Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman #30 Preview/Spoiler Discussion

I would say that I had fun with this issue but its nothing special if you know what I mean. Like I think its an 8/10, 7.5 at its worse, because well frankly its kind of just Jon and Clark off on a random space adventure (not sure if its an actual reference to another story). They go into space, we meet a mysterious alien race, learn about a new-ish threat that Clark apparently fought before, and then Shenanigans, not just any shenanigans but weird alien shenanigans. But why its getting a higher score from me are the father and son moments and a really kind of touching moment with Clark reflecting on how much he's missed of Jon's life.

Besides that, there is an Ambush Bug back up but I do not really care for him so I just skimmed it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It honestly reads like one of the filler arcs in the Tomasi/Gleason run.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    You know what that feels very accurate, Jon is clearly older but its legit just Superdad and Superson on another adventure. But I did like that run so I am okay with this.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I liked it. It’s a better take on the Tomasi era filler stuff, mostly because it’s a lot more compressed and stuff actually happens. Godwelski’s art is a lot more tolerable when they’re out in space and talking to aliens. I’m curious where PKJ is going with this, I’m sure the whole “parents and children don’t see each other as family but moreso as rivals” will play a role in what’s to come.

Read the Ambush Bug backup. I thought it was funny. Also it was nice to see a bunch of B & C-List Superverse characters from the Triangle Era again.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-13-2021 at 12:21 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Which were infinitely better than Bendis' entire run.

Wonder if the aliens from the two-parter with Hester and the Shadowbreed are connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Nah they were crap and completely sank the run. Kept trying to recapture that fairground issue and neither the stories nor the art could live up to his attempt.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-13-2021 at 03:53 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Agreed. Again, the Jon stuff is still a sore subject, and I still absolutely hate the hints of him becoming another Superman. But I'll gladly take a return to Tomasi's style over another Bendis vanity project that puts him way out of his depth. Which is what I'm already feeling like his JL run is gonna turn out to be. I never got the same sense of...heart from Bendis run. Not like what I'm getting here or with Tomasi's run.

The closest I could feel to that was the Truth arc and I still hated everything else about it.

Example might go over the heads of anyone who isn't as nerdy as me lol. But it's like modern Power Rangers. Bendis run was the seasons that talked a big game but were ultimately let downs (Megaforce, Beast Morphers, Ninja Steel). While PKJ (so far) is like those seasons that...still aren't ideal, compared to past ones. But they're trying. They feel a lot more humble and the effort they put in is appreciated (Dino Charge and Dino Fury)
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-13-2021 at 04:02 PM.

This issue feels like an attempt to meet you Tomasi fanboys halfway while still following up what Bendis did with Superman as a big mover and shaker on the cosmic scene. Similar tone and dynamic and its back to being a father-son book. But under Tomasi the mini golf opening would’ve taken up its own issue, so as long as he strikes a balance between giving you guys what you want and giving me what I want I’m fine with it. Very curious to see how he approaches Action though since that’s supposed to be the “Clark” book (although Jon will still be in it).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This issue feels like an attempt to meet you Tomasi fanboys halfway while still following up what Bendis did with Superman as a big mover and shaker on the cosmic scene. Similar tone and dynamic and its back to being a father-son book. But under Tomasi the mini golf opening would’ve taken up its own issue, so as long as he strikes a balance between giving you guys what you want and giving me what I want I’m fine with it. Very curious to see how he approaches Action though since that’s supposed to be the “Clark” book (although Jon will still be in it).
    I still don't really have what I want and from the sounds of things, we're about to get A LOT more of something I REALLY don't want. But I respect what PKJ is trying to do at least. I like that he did seem to genuinely listen to people's concerns, Even if he was caught between a rock and a hard place, and can't give us exactly what we wanted. He's definitely trying to do a "lemonade out of lemons" type of thing and I really respect him for that.

This book probably won't get back on my reading list. But I might be able to occasionally check it out without complaining until they go full steam ahead with Superman Jon lol
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-13-2021 at 04:10 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

There's something really special brewing under the surface here, and it can't help but permeate through.

Long story short: I really, really dug this issue.

I'm really disappointed that no one mentioned how neat it was that PKJ's framing device for what I'm going to assume is his whole run on Superman (not Action) is Jon reading through his father's journals about their adventures and how he feels about him. That's not only a nice framing device, but it's also a brilliant take on what Jon's "Jor-El AI" would be, AND it's a sly little way of getting in a nod to Clark as a writer.

Really enjoyed how packed, but to-the-point this issue was. From moment one of the adventure we set up the "punchline" with the translator, and we pepper it in throughout the whole issue. It's lean and mean mix of lore and foreshadowing that keeps the issue going. The running joke Superman and Superboy being ugly to the natives works for the punchline of the issue, and as a way of creating some personality for these new ideas.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that since Faldr Poornym is indisposed for the moment, thus making it unlikely that another radiation bomb can be created to stop the Shadowbreed, this is where Jon experimenting with his heat vision will come into play. When Clark said that the radiation bomb "emitted a spectrum of light the Shadowbreed couldn't consume or tolerate" I immediately thought of PKJ teasing Jon new control over heat vision. "Strength is valued above all else here" along with a father/son line of succession seems like signpost for punchline to this first short arc.

Also the art was fire! Really loving the Invincible vibes it gives off. Can't wait for Action!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Man, the backup stories in both superman and action comics just feel so out of place. At least for the batman books, the backups in those stories somewhat relate to the main stories but these just feel like filler to inflate the price of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wonder if the aliens from the two-parter with Hester and the Shadowbreed are connected.

Nah they were crap and completely sank the run. Kept trying to recapture that fairground issue and neither the stories nor the art could live up to his attempt.

Yeah, well, the fillers I agree weren't that good, but I do think it was better than Bendis run.