Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Whedon hasn't been involved for quite some time.

I had been looking forward to this show, but have decided not to watch it. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    I can understand where you are coming from. Watching the show I'm reminded of the old saying "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck". Whedon isn't with the show anymore but make no mistake this looks like a Whedon show. The characters talk like his characters and act like his characters. Sure, dad left but make no mistake it's his baby. The people who will be running the show from now on probably wouldn't be there in the the first place if Whedon didn't think they were compatible with him when he was putting things together.

He is always going to be there. So I just decided to judge the show on its own merits. I was never a fan of Buffy, Angel or Firefly. I liked his X-Men run and Dollhouse was okay. I liked both Avengers movies. I tried it and it was okay, the good kind of okay. So I guess I'm going to keep watching it.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-14-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I can understand where you are coming from. Watching the show I'm reminded of the old saying "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck". Whedon isn't with the show anymore but make no mistake this looks like a Whedon show. The characters talk like his characters and act like his characters. Sure, dad left but make no mistake it's his baby. The people who will be running the show from now on probably wouldn't be there in the the first place if Whedon didn't think they were compatible with him when he was putting things together.

He is always going to be there. So I just decided to judge the show on its own merits. I was never a fan of Buffy, Angel or Firefly. I liked his X-Men run and Dollhouse was okay. I liked both Avengers movies. I tried it and it was okay, the good kind of okay. So I guess I'm going to keep watching it.
    I was a huge fan of Buffy, Angel and Firefly. I liked Dollhouse, and The Avengers is still my favorite superhero movie. Cabin in the Woods is one of my favorite horror movies.

I don't do "cancel," but the whole thing surrounding Whedon has depressed me to the point that I couldn't enjoy anything with his stamp on it right now. It will probably be that way for a good long time.

The Celebrity Apocalypse that began with Harvey Weinstein has really spoiled my enjoyment of pop culture in general. I hope things get better soon... through the intervention of a large asteroid, if need be.

The Nevers might be good this season, but will it remain so after Whedon's fingerprints expire? Will it go the direction Game of Thrones did after it ran out of GRRM material to draw from? Maybe. But I choose not to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Who else watched? I thought it had a good premise with some great characters. The reveal at the end was pretty cool.
    It's Joss Whedon, but I decided to trust the art, not the artist.
    so is this meant to be just a mini series, or will it possibly continue? Will there be a comics adaptation by DC?

I was a huge fan of Buffy, Angel and Firefly. I liked Dollhouse, and The Avengers is still my favorite superhero movie. Cabin in the Woods is one of my favorite horror movies.

I don't do "cancel," but the whole thing surrounding Whedon has depressed me to the point that I couldn't enjoy anything with his stamp on it right now. It will probably be that way for a good long time.

The Celebrity Apocalypse that began with Harvey Weinstein has really spoiled my enjoyment of pop culture in general. I hope things get better soon... through the intervention of a large asteroid, if need be.
    Strangely it didn't bother bother me at all because Hollywood has spent decades telling me it was nuts.

The Nevers might be good this season, but will it remain so after Whedon's fingerprints expire? Will it go the direction Game of Thrones did after it ran out of GRRM material to draw from? Maybe. But I choose not to find out.
    If it tanks I'll just move on. There are more entertainment options than ever.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is this meant to be just a mini series, or will it possibly continue? Will there be a comics adaptation by DC?
    Will continue. Have no idea.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This was interesting enough for me to keep going with it. I wasn't expecting such a strong X-Men parallel, but between the school and those men in power debating what to do about the "touched," it's pretty clear. (at least so far) When Mad-lady showed up with her cronies, I thought, "Oh, so she's the Magneto with her brotherhood of evil mutants - got it." The ending was unexpected and I was getting some Scientology vibes with the ... origin, but I don't think Whedon is in the church, so it's just a coincidence I suppose.

I keep thinking of True as "old timey Jessica Jones." Anyone else get that vibe?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-18-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    spoilers:
    And I'm pretty sure that Amalia is actually dead, and some kind of alien presence or other personality is driving her body around.
    end of spoilers
    Ohhhh, okay. That would certainly explain her "face" comment.

Did anyone find themselves fast forwarding through Maladie's parts until the final confrontation? The character felt....boring. It felt like they were going for a Joker/Jack The Ripper combo with the character and it just didn't come together. They get points for trying.

Not going to lie part of what makes this show interesting is watching it knowing what we know about Whedon now. Watching him make this kind of show about women fighting back against an oppressive system is like watching someone who eats barbecue ribs claim to be a vegan. The show is well made and the casting works so I keep watching.

I am tired of "crazy" villains. Especially female "crazy" villains. (Alice on Batwoman made me stop watching). But I feel Maladie's arc, especially with the revelation of the last episode, will be different.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am tired of "crazy" villains. Especially female "crazy" villains. (Alice on Batwoman made me stop watching). But I feel Maladie's arc, especially with the revelation of the last episode, will be different.
    I just want the show to move on from this character as soon as possible.

Mighty Member

I'm still torn on this after two episodes. The actual plot is kind of rote, and feels very same-y. There's nothing groundbreaking or new here. But the cast is quite good, and I'm starting to warm up to more of the characters. I really enjoy Amalia and Penance so far, but the second episode really brought home Augustus for me as well. Love his turn. That would make for a fun power. And, somewhat in spite of myself, I think I like Frank as well. He felt more human this episode.

I'm surprised at how quickly they made the Lavinia reveal. I suspect that means it's probably not what it looks like. But, on the other hand, what it looks like is kind of damning in it's own right.

Did I hear the dialogue during the showdown with Maladie right? It sounds like Amalia's "mission" predates the visitation. Which is a pretty significant detail if that's the case. Hopefully we get some more light shed on whatever is going on with her next week.

Somebody said something about how much Amalia looks like Krystin Ritter aka Jessica Jones, and now I can't unsee it. But my word is Ann Skelly (Penance Adair) breathtaking.

I'm not sure it's going to be great television, but it's held my interest thus far. I wonder how long they'll drag out some of the core mysteries. I'll be tuning in next week, in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Somebody said something about how much Amalia looks like Krystin Ritter aka Jessica Jones, and now I can't unsee it.
    It's not just her appearance, but her attitude. (and obviously some kind of trauma in her past) She even does a great superhero landing.

I like that the story doesn't simply portray the Touched as "hated and feared." There's a fascination about them and the PR luncheon showed society hasn't quite made up their minds yet. The club owner guy is also looking to exploit them for a profit. (though I imagine he'll also be sympathetic towards them as well)

I hope they go a little deeper into Maladie's relationship with Bonfire Annie - they don't seem like they should be friends, and maybe it'll provide some depth the Maladie so that she isn't so one-note. (because it's Whedon, I keep thinking of her as Druscilla - and there's also the accent)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-19-2021 at 10:51 PM.

So we now have a prior relationship between Maladie and Amelia. But we also have Amelia jumping into the water before the touch-craft appeared. It looked like she was committing suicide. So that is another bit of history that needs to be revealed.

Damn this show.... I keep getting the Transformers' "You've Got the Touch" song in my head like, all the time now...

Boisterously Confused

I'm enjoying the season even more after episode 2. Love the way they turned my assumptions about Inspector Monday completely upside down spoilers:
    Even if he did fall in with Mrs True a little too easily. Boy that charity thing was awkward as s***. For a second there, I really thought they were going to put Mrs. True in a box. I gotta hope something really awful happens to Mrs. Bidlow before we're done. Her snobby sabotage of Augustus' clicking with Penance made my teeth grind.
    end of spoilers

All issues aside, Whedon hasn't lost his story touch.