Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roy Harper

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Good to hear, Captain Nostalgia. Also, lets hope Lian will be along for the ride

I'm also hoping they bring Lian back and reunite them.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Well... not only Checkmate is the kind of property Bendis is good with, Roy is also his kind of character. I hadn't even thought about it before you said it, but yeah... I do want to see that!
    I think Bendis could do well with a Roy solo or miniseries but his spy fiction leaves much to be desired.

I like Roy but was really hoping he'd stay dead for a bit longer. Why? I don't really feel like he adds much to any team or story he's in. He doesn't check off any boxes. To me, Roy needs some sort of role.
    Last edited by atomicskull; 04-17-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Roy is any writer’s that is willing to write him kind of character. Beggars can’t be choosers.
    So, you'd be okay with Tom King having another whack at him?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I'm also hoping they bring Lian back and reunite them.
    I have a small hope that since Lian is on one of the covers for Flash 771 that it means Wally is going to bring her back.

Incredible Member

DC should branch out Green Arrow based on the types of arrows that they chose as a weapon. Like virtual/invisible arrows or arrows made of fire as hot as the sun. That way each Arrow member can have a role to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, you'd be okay with Tom King having another whack at him?
    Id rather he stay dead honestly, but ya when the options are that or nothing. You take what you can get. Especially when it comes to big name writers. In no world is a character like Roy too good for writers like Bendis or King.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I like Roy but was really hoping he'd stay dead for a bit longer. Why? I don't really feel like he adds much to any team or story he's in. He doesn't check off any boxes. To me, Roy needs some sort of role.

He has the ex-junkie and single father thing going for him but those elements don't work when continuity has been in flux for more than a decade. He is also in a morally gray area compared to other side kick characters. This was a guy who easily moved from hanging with the Titans to working with the Suicide Squad to Titans again to joining the Justice League. He's also not out of place working with the Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Roy might benefit from a writer who wants to explore the morally gray area that he inhabits. Though in the long run, I would like to see a writer explore a world in which his daughter grew up and became a superhero.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    He has the ex-junkie and single father thing going for him but those elements don't work when continuity has been in flux for more than a decade. He is also in a morally gray area compared to other side kick characters. This was a guy who easily moved from hanging with the Titans to working with the Suicide Squad to Titans again to joining the Justice League. He's also not out of place working with the Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Roy might benefit from a writer who wants to explore the morally gray area that he inhabits. Though in the long run, I would like to see a writer explore a world in which his daughter grew up and became a superhero.
    That's why I think him rejoining Checkmate would be a great fit!
    He would be operating in that grey area, but would also be brushing against the superhero community from time to time. Sometimes at cross purposes with those he considers friends.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

From Infinite Frontier #0:

Not to distract from the Roy discussion, but the parts with Ollie and Dinah are why I prefer Dinah to be far, far away from Ollie. The Dinah I read about in Birds of Prey was a kickass heroine who neither needed to be in a relationship nor was defined by one. Every time I see her with Ollie, she is at best defined by being Ollie's girlfriend, or at worst, serves as little more than his living sex doll. One's a character in her own right, the other is nothing more three or four generations' idea of a fantasy girlfriend who exists only to be a fantasy girlfriend.

If this were reddit, I'd be getting nothing but down votes, but I stand by what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Not to distract from the Roy discussion, but the parts with Ollie and Dinah are why I prefer Dinah to be far, far away from Ollie. The Dinah I read about in Birds of Prey was a kickass heroine who neither needed to be in a relationship nor was defined by one. Every time I see her with Ollie, she is at best defined by being Ollie's girlfriend, or at worst, serves as little more than his living sex doll. One's a character in her own right, the other is nothing more three or four generations' idea of a fantasy girlfriend who exists only to be a fantasy girlfriend.

If this were reddit, I'd be getting nothing but down votes, but I stand by what I said.
    I think you're reading way too much into a single page in a comic book . . .

I think you're reading way too much into a single page in a comic book . . .
    Oh, it's not just "a single page in a comic book."

It's the entire Mike Grell & Mike Gold run on Green Arrow in the late 80's-early 90's. The one where they wanted her and Oliver's relationship to continue, but not her career as a crime-fighter. Instead, they stripped her of her costume, her desire to fight crime, her super-power, and her ability to conceive children, but had her serve as Ollie's live-in lover and the only one financially supporting them.

It's the Kevin Smith run on the next volume of Green Arrow, during which they asked the Birds of Prey team to turn over complete editorial control of Black Canary over to them (and thus write her out of BoP) so she could be put back together with Green Arrow 'where she belongs'.

It's Dan Didio making an editorial decree to put her back with Green Arrow and out of the Birds as soon as Gail Simone was no longer writing BoP, and whoever put together that Black Canary mini that was published bi-weekly at the same time Simone's original run's last two issue were being published. The one in which Green Arrow was the one who resolved the situation, behind Canary's back and without telling her, so the bad guys would believe her reaction, and in which he later admitted he'd do the same thing all over again because he loved her (*gag*), oh, and hey, will you marry me?

It's decades of DC and its creators treating Black Canary as a character whose primary purpose, above and beyond being a super-heroine, is being Green Arrow's girlfriend and junior partner. Forgive me for not drinking the kool-aid.

Last edited by juan678; 05-11-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    It's not the way I would have gone, but it's a helluva lot better than the current situation!
    Hopefully father & daughter are reunited soon.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.