Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Most of it seems good, but using a very Finch based origin for Donna really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But since this a DCAU spinoff pitch there's no other way than looking at it like trying to jam a square peg into round hole because there's no way for Donna to exist with a more classic origin in the DCAU to give her a more sisterly connection to Diana. So the only other choice would be no Donna at all. Kind of a bummer.

Well, I guess it's not too bad if DCAU is what they had to work with. That version would be practically unworkable as a standalone series.

Maybe Darwyn Cooke or Lauren Montgomery

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Well, I guess it's not too bad if DCAU is what they had to work with. That version would be practically unworkable as a standalone series.
    On further thought, if they were to build off of this version I think the only major obstacles were how JL used Cheetah and the implication that Hades is her father in some way. They breezed past the origin in a lame way, but since we have the movie, people are already broadly familiar with the origin at least so there is less need to repeat it. Steve wouldn't be able to be used past being an old man, but at least he was used in a touching way when he did appear. And there are still plenty of other supporting characters to use (Etta and the Holliday Girls, Ferdinand, the Kapatelis women, several Amazons, etc). Characterization wise, Diana was never great in the DCAU but she got a little better as it went on.

For the villains, Circe is the only one in a very good position, but Giganta could just start interacting with WW more and she'd be fine too. Everyone else like Psycho, Angle Man, Cyber, Villainy Inc, etc haven't been established yet. Cheetah really is the one with the legs cut out from under her here, but as they never revealed her civilian name within the show....just say the crappy one that we got in the show was Deborah Domaine, retire her or kill her off, and just introduce a proper take on Priscilla Rich or Barbara Minerva instead.

Sorry you have to take one for the team Deb, but the whole "gene splicing to help the animals" or whatever the hell that was is up your alley more than the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    On further thought, if they were to build off of this version I think the only major obstacles were how JL used Cheetah and the implication that Hades is her father in some way. They breezed past the origin in a lame way, but since we have the movie, people are already broadly familiar with the origin at least so there is less need to repeat it. Steve wouldn't be able to be used past being an old man, but at least he was used in a touching way when he did appear. And there are still plenty of other supporting characters to use (Etta and the Holliday Girls, Ferdinand, the Kapatelis women, several Amazons, etc). Characterization wise, Diana was never great in the DCAU but she got a little better as it went on.

For the villains, Circe is the only one in a very good position, but Giganta could just start interacting with WW more and she'd be fine too. Everyone else like Psycho, Angle Man, Cyber, Villainy Inc, etc haven't been established yet. Cheetah really is the one with the legs cut out from under her here, but as they never revealed her civilian name within the show....just say the crappy one that we got in the show was Deborah Domaine, retire her or kill her off, and just introduce a proper take on Priscilla Rich or Barbara Minerva instead.

Sorry you have to take one for the team Deb, but the whole "gene splicing to help the animals" or whatever the hell that was is up your alley more than the other two.
    Yeah, if they were to do a DCAU series then the lame Cheetah needs to be dealt with. Preferably with Barbara killing her off in her first appearance

Yeah, if they were to do a DCAU series then the lame Cheetah needs to be dealt with. Preferably with Barbara killing her off in her first appearance
    That Cheetah was meant to be a callback to Batman Beyond anyway... There was a whole episode about gene splicing in that show, so they just used Cheetah for Batman's world building, not Wonder Woman's...

If they wanted to use that splicing backstory that badly, why not have a Batman villain who actually got their powers that way, like Orca, who's comic backstory is exactly that. Also if Cheetah can be replaced by any animal-themed villain in terms of origin and power, than you're doing Cheetah wrong.

Anyway, Luciano Vecchio (an artist for JL:U novels and comics) drew Cheetah's Rebirth design a while ago. So just have this Cheetah come along and do what needeth be done.

Just do a censor-friendly version of when Barbara killed off Sebastian.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    That Cheetah was meant to be a callback to Batman Beyond anyway... There was a whole episode about gene splicing in that show, so they just used Cheetah for Batman's world building, not Wonder Woman's...

If they wanted to use that splicing backstory that badly, why not have a Batman villain who actually got their powers that way, like Orca, who's comic backstory is exactly that. Also if Cheetah can be replaced by any animal-themed villain in terms of origin and power, than you're doing Cheetah wrong.
    Because Batman is the only one with a good rogues gallery, even though half of the ones in the show sucked before the show did anything interesting with them.

