View Poll Results: Who's your LEAST favorite WW character?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aleka

0 0%
  • The Dark Gods

0 0%
  • Derinoe

0 0%
  • Egg Fu

6 11.76%
  • Eirene (the god, not the minotaur)

0 0%
  • First Born

4 7.84%
  • Genocide

2 3.92%
  • Grail

2 3.92%
  • I-Ching

0 0%
  • Jason

10 19.61%
  • Liar Liar

8 15.69%
  • Maxwell Lord

6 11.76%
  • Tolifhar & the Gorilla Knights

1 1.96%
  • Zola

1 1.96%
  • OTHER

11 21.57%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Are you perhaps projecting? Sorry, but I have to ask. Hey, I'm partially East Asian (I hate when people say "Asian" because South Asians are a distinct ethnic group from East Asians) and I find a huge anthropomorphic egg to be funny at face value. Was the early stuff racist, no doubt. But, every group is racist to some degree whether they want to admit it or not (I can attest, many East Asians hate Subsaharan Africans or "Blacks" as much or more than any "cracker" from the Deep South). If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?
    Don't give me that every group is racist to some degree nonsense. That's what people say to defend their own bad behavior. Prejudice and racism are not the same thing. Racism is systemic and has policies, procedures and most importantly the power to back it up. Law enforcement's ability to murder unarmed civilians and Georgia's new voting law is the kind of power I'm talking about and there's absolutely nothing funny about it.

Egg Fu is such a ridiculous character it's hard to imagine that any Chinese person can be seriously offended by him. I'm half-Asian myself and he doesn't evoke any strong emotions in me other than amusement. And it's not like he was created yesterday, he's a relic of the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Don't give me that every group is racist to some degree nonsense. That's what people say to defend their own bad behavior. Prejudice and racism are not the same thing. Racism is systemic and has policies, procedures and most importantly the power to back it up. Law enforcement's ability to murder unarmed civilians and Georgia's new voting law is the kind of power I'm talking about and there's absolutely nothing funny about it.
    I'm a sociologist and it is true. You might not want it to be true but it is observable (e.g. tested) truth regardless of what you believe. The people who claim prejudice and racism are not the same things are, frankly, uneducated or ill-informed if you prefer: you need an egg to make a chicken is an apt analogy. It is simply a matter of degree rather than two separate phenomena. It is an accepted scientific fact.

Also, race is a social construct rather than a biological category. There are ethnic groupings but no true biological racial categories (e.g. a subspecies). The same thing goes for gender versus biological sex.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-13-2021 at 12:34 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ok guys, I think maybe we should consider that just because one person might not find a character offensive doesn't mean that others won't. Especially when said character was created due to ignorance for the purpose of demonizing an ethic group and culture (xenophobia).

(Also, it should be pointed out that the "I am the same ethnicity and it doesn't offend me" card holds zero weight on the internet when we are all anonymous.)

But anyways, lets talk about Jason. Dude threw a party in Diana's house like a tool, and then lost to Silver Swan twice! And the gods still give him some cool armor?! WHYYYYYYyyyyy......

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Egg Fu is such a ridiculous character it's hard to imagine that any Chinese person can be seriously offended by him. I'm half-Asian myself and he doesn't evoke any strong emotions in me other than amusement. And it's not like he was created yesterday, he's a relic of the 60's.
    My feelings exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Ok guys, I think maybe we should consider that just because one person might not find a character offensive doesn't mean that others won't. Especially when said character was created due to ignorance for the purpose of demonizing an ethic group and culture (xenophobia).

(Also, it should be pointed out that the "I am the same ethnicity and it doesn't offend me" card holds zero weight on the internet when we are all anonymous.)

But anyways, lets talk about Jason. Dude threw a party in Diana's house like a tool, and then lost to Silver Swan twice! And the gods still give him some cool armor?! WHYYYYYYyyyyy......
    You are corrected. This thread is in serious danger of getting derailed, moving on.

