Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    All issues aside, Whedon hasn't lost his story touch.
    FWIW, Jane Espenson wrote the second episode.

Spoilers for Ep 3
    -- That fight with the guy above water with Amalia under water was pretty fun and inventive. The fact that she had to stay underwater to strangle the guy was like a game of "suffocation chicken" seeing who would pass out first. I like the quip that she always loses her dresses in these fights.
    -- Not really surprised at the ending (or, the thing before the ending) - not sure who would end up killing her, (for a sec I thought one of the girls would have an adverse reaction and freak out for some reason) but I was waiting for something bad to happen in the park. It's minor miracle Mundi only got a flesh wound, though.
    -- Whatsername's backstory with her baby was horrible. (these characters need codenames ) Bonfire Annie is a much more memorable monniker. And am I stupid? It took me a lot longer than it should have to realize when they kept saying "Molly", it was a nickname for "Amalia."

I think they are doing a great job of keeping the pieces moving. And yes, that water fight was insane.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Finally, watched the first 4 episodes while I thought the pilot was a lot of fun if not jumbled in some places, I think the series got stronger as it went on 3 and 4 were really good.

The less Maladie the better, everytime time this character is on the scren she takes me out of the show.

I'm enjoying it so far. Never watched Whedon's shows (except Firefly years after it aired) so I don't really know his writing habits. I've seen some comments about what happened in episode 3 to a particular character being something that he does a lot, but I was caught by surprise lol. And maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but I didn't see the betrayal in episode 4 coming either lol.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

I'm surprised Mundi was able to take down Maladie. Is it me, or didn't it seem like she was able to literally take her pain and turn it into strength? It seemed that way during her fight with Tru. (or maybe I misinterpreted that scene) I thought maybe she was planning it, she seemed be goading Mundi - she turned back twice rather than simply running away. I do really like the slight twist on the trope of the villain making an exit and "disappearing" and the hero doesn't even try to give chase.

So, the final scene with the translation of Mary's message was surprising. It wasn't just a message to all the Touched, but a personal message to Tru. It was surprising to see her break down like that, but from what she'd been saying about being left behind to carry out her mission alone this whole time, it makes sense why it affected her so much. It was good writing that Tru's dialogue with the traitor set us up by letting us in on Tru's feelings.

And yeah - what I said before about Tru giving me Jessica Jones vibes? That "drunken brawl as foreplay" scene sealed it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-03-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I like the quip that she always loses her dresses in these fights.
    I hadn't thought of this at the time, but I had figured she loses the dresses as a sign of her shaking off the shackles of patriarchal notions of femininity, etc... which is part of it, but I hadn't thought of it as also the superhero trope of Superman ripping off his shirt or anytime a hero has to doff their outer attire to reveal their superhero selves. (she sheds her skin, and also - she might be an alien)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-03-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I'm enjoying it so far. Never watched Whedon's shows (except Firefly years after it aired) so I don't really know his writing habits. I've seen some comments about what happened in episode 3 to a particular character being something that he does a lot, but I was caught by surprise lol. And maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but I didn't see the betrayal in episode 4 coming either lol.
    There was a moment in the episode where the camera showed them just watching everyone, and I knew that they were the traitor and I hoped that I was wrong because I liked them a lot.

I hadn't thought of this at the time, but I had figured she loses the dresses as a sign of her shaking off the shackles of patriarchal notions of femininity, etc... which is part of it, but I hadn't thought of it as also the superhero trope of Superman ripping off his shirt or anytime a hero has to doff their outer attire to reveal their superhero selves. (she sheds her skin, and also - she might be an alien)
    I also think the quip on her always losing her dress and that she sheds her skin are connected and are hinting that she might be an alien but I also feel that part of the joke is that those dresses are not sensible in a fight.

Do you all feel that she is an alien or that the hints are red herrings?

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Do you all feel that she is an alien or that the hints are red herrings?
    I don't think she is an alien. I think that something may have taken up residence in head.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Yeah, I think the popular speculation is that Tru "died" in the water, then some alien entity entered her when the spore-ship flew by. The message that Tru received at the end of the latest episode supports this theory, though it could still be something else.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's not actually an alien ship, but a ship from the future, and we're dealing with human time-travelers (in perhaps energy form) on a mission to help/save mankind by empowering the disenfranchised at a crucial point in history.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I don't think she is an alien. I think that something may have taken up residence in head.
    That's a good theory I didn't think about that.

Yeah, I think the popular speculation is that Tru "died" in the water, then some alien entity entered her when the spore-ship flew by. The message that Tru received at the end of the latest episode supports this theory, though it could still be something else.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's not actually an alien ship, but a ship from the future, and we're dealing with human time-travelers (in perhaps energy form) on a mission to help/save mankind by empowering the disenfranchised at a crucial point in history.
    I've also been leaning towards time travel more than alien

I'm surprised Mundi was able to take down Maladie. Is it me, or didn't it seem like she was able to literally take her pain and turn it into strength? It seemed that way during her fight with Tru. (or maybe I misinterpreted that scene) I thought maybe she was planning it, she seemed be goading Mundi - she turned back twice rather than simply running away. I do really like the slight twist on the trope of the villain making an exit and "disappearing" and the hero doesn't even try to give chase.
    Okay, then. We have confirmation of her powers and now we know why she was captured as easily as she was.

So odd to see Whedon (he did direct this one) essentially rip of Singer's "Usual Suspects" villain reveal ending considering how they've both been revealed to be pretty despicable people. It was a pretty devious plot, but a bunch of things needed to fall into place to make it work that Maladie really couldn't have been able to predict.(unless she did ... or used the Colonel to make it happen?)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-10-2021 at 06:48 AM.

Not sure if Maladie had that planned all along. She could have just had the substitute so she could escape the gallows. When they decided on the public execution, she set in place the mass murder.
    I was not a fan of Maladie, I hate the "crazy villain" trope, whether it's Alice in Batwoman or Joker. So I do wish they had killed her off.

I get why they wanted Penance at the hanging for the story. But I don't get her wanting to save mass killer Maladie. Her logic fell flat and seemed only a device for them to be there for the sake of the story.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Turns out we were both right. True died in the Thames, AND her body was gifted to a time traveler.

Claudia Black! That raised this show in my estimation. Always great to see a legend. She was excellent here. I hope we get to see her again.

This was really interesting. A lot of neat ideas. I think I'm in for whatever is next, if there is indeed more ahead.

This episode felt...undercooked. It would have been better to make this a two-parter and eliminate the Maladie execution because the character and the episode was a waste of time. We finally get to meet the Galanthi and It turns out that they are...a race of alien golden retrievers?!. Seriously go back and watch it's interactions with the scientist in the video....typical golden retriever behaviors. This is the alien race that is going to save humanity? Is it too late to start making Free Life was right merchandise?

There is also a post apocalyptic world that is like...well every post apocalyptic world you have ever seen. Names are very important and tend to be kept secret which feels familiar. I feel I have come across that before in another story or maybe it's so widespread I just think I did?

We get a hasty battle underground that leads to a hasty vision and retreat. Then decide to tell everyone the truth. "Hey, folks there are these space aliens and they were supposed to save humanity but the behaved like golden retrievers so they were wiped out by other humans and...."
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest