View Poll Results: Who's your LEAST favorite WW character?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aleka

0 0%
  • The Dark Gods

0 0%
  • Derinoe

0 0%
  • Egg Fu

6 11.76%
  • Eirene (the god, not the minotaur)

0 0%
  • First Born

4 7.84%
  • Genocide

2 3.92%
  • Grail

2 3.92%
  • I-Ching

0 0%
  • Jason

10 19.61%
  • Liar Liar

8 15.69%
  • Maxwell Lord

6 11.76%
  • Tolifhar & the Gorilla Knights

1 1.96%
  • Zola

1 1.96%
  • OTHER

11 21.57%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, and all of them have real-world examples behind them. Caricatures aren't inherently bad. They exist as a short cut in telling a story. "Negative" tropes exist for every aspect of humanity... every single one... without exception.
    ^^^thanks for understanding what I was trying to get at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Idk, there's world of difference between Evil Asian/Yellow Peril caricatures and Nazi caricatures.
    ^^^Well, one difference is Germans are still seeing Nazis and Naziism plastered all over the place, whether as entertainment or on the news as the ideology is taken up by different factions.
    Not saying the evil Asian trope ISNT seen, but there’s really no comparison to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm really sick of seeing Zeus in any capacity: ally, enemy, father, etc.

With the exception of whatever he's used for in Historia, I could do with no more panel time being spent on him
    Oof, yeah. It's salt on the wounds for me every time they have Diana get called or call herself "daughter of Zeus".

I'm really sick of seeing Zeus in any capacity: ally, enemy, father, etc.

With the exception of whatever he's used for in Historia, I could do with no more panel time being spent on him
    Zeus is dead right now and I hope he stays that way.

I picked Jason. Honestly, I feel like all of the other characters have potential with a good writer, EXCEPT Jason. I found him unnecessary from the get-go, and I really hope he remains in ill-conceived comic book character limbo.

I don't "hate" Max Lord, I used to read back issues of JLI quite often, I just don't see him as a Wonder Woman villain, and I do wish he'd stop getting ahoehorned in as one...
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Idk, there's world of difference between Evil Asian/Yellow Peril caricatures and Nazi caricatures.
    Is there? Both were inspired by "serve me or die" dictators. What about: Emperor Hirohito(only world leader to actually get nuked in a war)? Chairman Mao Zedong(around 60 million deaths caused by his regime)? Trần Văn Trà(one of the reasons the Vietnam war was so bloody)? All of them were reviled for good reason.

See: you said "Evil Asian/Yellow peril"... those aren't actually the same trope. Yellow Peril? That's specific to guys like Mao Zedong who are either tyrants or want to be. "Evil Asian"... is so vague it isn't even a stereotype.

What you're actually lamenting here is where tropes get applied incorrectly.

Just Zeus is fine, but daddy Zeus might be the worst addition to the WW mythos ever. Then Max Lord, then Jason, then Grail. Anything thought up by Johns, really.

Mighty Member

Jason, followed by the Wonder Woman in Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity who is just a straight up insult to the character. I don't dislike all iterations of Maxwell Lord, and typically just pretend Egg Fu don't exists, but Zeus has often also a rather negative influence on Wonder Woman comics.

Jason - hands down. Quite easily one of the worst ideas ever introduced into WW’s world!

Honestly, I’m pretty ambivalent to most of the other choices & I’ve completely forgotten some of the others.

I kinda like the Gorilla Knights in small doses and I think I’m one of the few folks that doesn’t mind Max Lord as a WW villain

Is there? Both were inspired by "serve me or die" dictators. What about: Emperor Hirohito(only world leader to actually get nuked in a war)? Chairman Mao Zedong(around 60 million deaths caused by his regime)? Trần Văn Trà(one of the reasons the Vietnam war was so bloody)? All of them were reviled for good reason.

See: you said "Evil Asian/Yellow peril"... those aren't actually the same trope. Yellow Peril? That's specific to guys like Mao Zedong who are either tyrants or want to be. "Evil Asian"... is so vague it isn't even a stereotype.

What you're actually lamenting here is where tropes get applied incorrectly.
    Egg Fu is absolutely a Yellow Peril character. Hell, he's literally yellow.

It’s really pretty gross that this list includes a character created out of racism and not only did that character not get all the votes, but people are actually on here defending not being bothered by the character. SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Egg Fu is absolutely a Yellow Peril character. Hell, he's literally yellow.
    Ok... how does being colored yellow count as racist? Are you really trying to say Asian characters can't be colored yellow?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ok... how does being colored yellow count as racist? Are you really trying to say Asian characters can't be colored yellow?
    Inhuman and yellow?

yeah, there is a looooong history if racist caricatures of Asians involving the color yellow. Egg-Fu's entire purpose is to be a racist jab against Asians, there is no valid serious defense of him.

Egg-Fu's entire purpose is to be a racist jab against Asians,
    Ok... you still haven't explained why you consider this to be proven fact.

Because look at him?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The yellow skin, the Fu Manchu moustache, and him saying "Amelicans" proves my point for me