Default Would you all prefer X-Men Team or Squads

I was looking at what Hickman did on his Avengers run.

Since we don't really know what direction they are going in regarding the team.

Would you guys prefer the typical 6-8 member team OR an X-Men team where each member has squads.

For example:

hickman-graph3-1024x1024.jpg

I would love for Hickman and Duggan to do a version of something like this but X-Men obvisouly and if not to just have a bigger X-Men team in general.

I like the idea of the squads. Just mix it up with some mutants who don't get used too often. Keep it fresh.

Extraordinary Member

Just give me one team. The factory line super hero training the mutants have been essentially built up on over the last decade or two is kind of stretching the bounds of credibility, more so with just assigning whatever rando mutant happens to need to be in a book some sort of 'job' on that team with really no credentials.

Find the 6-7 best trained, best mix of powers and abilities, and best ethics and go save the world. Everyone else, pick up some trade skills and keep Krakoa from becoming a dump.

We've already had "squads" this entire era. I want a traditional X-men team as thats been sorely lacking

I really like the interchangeable parts idea like we have now and in that image above. XoS proved that the most of the island is the X-Men.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I like the idea of two squads within a team of 8-10, with the express intention of giving all characters sufficient purpose and panel time by giving the teams divergent and plot important assignments.

But no matter if it's a team of 5 or 3 teams of 5 on a given book, if the writer doesn't make an effort to balance them well and give each character a narrative ... well it really doesn't matter. If it's a stealth solo, the number of characters on the team doesn't matter any more than the number of chairs drawn into a panel.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I like the idea of two squads within a team of 8-10, with the express intention of giving all characters sufficient purpose and panel time by giving the teams divergent and plot important assignments.

But no matter if it's a team of 5 or 3 teams of 5 on a given book, if the writer doesn't make an effort to balance them well and give each character a narrative ... well it really doesn't matter. If it's a stealth solo, the number of characters on the team doesn't matter any more than the number of chairs drawn into a panel.
    Same here, two squads though I'd change it to 7....it seems be just be a magic number for me that, adding in more than that as the main cast of a single book means that there's some imbalance in the cast - Claremont in his first run and Kurt Busiek's Avengers run came closest, but even then it was pretty clear who the headliners were. I think in the mid 90's the two teams of X-Men worked well because it really like 12 to 14 (including Jubliee and Professor X) characters but between two books, they had twice the space to run with that many characters. Otherwise I feel like it's too much of a juggling act, and that's taking away the obvious of the X-Men's big 3/4 generally are.

But yeah, squads for sure, but allowing for some bleed over into the other squads.

I think the flagship should be squads for sure. I think SWORD handles it in a way I think the main 'X-Men' book should. Storm, Jean, Scott, Kurt, Kate, Magneto, and Moonstar as the main cast and they all have their own 'departments' with like 4-5 characters under their leadership.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

One book should be like G.I.Joe where some units are fixed and they just along other people that are suitable for the mission. Another bock should be like regular X-Men where it's a fixed team on random adventures.
    "Cable was right!"

Put the "New X-Men" kids back into their squads
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I don't really mind.

Mighty Member

I think it would be good to have the main title as the main team (the ones elected during the Gala) and Quiet Council book. And then add Uncanny X-men to revolve around different squads of X-men. X-men being the “heroes” of the island book (out in the MU and also dealing with other superhero teams) and Uncanny being the adventurous missions with different casts every arc, but with a connected theme/arc running through the title.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

Would you guys prefer the typical 6-8 member team OR an X-Men team where each member has squads.

For example:

I would love for Hickman and Duggan to do a version of something like this but X-Men obvisouly and if not to just have a bigger X-Men team in general.
    I... don't even understand that image.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Teams. Whenever there are “squads” it’s the same 6-7 characters in every book, while the rest are background fodder. The trick is finding writers who can handle ensemble cast books.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

For example:

I miss some character development in the x-men books atm. I think books are stronger with a smaller defined core cast. One aspect that made Morrison's X-Men so great was the fact that the core X-Men team was super small.

On the other hand, I also love to see the X-Men as a nation expand. Can a small X-Men team really represent and protect an entire nation?