Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Gundam movie will be Netflix exclusive, Jordan Vogt-Roberts directing

https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix...erts-directing

Gundam-which has had some troubles with release in the United states due to a sort of flawed marketing push in the early 00's and other factors-recently has mostly come back to semi-mainstream with success on streaming networks (including Netflix itself) and a cameo in READY PLAYER ONE. The anime-which deals with conflict between Earth and orbiting space colonies, the next stages of human evolution and the titular giant robot-has been a major success in Japan for decades.

Of course Vogt is also attached to the Metal Gear Solid movie, which seems to be moving at a snails pace despite the announcement of Oscar Isaac last year.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Placing this one firmly in the "I'll believe when I see it" pile, but I am curious to hear what series it's based on, personally I think just starting at the beginning with the one year war would make the most sense, plenty of room to expand if it's successful.

I don't know if they want to be associated with a live-action anime adaption on Netflix, but we still don't know a lot about this project.

Ultimate Member

OK...what part and/or era of Gundam are thet adapting?

Because the universe is soooooooooooooo massive, I hope they don't do something dumb and combine different eras together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix...erts-directing

Gundam-which has had some troubles with release in the United states due to a sort of flawed marketing push in the early 00's and other factors-recently has mostly come back to semi-mainstream with success on streaming networks (including Netflix itself) and a cameo in READY PLAYER ONE. The anime-which deals with conflict between Earth and orbiting space colonies, the next stages of human evolution and the titular giant robot-has been a major success in Japan for decades.

Of course Vogt is also attached to the Metal Gear Solid movie, which seems to be moving at a snails pace despite the announcement of Oscar Isaac last year.
    Don't know much about Jordan as a director, However he has a lot to live up to doing anything Gundam. it is good it will be on Netflix, I fear big studio cooperate issues may be damaging to a franchise like Gundam.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Because the universe is soooooooooooooo massive, I hope they don't do something dumb and combine different eras together.
    This has been something that has bothered me since this project was announced. Within the UC alone there's damn near an infinite supply of material to make a movie franchise. But with this being Hollywood I see them doing a G-Saviour, as in it takes place in a specific era but far removed from the source events.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Extraordinary Member

Its possible to do the Original Mobile Suit Gundam as a series 2 hour movies.

Just watching the movie version of the O.G. series reminded me how much excess stuff there is in the series that could be removed.

Tho I really just kind of wish they wouldn't try. The last thing Fandom needs is a whole new crop of "Char did nothing wrong" types popping up.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 04-12-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

With Brian K Vaughn is writing the script & Sunrise is supervising the project fills me with some hope, and I think Jordan Vogt managed pretty well with Kong - showing he could pull off properties that involve large sized things fighting. Personally, I’d rather this be an American production than a Japanese one since the budget will be there. I love Japanese cinema but when it comes to big budget non-anime spectacle America pretty much trumps them in that regard. A Japanese produced live-action Gundam movie would inevitably look very cheap & rather uninspired.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-12-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Brian K Vaughn is writing the script & Sunrise is supervising the project that fills me with some hope, and I think Jordan Vogt managed pretty well with Kong - showing he could pull off properties that involve large sized things fighting. Personally, I’d rather this be an American production than a Japanese one since the budget will be there. I love Japanese cinema but when it comes to big budget non-anime spectacle America pretty much trumps them in that regard. A Japanese produced live-action Gundam movie would inevitably look very cheap & rather uninspired.
    I've seen a couple of recent Japanese special effects movies (Shin Godzilla, BraveStorm) and while not Hollywood level their CGI isn't that bad.
    Plus it takes more than cheap effects to make a film uninspired.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I've seen a couple of recent Japanese special effects movies (Shin Godzilla, BraveStorm) and while not Hollywood level their CGI isn't that bad.
    Plus it takes more than cheap effects to make a film uninspired.
    I didn’t mean uninspired as far as quality is concerned, more so uninspired in terms of production values.

The Japanese special effect movies don’t look too bad, yes, but compared to the best Western CGI has to offer it vastly pales in comparison and I think Gundam deserves Hollywood level production values in order to properly bring it to life.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-12-2021 at 01:40 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    This has been something that has bothered me since this project was announced. Within the UC alone there's damn near an infinite supply of material to make a movie franchise. But with this being Hollywood I see them doing a G-Saviour, as in it takes place in a specific era but far removed from the source events.
    Supposedly they tested the screenwriter by having them watch Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative (set in the Universal Century) to see if they could catch all the references.

I didn’t mean uninspired as far as quality is concerned, more so uninspired in terms of production values.

The Japanese special effect movies don’t look horrible, but compared to the Western CGI it vastly pales in comparison and I think Gundam deserves Hollywood level production values in order to properly bring it to life.
    Fair enough. Their CGI isn't bad, but they definitely don't have the money of Hollywood to throw into making it as much of a spectacle. They kind of have to pick their scenes and structure it so there's only a few places that need that level of CGI. Whereas Hollywood has gotten to the point they can spend the dollars on CGI in scenes that don't even look like CGI spectacles anymore - JOKER had a lot of CGI in almost all the city scenes just to make modern New York look like 70's New York for example.

Although it might not just be a factor of money. China has more money to spend on effects, but the trailers for all their monster movies look worse than the Japanese films - watching some Chinese monster movie trailers is maybe a step above watching the trailers for Asylum of Syfy original movies. But that can change easy in a decade. How far behind some countries are to Hollywood in special effects, and how long it'd take to close that gap if it can be closed, is kind of an interesting debate in and of itself, but off topic.

I just hope whether American or Japanese production this is a good movie.

I hope they just create a new era/story/characters. Easiest way to avoid adaptation problems .

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Brian K Vaughn is writing the script & Sunrise is supervising the project that fills me with some hope, and I think Jordan Vogt managed pretty well with Kong - showing he could pull off properties that involve large sized things fighting. Personally, I’d rather this be an American production than a Japanese one since the budget will be there. I love Japanese cinema but when it comes to big budget non-anime spectacle America pretty much trumps them in that regard. A Japanese produced live-action Gundam movie would inevitably look very cheap & rather uninspired.
    My biggest issue with Japanese cinema when it comes to adaptions is they will adapt things that don't translate to live action. Things the impossible hair styles and hair colors is something a lot of them do. Sometimes the film will end up just being a collection of the series greatest moments cohesive plot be damned.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    My biggest issue with Japanese cinema when it comes to adaptions is they will adapt things that don't translate to live action. Things the impossible hair styles and hair colors is something a lot of them do. Sometimes the film will end up just being a collection of the series greatest moments cohesive plot be damned.
    Yeah, a recent example that comes to mind that best epitomizes the bolded part is that awful Full Metal Alchemist live-action movie a few years ago. That felt like watching a fan film that arbitrarily squeeze dozens of manga chapters into a movie without knowing what to cut or when to cut it. Truly a disaster.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-12-2021 at 02:16 PM.

- Charles Schultz.