I don't mind Egg-Fu because his design has changed over the years and theres a place for eggs in Wonder Woman because eggs - ovaries - birth - rebirth

Talking more about him, he somehow reminds me of the anime Classroom Assassination lol

Last edited by Mutant God; 04-13-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I don't mind Egg-Fu because his design has changed over the years and theres a place for eggs in Wonder Woman because eggs - ovaries - birth - rebirth
    By that logic can we please, oh please, have Superman fight a giant sperm.

By that logic can we please, oh please, have Superman fight a giant sperm.
    I don't see the connection

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I don't see the connection
    You claim there is a place for eggs in Wonder Woman and referenced a connection between eggs, ovaries and birth. A human woman's ovaries contain ovum (a.k.a. egg cells), and the male equivalent of ovaries are testicle which contain sperm.

Both eggs and sperm are necessary parts or reproduction or "birth", so by the logic you used to connect eggs to Wonder Woman (or any female character, really), the same logic can be used to apply sperm to Superman (or any male character as well).

eggs-ovaries-birth

sperm-testicle-birth

You claim there is a place for eggs in Wonder Woman and referenced a connection between eggs, ovaries and birth. A human woman's ovaries contain ovum (a.k.a. egg cells), and the male equivalent of ovaries are testicle which contain sperm.

Both eggs and sperm are necessary parts or reproduction or "birth", so by the logic you used to connect eggs to Wonder Woman (or any female character, really), the same logic can be used to apply sperm to Superman (or any male character as well).
    I meant Wonder Woman stories sometimes have a theme of femininity or womanhood in them so I think an egg looking villain obsess with creating stuff (Freudian in a way) seems like a good gimmick to me. But if you can create a cool Superman villain base on a sperm then I'll support it lol.

We are dealing with a rise in hate crimes against East Asians today because some people can't tell the difference between a virus and person who happens to be from a certain culture/background.

Egg-Fu as he was originally conceived is a racial caricature. Can he be reclaimed and modified? Yes. But we are not there yet. The character is a caricature. Stereotypes shape perception and those perceptions can translate to real harm to real people and real life. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by john venus View Post
    we are dealing with a rise in hate crimes against east asians today because some people can't tell the difference between a virus and person who happens to be from a certain culture/background.

Egg-fu as he was originally conceived is a racial caricature. Can he be reclaimed and modified? Yes. But we are not there yet. The character is a caricature. Stereotypes shape perception and those perceptions can translate to real harm to real people and real life. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
    delete post
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-13-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    We are dealing with a rise in hate crimes against East Asians today because some people can't tell the difference between a virus and person who happens to be from a certain culture/background.

Egg-Fu as he was originally conceived is a racial caricature. Can he be reclaimed and modified? Yes. But we are not there yet. The character is a caricature. Stereotypes shape perception and those perceptions can translate to real harm to real people and real life. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
    I'd argue that characters like Dr Psycho and Chuma are potentially far more harmful than complete jokes like Egg Fu.

Steve Trevor, as is and as he's always been, is holding this comic AND its leading lady, back, in so many ways. He is my least favorite character and should have been gone in 1986.

And I'm tired of writers dropping characters, from outside of the WW comic and created for use somewhere else, ..into the WW comic. That's Maxwell Lord, Tom Tresser, Sting, that Teletubbie with the purse...sick of all of them!

Every time some editors let Celeb Writer X do that, it's like saying, "Wonder Woman characters are $#*+, ..and we don't know what in Hades to do with any of them. We give up." The WW comic has characters, who are LGBTQA, mind-controlling jerks, blonde people; so, yeah--Maxiebaby and everything he represents, editorially, is entirely unnecessary. Hate 'im, in the comic, in the movie...on an Invisible Plane! That said, as much as I hate and tire of him, I know that Steve Trevor continues the most editorially and artistically debilitating thing to the growth and success of this comic.

Steve Trevor is a narrative tapeworm, and he needs to be cut out and fed to a bloody kraken. Go away, Steve-O.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-15-2021 at 04:55 AM. Reason: good taste, sensitivity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!