View Poll Results: Who's your LEAST favorite WW character?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aleka

0 0%
  • The Dark Gods

0 0%
  • Derinoe

0 0%
  • Egg Fu

6 11.76%
  • Eirene (the god, not the minotaur)

0 0%
  • First Born

4 7.84%
  • Genocide

2 3.92%
  • Grail

2 3.92%
  • I-Ching

0 0%
  • Jason

10 19.61%
  • Liar Liar

8 15.69%
  • Maxwell Lord

6 11.76%
  • Tolifhar & the Gorilla Knights

1 1.96%
  • Zola

1 1.96%
  • OTHER

11 21.57%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

There are enough articles and resources available on the internet which explains racist caricatures made of Asians. Look it up. Maybe then you will realize why the colour yellow is considered offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Because look at him?

Um.... I see "Asian supervillain" and nothing more.

The L-R thing is common to Japanese because the Japanese language doesn't HAVE separate L and R sounds. It creates a unique accent.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The yellow skin, the Fu Manchu moustache, and him saying "Amelicans" proves my point for me
    Does it though? Those all fit into the category of "Asian stereotype"... how is it racist? Or are you trying to define the mere use of tropes as racism?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Um.... I see "Asian supervillain" and nothing more.

The L-R thing is common to Japanese because the Japanese language doesn't HAVE separate L and R sounds. It creates a unique accent. Does it though? Those all fit into the category of "Asian stereotype"... how is it racist? Or are you trying to define the mere use of tropes as racism?
    You have to be joking.

Tropes like this used in this way exist for racist or prejudiced reasons. It's to create a dehumanizing caricature of an "other." ("oriental cunning.")Ask any Asian person what they think of this, odds are very high it will not be a positive reaction.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-12-2021 at 07:41 PM.

From a creative standpoint of working with the characters, I find Liar Liar and Jason wholly uninteresting to develop further or use again.

Genocide and Devastation somewhat bore me as characters, although I’m more interested in figuring out ways to use the latter than the former.

Magala as a stereotypical “crone” and bitter amongst the depictions of the other Amazons has never sat with me well. I update her character.

The Dark Gods aren’t that interesting or developed and seemed superfluous.

I’m annoyed that Maxwell Lord has seemingly taken Doctor Psycho’s place in the ranks of the Wonder foes, but I can creatively see space for both of them in the ranks of her adversaries.

My mouth is agape at people actually defending Egg Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Because look at him?

Humpty Dumpty is a Wonder Woman villain? Huh, I guess you do learn something new every day.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    My mouth is agape at people actually defending Egg Fu.
    Damn, I think he's cool, the above design anyhow. I might have a new favorite Wonder Woman villain Evil Humpty Dumpty rules. Just look at him he's a big 'ol egg with a face!
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-12-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I have never read an issue with Egg Foo, and am now mortified at it. I want to change my vote.

You know, the fact I actively avoid reading any comics with him in it makes him my least favorite too...not that it's hard since I don't read much Kanigher to begin with. I just don't think of Egg Fu when I think of WW characters.

I wanna change my vote too.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-13-2021 at 03:19 AM.

It's always funny to me to watch
    people try to justify and defend racism. It's even more hilarious when they pretend like they don't see it or try to equvocate. "Well the evil Asians don't have it as bad as the poor Nazis who are always getting picked on" is how I read one of the above comments. It's no wonder why racism is still so large a problem in 2021, people try to deny its existence.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-13-2021 at 06:29 AM.

Anyway, my least favorite is Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    people try to justify and defend racism. It's even more hilarious when they pretend like they don't see it or try to equvocate. "Well the evil Asians don't have it as bad as the poor Nazis who are always getting picked on" is how I read one of the above comments. It's no wonder why racism is still so large a problem in 2021, people try to deny its existence.
    Are you perhaps projecting? Sorry, but I have to ask. Hey, I'm partially East Asian (I hate when people say "Asian" because South Asians are a distinct ethnic group from East Asians) and I find a huge anthropomorphic egg to be funny at face value. Was the early stuff racist, no doubt. But, every group is racist to some degree whether they want to admit it or not (I can attest, many East Asians hate Subsaharan Africans or "Blacks" as much or more than any "cracker" from the Deep South). If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-13-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I never tried to justify/defend racism, or even deny its existence.

I just think not everything needs to be looked at through SJW colored glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I like Egg Fu.

He’s a dated WWII caricature villain yeah, but it’s not like these characters can’t still be viable.
    DC’s other “yellow peril” villain Dragon King recently had a great live action turn on CW’s Stargirl.

Comics is full of caricatures. Evil Asians, dirty Nazis, Hispanic drug lords and dictators, militant black ppl...Southern racists and Rednecks, rich connected white politicians and millionaires.

-shrug-
    Actually he's Cold War. China fought Japan in WWII and was an ally of the U.S.A.

(Sorry that has nothing to do with the thread, but I wanted to clear that up. History is important.)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I never tried to justify/defend racism, or even deny its existence.

I just think not everything needs to be looked at through SJW colored glasses.
    I don't always think things need to be picked apart through an SJW lens either, but this one is kind of so OTT that you don't need to be a hardcore SJW to see the red flags on this one.