Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Did they get Circe right? She started out kind of ominous, which many fans like in their favorite heroes' villains, but I think throughout the most part Circe comes across as Mxyzptlk-like, powerful but kind of a joke character.

And that episode is probably the worst animated supposedly-WW-centric thing I've ever seen. In typical DCAU fashion, it starts out with a WW theme but then ends up being about Batman...

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Did they get Circe right? She started out kind of ominous, which many fans like in their favorite heroes' villains, but I think throughout the most part Circe comes across as Mxyzptlk-like, powerful but kind of a joke character.

And that episode is probably the worst animated supposedly-WW-centric thing I've ever seen. In typical DCAU fashion, it starts out with a WW theme but then ends up being about Batman...
    Circe was voiced good, even though I don’t like her design, and I liked the simplified motivations for her enmity with Diana but yeah that episode is everything I dislike about DCAU’s handling of Diana; it’s where the one-sided school girl crush is on full display, reduced to a damsel for Batman to take center stage, Circe is a joke in the end, etc.

What’s weird switch the roles and have Bats be the one turned into an animal by Circe and suddenly you get a fun Diana/Zee team up.

Making it Diana/Zatana would've been fun, but I think the one argument you could make against making the episode like that instead is that it would've kept the flirtation one-sided. If I had to defend the episode, which is among my least favorite episodes in the entire run so I don't want to, I'd say at least by switching it to Batman's POV it didn't show WW pining for Batman, outside the first scene. But that and a few jokes are all the nice things I have to say about that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Like they really couldn't just pop open issue 9 of Wonder Woman? Of course the worst case scenario is they did and they still chose the crappy origin they gave her because they didn't care. Which seems to be the case if the creators of the show cited Perez's run directly, that means they probably did read it.
    If they did they clearly didn't care for it, lol. How does one read Perez's run and then decides to make Hades, Vandal Savage and some random Amazon Diana's main enemies instead of Ares, Cheetah, Silver Swan, Dr Psycho, ect.?

Amazing Member

I do like some of this. (Like everything DC) there is too much Batman. I'd like to see Zatanna and maybe J'onn take his place in some of those episodes. I also do not like putting Aresia in the Sacrifice episode. It should be Superman and I want to see her handle him the way she did in the comic.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I also wouldn't mind just a smidge more of the Olympians, particularly Athena, Aphrodite, and Artemis. I'd like to see them guiding and advising Diana from time to time.

Mighty Member

When it comes to dealing with BATMAN, absolutely. I'd say it's different from Mxy as Mxy is kind of an idiot; he gets frustrated in trying to beat Superman and actually takes him seriously (it's like getting mad and trying to best an ant), however it seemed like Circe didn't take Batman or Zatanna seriously (to the point the only victory they got was Circe simply letting them off the hook).

That said as far as the DCAU is concerned, eh it's kind of a challenge. Circe was the only foe of Wonder Woman's who really interacted with her at all isn't she? Giganta only got punched out by Wonder Woman once, and did ANYTHING happen with Cheetah regarding Wonder Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    When it comes to dealing with BATMAN, absolutely. I'd say it's different from Mxy as Mxy is kind of an idiot; he gets frustrated in trying to beat Superman and actually takes him seriously (it's like getting mad and trying to best an ant), however it seemed like Circe didn't take Batman or Zatanna seriously (to the point the only victory they got was Circe simply letting them off the hook).

That said as far as the DCAU is concerned, eh it's kind of a challenge. Circe was the only foe of Wonder Woman's who really interacted with her at all isn't she? Giganta only got punched out by Wonder Woman once, and did ANYTHING happen with Cheetah regarding Wonder Woman?
    They had a brief, very one sided tussle.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    They had a brief, very one sided tussle.
    And only survived beyond her first appearance because of an animation error.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They had a couple brief, wordless fights. None of them remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post

I was about to say WW interacted with Ares, but then I remembered that I was thinking of Hades. Oops.

When you put it that way, that makes things seem a lot worse, because all of Circe's interaction occurred in the beginning of the episode before the opening title sequence began. So in the history of the DCAU, almost all of WW's interaction with her classic villains is about 2 minutes.

Mxy is kind of an idiot since he takes Superman seriously and keeps losing, but I think the comp works in the sense that Mxy only loses because he makes the fight as fair as possible and could otherwise curb stomp Superman any time he wanted. Superman can only wound Mxy's pride. They also made Circe a bit of a slapstick villain in the episode with all the times Z whacks her with available props, and the feeling I had watching her was like the feeling Drax had in Guardians of the Galaxy when he found out what personal effects Starlord went back into the prison for, i.e. this guy's an imbecile.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 04-21-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I was about to say WW interacted with Ares, but then I remembered that I was thinking of Hades. Oops.
    No Ares was in it too and I think she interacted with him the whole episode. It was the one with Hawk and Dove.

if you forgot about it, I don't blame you. Unsurprisingly, it was underwhelming.

Hades was closer to comics Ares, being kind of a "boogeyman"/Satan stand-in from Themyscira's past.

Even briefly had the faceless helmet design:
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-21-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    No Ares was in it too and I think she interacted with him the whole episode. It was the one with Hawk and Dove.

if you forgot about it, I don't blame you. Unsurprisingly, it was underwhelming.
    Yeah, you're right. Back in 2004 that seemed like the most hated episode of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    And only survived beyond her first appearance because of an animation error.
    Wait, really?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Wait, really?
    Yeah. Cheetah was supposed to be killed off-screen, but (I think) they accidentally ended up showing her getting rounded up in the paddywagon with the rest of the Injustice Gang, so the canon was that she was still alive to make another uninteresting appearance.