Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    My biggest issue with Japanese cinema when it comes to adaptions is they will adapt things that don't translate to live action. Things the impossible hair styles and hair colors is something a lot of them do. Sometimes the film will end up just being a collection of the series greatest moments cohesive plot be damned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Yeah, a recent example that comes to mind that best epitomizes the bolded part is that awful Full Metal Alchemist live-action movie a few years ago. That felt like watching a fan film that arbitrarily squeeze dozens of manga chapters into a movie without knowing what to cut or when to cut it. Truly a disaster.
    To be honest certain manga would be really hard to adapt onto film and condense things down to a satisfying degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest certain manga would be really hard to adapt onto film and condense things down to a satisfying degree.
    Those manga should be adapted into series then. Or film series. A movie needs to work as a 2 hour plot on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Those manga should be adapted into series then. Or film series. A movie needs to work as a 2 hour plot on its own.
    Or just keep it as anime.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Yeah, a recent example that comes to mind that best epitomizes the bolded part is that awful Full Metal Alchemist live-action movie a few years ago. That felt like watching a fan film that arbitrarily squeeze dozens of manga chapters into a movie without knowing what to cut or when to cut it. Truly a disaster.
    The FMA movie was what I was thinking about when I typed that sentence. It's one of my favorite series and it sucked seeing it bastardize like that.

I would prefer if they just adapt arcs or better yet make their own story. The live action Kenshin films were amazing.

Or just keep it as anime.
    Why? The anime already exists, adaptations won't erase that. But a lot of people want to see those characters brought to life. It doesn't hurt anything, and there's always the chance it'll be good or even great. It's like saying we can just keep the comics and not adapt superheroes - we could, but why?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The Cowboy Bebop adaptation isn't even out and they're giving them Gundam? Oh boy.
    "Cable was right!"

Why? The anime already exists, adaptations won't erase that. But a lot of people want to see those characters brought to life. It doesn't hurt anything, and there's always the chance it'll be good or even great. It's like saying we can just keep the comics and not adapt superheroes - we could, but why?
    I mean, I find anime a perfectly valid and more true-to-source way of bringing it to life in certain respects, and can better adapt the material, but that's just my take.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The same thing happened with the live action version of Attack On Titan. Despite the story having been spread out over two films, it still felt overly condensed. With forty years worth of Gundam incarnations, choosing just one would be a hellacious tasking.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I think it'll be set at an undisclosed spot in the Universal Century timeline instead of adapting a specific Gundam series.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I think it'll be set at an undisclosed spot in the Universal Century timeline instead of adapting a specific Gundam series.
    They can go AU if they don't want to deal with the continuity baggage of UC.

Most American adaptations are pretty bad. They are more like the Halle Berry Catwoman movie. The Japanese live action movies tend to be better.

Animation allows you to bring more things to life in a different way. There's probably a reason why Kirkman chose to adapt Invincible as a cartoon.

A better way to tackle American adaptations would be to do a new story/spinoff set in the same world. Similar to how Watchmen was adapted by HBO. The video is a rewrite for the Death Note American movie setting it as a spinoff in the States.

Gundam has many different series but the throughline is an exploration of war and its horrors. So crafting a new story with that in mind feels like the easiest option.

I mean, I find anime a perfectly valid and more true-to-source way of bringing it to life in certain respects, and can better adapt the material, but that's just my take.
    It's not a matter of it being valid, or what any of us think is a more "true-to-source" medium. It about the fact that a bunch of people like seeing these characters brought in live action and are willing to pay to see that. And honestly, as one of those people, what's so wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Most American adaptations are pretty bad. They are more like the Halle Berry Catwoman movie. The Japanese live action movies tend to be better.
    So? Comic book movies used to be bad. American adaptations of those got better. Video game adaptations are improving, Same can happen for manga/anime adaptations.

Animation allows you to bring more things to life in a different way. There's probably a reason why Kirkman chose to adapt Invincible as a cartoon.
    So? No one is saying animation is bad, or that animation can't be great. On;y that it's not the same thing as live action, that live action adaptations has a special appeal for a lot of people. There is a demand for it, there's an audience for it, and there's profit to be made off of it. So - why not?

A better way to tackle American adaptations would be to do a new story/spinoff set in the same world. Similar to how Watchmen was adapted by HBO. The video is a rewrite for the Death Note American movie setting it as a spinoff in the States.
    There's nothing wrong with spin-offs, but people don't want to be limited to only spin offs. What's wrong with straight adaptations?

Gundam has many different series but the throughline is an exploration of war and its horrors. So crafting a new story with that in mind feels like the easiest option.
    Maybe, but would that satisfy some fans?

Again, is there anything inherently wrong or awful about them making a straight live action adaptation?

So? Comic book movies used to be bad. American adaptations of those got better. Video game adaptations are improving, Same can happen for manga/anime adaptations.

So? No one is saying animation is bad, or that animation can't be great. On;y that it's not the same thing as live action, that live action adaptations has a special appeal for a lot of people. There is a demand for it, there's an audience for it, and there's profit to be made off of it. So - why not?

There's nothing wrong with spin-offs, but people don't want to be limited to only spin offs. What's wrong with straight adaptations?

Maybe, but would that satisfy some fans?

Again, is there anything inherently wrong or awful about them making a straight live action adaptation?
    I'm just explaining why other fans wouldn't like the idea of live action adaptations.

There is nothing wrong with straight adaptations. Hollywood has a bad track record so I rather give them more options. If doing a new story would get me a better movie....it's worth it.

It could satisfy a lot of fans. It's a risk worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm just explaining why other fans wouldn't like the idea of live action adaptations.
    And they can simply choose to not watch it. No one's forcing them to go see live action adaptations. So why's it a problem that a lot of people do want to see it done?

There is nothing wrong with straight adaptations. Hollywood has a bad track record so I rather give them more options. If doing a new story would get me a better movie....it's worth it.

It could satisfy a lot of fans. It's a risk worth taking.
    But sometimes sticking to a straight adaptation does get you a better movie. So why isn't that also a risk worth taking?