Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    And they can simply choose to not watch it. No one's forcing them to go see live action adaptations. So why's it a problem that a lot of people do want to see it done?

But sometimes sticking to a straight adaptation does get you a better movie. So why isn't that also a risk worth taking?
    It is but I'm just stating a preference. Creating a new era/story/characters is a viable option for this franchise than others.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It is but I'm just stating a preference. Creating a new era/story/characters is a viable option for this franchise than others.
    Fair enough. Me personally, the bulk of my Gundam experience is Gundam Wing, Iron Blooded Orphans, and Unicorn, so I'm pretty open to whatever story they want to tell.
    Just hope the action looks great - this series has visuals like nothing else we've seen seen really. Like take the mecha of Pacific Rim and put them into outer space like Star Wars. We just haven't seen that done in live action/Hollywood CGI before.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Supposedly they tested the screenwriter by having them watch Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative (set in the Universal Century) to see if they could catch all the references.
    Narrative seems like an odd choice to me but I suppose it would help the writers get a decent grasp of the UC. Although watching a movie like that is kinda like being thrown into the deep end if you haven't at least seen CCA and Unicorn.

Aside from timeline or universe placement as a few others have mentioned the GCI is going to have to be topnotch and between the mobile suits themselves, battles, beam effects and ship there's bound to be quite a bit of it.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Not really interested in anything like this, but this director is a dick for living at the far end of a massive field of rocks in Death Stranding.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    OK...what part and/or era of Gundam are thet adapting?

Because the universe is soooooooooooooo massive, I hope they don't do something dumb and combine different eras together.
    A good chunk of the alternate series and even some of the UC sequels take a lot of inspiration straight from the original series. The first episode of ZETA GUNDAM, for example, is very similar to original Gundam's, just kind of in reverse. GUNDAM WING borrows the whole Sayla/Char storyline from the first one (and a bit of CHAR's COUNTERATTACK) pretty much, and SEED repeats many of the story beats of pretty much all of UC. Even some of the more distinct series like 00 tend to recycle a bit-the A-laws are pretty much ZETA GUNDAM's Titans. So probably the original series would probably be the best springboard.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I hope whatever this movie does it doesn't have newtypes. I always found it to be bullshit. Zeta Gundam took it deus ex machina levels.

Some of the alternate universes sort of did pseudo-Newtypes: Wing's ZERO system, Coordinators in SEED, Innovators in 00 etc. Generally they're shown to be more artificial in nature due to cybernetics or genetic engineering as opposed to UC where they're mostly natural.

I think it also might drive some comparisons to Star Wars-although Newtypes's place in the Gundam universe is way different than the Jedi and the Sith (Newtypes seem to be a bit more like X-men's mutants in some ways, although more the Weapon X/Mr. Sinister type exploitation than the other elements).

Although some of the other series, especially the Non-Tomino works, either didn't have them at all or as a small footnote: 0083 in particular, but in 0080 and 08th Ms they didn't have much involvement apart from the Alex intended to be Amuro's backup and the group found at the very end of 08th. Unicorn on the other hand....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-13-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    A good chunk of the alternate series and even some of the UC sequels take a lot of inspiration straight from the original series. The first episode of ZETA GUNDAM, for example, is very similar to original Gundam's, just kind of in reverse. GUNDAM WING borrows the whole Sayla/Char storyline from the first one (and a bit of CHAR's COUNTERATTACK) pretty much, and SEED repeats many of the story beats of pretty much all of UC. Even some of the more distinct series like 00 tend to recycle a bit-the A-laws are pretty much ZETA GUNDAM's Titans. So probably the original series would probably be the best springboard.
    SEED even eventually introduced classic Zeon units like the Zaku, Gouf, and Dom's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hope whatever this movie does it doesn't have newtypes. I always found it to be bullshit. Zeta Gundam took it deus ex machina levels.
    If it's in the UC, we better get Newtypes and it better be trippy .

Ultimate Member

I’d LOVE to see them do something like 08th MS Team or War in the Pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    SEED even eventually introduced classic Zeon units like the Zaku, Gouf, and Dom's.

If it's in the UC, we better get Newtypes and it better be trippy .
    I kind of thought it was kind of interesting how they shook it up a bit. The Zakus being a more advanced version of the Ginns (Which were originally the Zaku substitute), the Goufs which were pretty much strictly a ground-type unit in UC, and the Dom/Black Tri-star equivalents being the " good guys."

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I’d LOVE to see them do something like 08th MS Team or War in the Pocket.
    While it's cool to have a more grounded (literally) Gundam story like 08th or a side story like 0080 I'm not sure either would be cinematic scale enough or sell the whole Gundam concept as much, although 0080 does dwell on the "horrors of war/both sides kind of suck" theme of a good chunk of the franchise pretty well.

whatever it ends up being it still can't be as bad as G-Savior

While it's cool to have a more grounded (literally) Gundam story like 08th or a side story like 0080 I'm not sure either would be cinematic scale enough or sell the whole Gundam concept as much, although 0080 does dwell on the "horrors of war/both sides kind of suck" theme of a good chunk of the franchise pretty well.
    Yeah, I think for a feature film you'll have to up the takes a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    whatever it ends up being it still can't be as bad as G-Savior
    The one thing G-Savior got right was the Mobile Suit design. Now imagine that with a movie-level CGI budget.

The Gundam was OK, the other suits were kind of meh IMO.

One of the few interesting elements about the movie is that the female lead is the same actress who did the dub voice for Lady Une in Gundam Wing.

The Gundam was OK, the other suits were kind of meh IMO.
    Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't put it on the level of an actual Gundam production, but for what it was it worked.
    One of the few interesting elements about the movie is that the female lead is the same actress who did the dub voice for Lady Une in Gundam Wing.
    I did not know that .

They even had Blu Mankuma...