Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Nevers on HBO

Who else watched? I thought it had a good premise with some great characters. The reveal at the end was pretty cool.
    It's Joss Whedon, but I decided to trust the art, not the artist.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Whedon hasn't been involved for quite some time.

I had been looking forward to this show, but have decided not to watch it. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Whedon hasn't been involved for quite some time.

I had been looking forward to this show, but have decided not to watch it. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    He's involved with the season that's coming out now, just not future seasons...if there are any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Who else watched? I thought it had a good premise with some great characters. The reveal at the end was pretty cool.
    No I did not. What is it about?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    No I did not. What is it about?
    A group of powered women in late Victorian England.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Seen the trailer and it looks damn interesting. Still, I have too many streaming services already, undecided on adding HBO Max to the pile. Perhaps I'll just wait for the home video release.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Pretty good show. Interesting characters.

Mighty Member

Very generic. I liked the two leads, Amalia and Penance. But the rest of the cast is utterly forgettable. And the Touched baddie is such a worn collection of tired tropes it's almost painful to watch. One presumes, given Whedon's history, that there will be a twist on that at some point to subvert it, but so far she's just kind of sad. Well performed, but sad.

The only thing I really enjoyed was the flashback reveal at the end of the episode. Genuinely surprised they gave us that bit of information this early, and it does open up some pretty interesting avenues should the show explore them down the road.

I'm going to watch the second episode, if for no better reason than more Penance Adair in my life. But hopefully there's more to this than the first episode has offered up.

spoilers:
    And I'm pretty sure that Amalia is actually dead, and some kind of alien presence or other personality is driving her body around.
    end of spoilers

Boisterously Confused

I liked it. I didn't realize that Whedon was attached until the end. I'll stay with it anyway.

A group of powered women in late Victorian England.
    There are some dudes that got the Super Juice too, but yes, it does focus on a group of women, on both sides of the pro/antagonist pole.

Am I misreading? spoilers:
    Does everybody but Maladi not remember the Flying Shinny Fish spraying Super Juice Sparklers all over town? If so, is her ability to recall in someway a function of her mental illness?
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Am I misreading? spoilers:
    Does everybody but Maladi not remember the Flying Shinny Fish spraying Super Juice Sparklers all over town? If so, is her ability to recall in someway a function of her mental illness?
    end of spoilers
    That's my understanding, yes.

Loved the first episode btw, loved the characters, found the setup intriguing and that ending...! This is very much a return to form for Joss Whedon in what will likely be his last hurrah. But if his ex-Buffy collaborators like Jane Espenson are sticking around then I'm not too worried about a drop in quality.

Whedon is only 56. So I can see him taking time off with all that is happening. He stepped away from this show. But I can't see him retiring.

This is on my weekend watch this. Ive heard mixed reviews. But it looks interesting and I a, going to give it a chance. I am also going to catch up with Falcon WS as well. Busy weekend.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Whedon is only 56. So I can see him taking time off with all that is happening. He stepped away from this show. But I can't see him retiring.
    I'm pretty sure it was the show that stepped away from him.

If he's going to continue to have a career it will be solely in writing and creating, not in directing or showrunning. Ever.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was the show that stepped away from him.

If he's going to continue to have a career it will be solely in writing and creating, not in directing or showrunning. Ever.
    "Ever" tends to be a bit less final a word in some places than everywhere else. At the moment, the internet's razor megaphone has shown remarkable power, but unless there's film, I won't call it. We got a couple of Associate Justices and Mel Gibson as evidence.

I didn't find any character to be a standout. I thought it was a bit muddled and boring.