View Poll Results: Who's your LEAST favorite WW character?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aleka

0 0%
  • The Dark Gods

0 0%
  • Derinoe

0 0%
  • Egg Fu

6 11.76%
  • Eirene (the god, not the minotaur)

0 0%
  • First Born

4 7.84%
  • Genocide

2 3.92%
  • Grail

2 3.92%
  • I-Ching

0 0%
  • Jason

10 19.61%
  • Liar Liar

8 15.69%
  • Maxwell Lord

6 11.76%
  • Tolifhar & the Gorilla Knights

1 1.96%
  • Zola

1 1.96%
  • OTHER

11 21.57%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    We are dealing with a rise in hate crimes against East Asians today because some people can't tell the difference between a virus and person who happens to be from a certain culture/background.

Egg-Fu as he was originally conceived is a racial caricature. Can he be reclaimed and modified? Yes. But we are not there yet. The character is a caricature. Stereotypes shape perception and those perceptions can translate to real harm to real people and real life. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
    the problem with this logic is that it applies equally to every Asian or Asian themed supervillain and has absolutely nothing to do with Egg Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm a sociologist and it is true. You might not want it to be true but it is observable (e.g. tested) truth regardless of what you believe. The people who claim prejudice and racism are not the same things are, frankly, uneducated or ill-informed if you prefer: you need an egg to make a chicken is an apt analogy. It is simply a matter of degree rather than two separate phenomena. It is an accepted scientific fact.

Also, race is a social construct rather than a biological category. There are ethnic groupings but no true biological racial categories (e.g. a subspecies). The same thing goes for gender versus biological sex.
    It's nice to see Imaginary University is still handing out internet degrees. On the next thread I might want to be a botanist or something, I don't know?

As for prejudice and racism, I can be prejudiced against men who wear white sneakers with black socks but that doesn't enable me to enact policies against them to impede their lives financially, limit their rights or cause their physical endangerment. All racists are prejudiced but not all people with prejudices are racist. They're not the same thing.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-14-2021 at 11:03 AM.

There's a lot of good conversations being had here, but remember to keep it civil. And please, for the love of Aphrodite, don't use "cancer" to describe a comic book character.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I’m annoyed that Maxwell Lord has seemingly taken Doctor Psycho’s place in the ranks of the Wonder foes, but I can creatively see space for both of them in the ranks of her adversaries.
    They are very different characters who actually have very little in common other than a similarity in powers.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It's nice to see Imaginary University is still handing out internet degrees. On the next thread I might want to be a botanist or something, I don't know?....
    Thank you for a good laugh.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-14-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    They are very different characters who actually have very little in common other than a similarity in powers.
    As an aside, Doctor Psycho in Harley Quinn the Animated Series rules. I love how they've handled his character. Before Harley Quinn, he was a non-entity as far as I was concerned now he's one of my favorites.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'd rate the characters on the list from least tolerable to most tolerable:

Zola
    Gorilla Knights
    First Born
    Aleka
    Derinoe
    Eirene
    Liar Liar
    I-Ching
    Dark Gods
    Jason
    Genocide(Orlando redeemed her IMO)
    Maxwell Lord
    Egg Fu(The New 52 & Harley Quinn versions are fun)
    Grail(I really like her - sorry!)
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

Zola
    Gorilla Knights
    First Born
    Aleka
    Derinoe
    Eirene
    Liar Liar
    I-Ching
    Dark Gods
    Jason
    Maxwell Lord
    You don't need to apologize, lol. I feel frustrated with her because she's got potential but it's clear the writers don't know what to do with her.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Liar Liar, as the distaste in my mouth is most recent...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    You don't need to apologize, lol. I feel frustrated with her because she's got potential but it's clear the writers don't know what to do with her.
    Agreed, Grail is a very interesting character concept. Some of the stories have been bad? but the idea of the character is a sound concept. I'd personally like her better if a few small changes were made, but as-is she's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Agreed, Grail is a very interesting character concept. Some of the stories have been bad? but the idea of the character is a sound concept. I'd personally like her better if a few small changes were made, but as-is she's fine.
    I agree with you (on all counts). Grail is a sound concept that suffered from poor (very poor, IMO) execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

Zola
    Gorilla Knights
    First Born
    Aleka
    Derinoe
    Eirene
    Liar Liar
    I-Ching
    Dark Gods
    Jason
    Maxwell Lord
    Hmm, ranking the characters I've read from worst to least worst.

Max Lord
    Jason
    Liar Liar
    Aleka (mainly just for being a less interesting Artemis than anything else)
    Dark Gods (just boring)
    Grail/First Born (either could work under the right writer but I don't mind them chilling in comics purgatory for a while)

Never read anything with Egg-Fu, I-Ching, Eirene, Derinoe.

Rest I'm either fine or indifferent too.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-14-2021 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    There's a lot of good conversations being had here, but remember to keep it civil. And please, for the love of Aphrodite, don't use "cancer" to describe a comic book character.
    Just changed my comments to describe Steve Trevor, as a "narrative tapeworm", which he most certainly is.

We just lost my cousin to cancer, Monday morning. There are no light moments, for families living with and surviving cancer. Thanks for the encouragement to be more sensitive, Nysanne...very timely, indeed.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Just changed my comments to describe Steve Trevor, as a "narrative tapeworm", which he most certainly is.

We just lost my cousin to cancer, Monday morning. There are no light moments, for families living with and surviving cancer. Thanks for the encouragement to be more sensitive, Nysanne...very timely, indeed.
    I'm so sorry Mel Dyer.

I have had both friends and family affected and taken away by cancer as well. Sadly, such things are not uncommon, but with the advancement of medical care, hopefully one day it will become something no-one need go through again.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-15-2021 at 06:22 AM.

Indeed, no one should get so bothered by a character they use terrible terms to describe that character, or personally insult other people who like that character or don't see the problem with it. I dislike Jason and Steve, for example, but at the end of the day, they are simply fictional characters and not worth getting so worked up over.