricatures aren't inherently bad. They exist as a short cut in telling a story. "Negative" tropes exist for every aspect of humanity... every single one... without exception.
    Idk, there's world of difference between Evil Asian/Yellow Peril caricatures and Nazi caricatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I didn't hate her but Vanessa got on my nerves. That's partly why when she was made the Silver Swan the latest time I didn't even blink when almost everyone else was up in arms about it.

Zola on the other hand I hated with the intensity of a thousand suns. Nothing about her was likeable to me, especially not those cheap Wal-Mart looking clothes she wore. I can forgive a lot but bad taste in fashion is simply unacceptable.

If I ever met Mike Schorr in person I'd probably punch him in the face. He was everything about a stereotypical cop I don't like. Plus it didn't sit well with me that he was basically a replacement for Ed Indelicato who I still think is pretty cool.

Achilles Warkiller was soft, gullible and sort of stupid. How he didn't see Alkyone coming from a mile away I'll never understand. He needed to grow a pair because that was something Zeus certainly didn't give him upon his creation.

Speaking of Zeus he'll always be the sleazy guy that tried to rape Diana all the while thinking he was doing her a favor. Add to that being retroactively turned into her father makes my skin crawl.

There's more I want to say but I can't seem to work up the necessary venom right now, maybe I'll revisit this thread later.
    Zeus is definitely the worst character. But he's public domain and they were writing him in accordance to how he is usually depicted in Greek mythology, which is a creepy, paranoid, abusive, pervert. So if Zeus is going to be a character with speaking lines in a story, he should be the worst.

I'm really sick of seeing Zeus in any capacity: ally, enemy, father, etc.

With the exception of whatever he's used for in Historia, I could do with no more panel time being spent on him