It's not limited to WW. Superman's rogues overall fared FAR better, but Timm still stated they brought in Darkseid and co because they thought Superman's rogues gallery was weak. The crew that re-invented flat non-characters like Mr. Freeze and the Mad Hatter couldn't wrap their heads around Barbara Minerva or Priscilla Rich or even freakin' Terra-Man with his bonkers but neat/fun backstory.

If they ever do a spin-off of JLU for the Wonder Woman mythos, definitely bring in different writers who actually have interest in her cast and rogues.

Yeah, I guess it'd be strange to revisit the DCAU and not have any of the old creatives responsible for it involved but I'd rather Timm and co not have much involvement in a Wonder Woman-centric thing.

Another hurdle is also the Batman school girl crush stuff. Even beyond that, my main criticism of the video's pitch is he is in there way too much.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-19-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Maybe the less said about their uninteresting Cheetah from "Injustice for All" the better. They can always choose just to ignore her first appearance, kind of like how there was no explanation for why Aquaman's appearance changed or John Stewart was a GL, though I imagine the effort to tie all the pieces together was a point of attraction for the DCAU. Or they could be coy or meta about it and explain why that first Cheetah was a fraud or impostor; the DCAU was also good at retconning their own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I guess it'd be strange to revisit the DCAU and not have any of the old creatives responsible for it involved but I'd rather Timm and co not have much involvement in a Wonder Woman-centric thing.

Another hurdle is also the Batman school girl crush stuff. Even beyond that, my main criticism of the video's pitch is he is in their way too much.
    Yeah, I'd say the comics follow-ups that came out about 8 years ago weren't that good and a large reason for that is that there's no involvement from the DCAU team. I mean, that decision that Barbara got pregnant... they should've left well enough alone...
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 04-19-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Astonishing Member

I kind of want a WW series done in the Fleischer style but I know it will never happen.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Maybe the less said about their uninteresting Cheetah from "Injustice for All" the better. They can always choose just to ignore her first appearance, kind of like how there was no explanation for why Aquaman's appearance changed or John Stewart was a GL, though I imagine the effort to tie all the pieces together was a point of attraction for the DCAU. Or they could be coy or meta about it and explain why that first Cheetah was a fraud or impostor; the DCAU was also good at retconning their own stuff.

Yeah, I'd say the comics follow-ups that came out about 8 years ago weren't that good and a large reason for that is that there's no involvement from the DCAU team. I mean, that decision that Barbara got pregnant... they should've left well enough alone...
    Yeah, it somehow gets worse every time they revisit the Bruce/Barbara thing (even non-DCAU stuff like TKJ movie).

Though I’ve heard less than stellar things about the Batman: The Adventure Continues which does involve Dini from what I recall so I don’t think them being around is a guarantee also.

Because Batman is the only one with a good rogues gallery, even though half of the ones in the show sucked before the show did anything interesting with them.

It's not limited to WW. Superman's rogues overall fared FAR better, but Timm still stated they brought in Darkseid and co because they thought Superman's rogues gallery was weak. The crew that re-invented flat non-characters like Mr. Freeze and the Mad Hatter couldn't wrap their heads around Barbara Minerva or Priscilla Rich or even freakin' Terra-Man with his bonkers but neat/fun backstory.

If they ever do a spin-off of JLU for the Wonder Woman mythos, definitely bring in different writers who actually have interest in her cast and rogues.
    If freakin' DC Superhero Girls got it right in an 11 minutes episode, there's no excuse anyone can't at this point.

Like they really couldn't just pop open issue 9 of Wonder Woman? Of course the worst case scenario is they did and they still chose the crappy origin they gave her because they didn't care. Which seems to be the case if the creators of the show cited Perez's run directly, that means they probably did read it...

I mean, they got Circe right. But Circe is a femme fatale, maybe they only know how to write or only care about femme fatale's.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I mean, they got Circe right. But Circe is a femme fatale, maybe they only know how to write or only care about femme fatale's.
    Dini wrote that one, so that checks out lol.

Though I'd probably be more willing to give Dini a chance at this point over Timm

Dini wrote that one, so that checks out lol.

Though I'd probably be more willing to give Dini a chance at this point over Timm
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh