Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2 out in July

It's Spidey vs Star in Spider-Man Annual #2 Infinite Destinies

It's being written by Spider-Woman writer Karla Pacheco so Poor Peter isn't gonna know what hit him.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

So Spider-Man gets to fight evil Supergirl? Star sure is making the rounds .

I love how they call her a mass-murderer and say she's still trying to find her path...but at least they acknowledge she's terrible. Don't forget she smacked a kid for standing up to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    It's being written by Spider-Woman writer Karla Pacheco so Poor Peter isn't gonna know what hit him.
    I could say the same for Ryan, since she probably thinks Spider-Man is an easy fight before he manages to outsmart and beat her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So Spider-Man gets to fight evil Supergirl? Star sure is making the rounds .

I love how they call her a mass-murderer and say she's still trying to find her path...but at least they acknowledge she's terrible. Don't forget she smacked a kid for standing up to her.

I could say the same for Ryan, since she probably thinks Spider-Man is an easy fight before he manages to outsmart and beat her.
    That is true! I admit, I'm really excited to see how Karla writes Peter.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    That is true! I admit, I'm really excited to see how Karla writes Peter.
    Yeah. It's always neat when a female writer gets to write Peter .

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I still don’t get the point of the star character, I’m guessing she’ll eventually replace captain marvel when marvel tries to a death storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I still don’t get the point of the star character, I’m guessing she’ll eventually replace captain marvel when marvel tries to a death storyline?
    Nope. Looks like Marvel wants to double down on her as a villain. At least that's what this is sounding like.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    She's evil Supergirl.

I guess she's also like a younger Moonstone, who also once fought Spidey.

She's evil Supergirl.....
    Indeed she is, touché.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I guess she's also like a younger Moonstone, who also once fought Spidey.
    Apart from being blonde and powered by a cosmic stone, I don't see too much in common between Ripley and Karla. Karla is a skilled manipulator and schemer, who is motivated to enhance her own power base. Ripley is a survivor of abuse (apparently in multiple forms over her life) who is largely motivated to become strong enough to not be a victim again to be able to hurt back anyone who tries to hurt her. I don't think Ripley is quite as bright as Karla is--although that's not to suggest Ripley is stupid. Moonstone just happens to be particularly clever.

Both women have showed a bit of a softer side and a potential for redemption though. In her recent THUNDERBOLTS appearance Star was actually the most hero-like of the group, which was somewhat surprising given her attitude at the end of her solo mini. It sounds like she'll be back into her nastier mode for this Annual though....which means Spidey will really have his hands full. The main advantage he's got on his side is that she still doesn't really have a firm handle on her powers so she can't exploit them to their full potential--and she's seen some examples of what can go wrong when she screws up, so she usually tries not to push too far beyond her current comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Apart from being blonde and powered by a cosmic stone, I don't see too much in common between Ripley and Karla. Karla is a skilled manipulator and schemer, who is motivated to enhance her own power base. Ripley is a survivor of abuse (apparently in multiple forms over her life) who is largely motivated to become strong enough to not be a victim again to be able to hurt back anyone who tries to hurt her. I don't think Ripley is quite as bright as Karla is--although that's not to suggest Ripley is stupid. Moonstone just happens to be particularly clever.

Both women have showed a bit of a softer side and a potential for redemption though. In her recent THUNDERBOLTS appearance Star was actually the most hero-like of the group, which was somewhat surprising given her attitude at the end of her solo mini. It sounds like she'll be back into her nastier mode for this Annual though....which means Spidey will really have his hands full. The main advantage he's got on his side is that she still doesn't really have a firm handle on her powers so she can't exploit them to their full potential--and she's seen some examples of what can go wrong when she screws up, so she usually tries not to push too far beyond her current comfort zone.
    I didn't mean they're one-to-one alike, just in terms of archetype and some character similarities.

Astonishing Member

I didn't mean they're one-to-one alike, just in terms of archetype and some character similarities.
    That's fair.

A scary thought is what might happen if the two were ever to meet. With Ripley's past traumas, she'd be a ripe target for Karla's psychological manipulations--and with Karla guiding Ripley's use of the reality stone, she'd be an even bigger threat than she already is (much like when Moonstone started working with the mentally unstable Darkforce-user Blackout).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That's fair.

A scary thought is what might happen if the two were ever to meet. With Ripley's past traumas, she'd be a ripe target for Karla's psychological manipulations--and with Karla guiding Ripley's use of the reality stone, she'd be an even bigger threat than she already is (much like when Moonstone started working with the mentally unstable Darkforce-user Blackout).
    That's an interesting point there, and I've been wanting to see a more serious confrontation between Spider-Man and Moonstone, particularly since Moonstone is apparently the head psychiatrist for Ravencroft and her philosophy of base selfishness and ambition is a very good foil to Spider-Man's philosophy of power and responsibility.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's an interesting point there, and I've been wanting to see a more serious confrontation between Spider-Man and Moonstone, particularly since Moonstone is apparently the head psychiatrist for Ravencroft and her philosophy of base selfishness and ambition is a very good foil to Spider-Man's philosophy of power and responsibility.
    I admit I didn’t follow her redemption arc in ‘Thunderbolts’, but Moonstone was a super-powered murderer who used her psychiatric skills to engage in emotional abuse and gaslighting. And Ravencroft think she’s a good fit for head psychiatrist to an institution that holds the most dangerous killers on the planet? That makes no sense even by plot-driven comic book logic.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I admit I didn’t follow her redemption arc in ‘Thunderbolts’, but Moonstone was a super-powered murderer who used her psychiatric skills to engage in emotional abuse and gaslighting. And Ravencroft think she’s a good fit for head psychiatrist to an institution that holds the most dangerous killers on the planet? That makes no sense even by plot-driven comic book logic.
    That sounds to me like they're setting up Moonstone to be Marvel's Joker or something.

I would be intrigued to see her and Star meet though, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Isn't Ravencroft run by Norman Osborn who employed her as his Ms. Marvel stand-in?