Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I hate shared universes

In comics, in tv, in movies, in everything. Why is everyone so obsessed with everything having to connect to everything else?

DC could have had so many movies out by now for all their main characters in their own universe. But no we have to wait so long cause we have to keep starting over and build a foundation first and then have everything slowly sprawl from that. Cavill should be on his 4th Superman solo movie by now. Aquaman trilogy should also be in the books by now.

I cant just sit down and read an entire Supergirl series from any era cause its injected with so much bull **** from "events" that I have to put the comic down and pick up my phone to access Wikimedia to find out what's going on every other issue. Wait what??? Why is Supergirl and Powergirl stuck on Candor all of a sudden? What does this have to do with anything??????

Ok I'm calm now. I'm surprised Rambo Terminator and Die Hard hasn't been retconned to exist in same universe.

Agreed. Used to I was with everyone else, thinking the shared universe was a neat-o concept. 20 to 30 MCU movies in, 10-ish DCEU movies in, 2 to 3 failed "Dark Universe" reboots in, one sucky DCAMU in and a second starting up, 4 Monsterverse movies in, Star Wars expanding and expanding in, it's just like "enough already!" One shared universe is fine. Maybe two is fine. A shared universe that stretches for like a decade is kind of fine. But this is just too much already! There can only be one MCU alright, and we got it already! That is enough for everyone! And besides, the shared universe really is limiting, great for team up movies but restraining on what the solo films can do. And frankly, I've gotten over the need to see all my favorite heroes having to crossover and team up. We could go a decade without another crossover and I'd be fine with it. It needs to be given a break, or it stops being special.

All that said - why is this thread in the DC section specifically?

It's a cool gimmick but it can outstay its welcome. I just stopped taking it seriously and just read the comics I was interested in.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Some of my favorite comics and stories are standalone. Everything in it serves the story alone, and the characters' impact on the world around them isn't at all confined by the existence of anyone else.

That said, some of my favorite comics and stories involve long-lasting relationships. Friendships, romances, rivalries - those come with time and overlapping world-building. When heroes pair up and relate to each other, or experience each other's contexts with new perspectives, it creates tons of potential.

I get the fatigue, but there's a way to have the best of both worlds. It just requires a level of planning that WB isn't interested in and DC Editorial has struggled with given the obstacles and oddities of the direct market.

Ultimate Member

Personally, I like it. It makes the universe seem bigger and more expansive. The problem comes when the individual characters don't get fleshed out enough.

But hasn't this been a thing for over 60 years in comics?

Do WE live in a shared universe?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

The Teen Titans.
    The JSA.
    Booster & Ted Kord.
    Clark & Bruce.
    Barry and Ralph/Hal & Ollie and Dinah.
    Ray and Carter.
    Wally and Dick/Kyle.

A DCU where those relationships didn't exist is poorer.

I think a bigger obstacle to a more fluid movie schedule is having to go through origins all the time. I think the next time they launch a Justice League movie, they should just launch it with a brand new cast right away. People are familiar enough with the characters at this point to just accept a universe in which superheroes and super-villains exist. The DCAU established their new JL team in an hour with "Secret Origins", a 2-hour movie should be able to introduce them as already existing team members without much trouble. Split them up in groups and let their personalities bounce off of each other from the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But hasn't this been a thing for over 60 years in comics?
    Yes. But problem is only the comics were shared universes. And those two shared universe were "loose" on continuity for the majority of those decades with a rotating audience of kids.

Now with many shared universes across media and an emphasis on continuity aimed at an older audience? It's kind of a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Do WE live in a shared universe?
    Yes. What does that have to do with anything here though? We can't fly our punch out holes in buildings yet comics don't reflect that reality.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I hate it because they can't keep things consistent
    When they can I like it

Ultimate Member

Ok. I think it's only a problem with characters like Universal monsters who don't really fit in each other's universes. Whereas with DC and Marvel, I think having characters team up and then go off on their own makes it more interesting.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

When done right they allow your characters to grow, go through different scenarios, interact with different characters. That's what makes the Marvel films fun. That's part of what made the DCAU fun, part of what made the Arrowverse appealing (though its just a mess now).

All these DC movies arent exactly connecting to one another now. They were spun from BvS but the connections to them are loose.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    When done right they allow your characters to grow, go through different scenarios, interact with different characters. That's what makes the Marvel films fun. That's part of what made the DCAU fun, part of what made the Arrowverse appealing (though its just a mess now).

All these DC movies arent exactly connecting to one another now. They were spun from BvS but the connections to them are loose.
    I think the main thing is for each individual sub franchise to have its own identity and not get too bogged down in setting everything else up, while also not contradicting continuity. Too much set up can detract from expanding on the individual characters

Then go read some indie books....that’s not me being dismissive, I genuinely mean that if you aren’t happy in a shared universe of comics that there is a wide variety of creator owned comics from various publishers that are entertaining, your image comics, your boom studios, aftershock, and etc. They may not have Batman or anything but you’ll get some genuinely good stories.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. I think it's only a problem with characters like Universal monsters who don't really fit in each other's universes. Whereas with DC and Marvel, I think having characters team up and then go off on their own makes it more interesting.
    The classic Universal monster mash ups from the 1940s beg to differ.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The classic Universal monster mash ups from the 1940s beg to differ.
    I've watched those. IMO the monsters never actually did a lot with each other. In one of them, Dracula never even meets the other two.