Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gundam movie will be Netflix exclusive, Jordan Vogt-Roberts directing

https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix...erts-directing

Gundam-which has had some troubles with release in the United states due to a sort of flawed marketing push in the early 00's and other factors-recently has mostly come back to semi-mainstream with success on streaming networks (including Netflix itself) and a cameo in READY PLAYER ONE. The anime-which deals with conflict between Earth and orbiting space colonies, the next stages of human evolution and the titular giant robot-has been a major success in Japan for decades.

Of course Vogt is also attached to the Metal Gear Solid movie, which seems to be moving at a snails pace despite the announcement of Oscar Isaac last year.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Placing this one firmly in the "I'll believe when I see it" pile, but I am curious to hear what series it's based on, personally I think just starting at the beginning with the one year war would make the most sense, plenty of room to expand if it's successful.

I don't know if they want to be associated with a live-action anime adaption on Netflix, but we still don't know a lot about this project.

Ultimate Member

OK...what part and/or era of Gundam are thet adapting?

Because the universe is soooooooooooooo massive, I hope they don't do something dumb and combine different eras together.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Because the universe is soooooooooooooo massive, I hope they don't do something dumb and combine different eras together.
    This has been something that has bothered me since this project was announced. Within the UC alone there's damn near an infinite supply of material to make a movie franchise. But with this being Hollywood I see them doing a G-Saviour, as in it takes place in a specific era but far removed from the source events.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Extraordinary Member

Its possible to do the Original Mobile Suit Gundam as a series 2 hour movies.

Just watching the movie version of the O.G. series reminded me how much excess stuff there is in the series that could be removed.

Tho I really just kind of wish they wouldn't try. The last thing Fandom needs is a whole new crop of "Char did nothing wrong" types popping up.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 04-12-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    This has been something that has bothered me since this project was announced. Within the UC alone there's damn near an infinite supply of material to make a movie franchise. But with this being Hollywood I see them doing a G-Saviour, as in it takes place in a specific era but far removed from the source events.
    Supposedly they tested the screenwriter by having them watch Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative (set in the Universal Century) to see if they could catch all the references.

A good chunk of the alternate series and even some of the UC sequels take a lot of inspiration straight from the original series. The first episode of ZETA GUNDAM, for example, is very similar to original Gundam's, just kind of in reverse. GUNDAM WING borrows the whole Sayla/Char storyline from the first one (and a bit of CHAR's COUNTERATTACK) pretty much, and SEED repeats many of the story beats of pretty much all of UC. Even some of the more distinct series like 00 tend to recycle a bit-the A-laws are pretty much ZETA GUNDAM's Titans. So probably the original series would probably be the best springboard.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I hope whatever this movie does it doesn't have newtypes. I always found it to be bullshit. Zeta Gundam took it deus ex machina levels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix...erts-directing

Gundam-which has had some troubles with release in the United states due to a sort of flawed marketing push in the early 00's and other factors-recently has mostly come back to semi-mainstream with success on streaming networks (including Netflix itself) and a cameo in READY PLAYER ONE. The anime-which deals with conflict between Earth and orbiting space colonies, the next stages of human evolution and the titular giant robot-has been a major success in Japan for decades.

Of course Vogt is also attached to the Metal Gear Solid movie, which seems to be moving at a snails pace despite the announcement of Oscar Isaac last year.
    Don't know much about Jordan as a director, However he has a lot to live up to doing anything Gundam. it is good it will be on Netflix, I fear big studio cooperate issues may be damaging to a franchise like Gundam.