Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    The only time I remember Diana full on torturing someone was Gail Simone's run when Diana cut Cheetah's face and maybe(?) cut off her tail.

But yeah, there's the typical hero torture of "hold the criminal up in the air until they talk" thing.
    Yeah, its pretty stupid. Torture doesn't actually work.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Along with Diana's new Golden Age voice it's surprising no one's mentioned how boastful she was and how it lead to her downfall. She isn't usually the brunt of the joke in her own title, though the slapstick silliness of it all added to her character. I can see future writers running with the gag.

Another great issue, Dr. Psycho was a jaw dropper. I want to know what he's building, reaching here, but it almost sounded like Maxwell Lord's tech from the last run. I also want to know why Diana is denying her Wonder Woman mantle so consistently and won't let herself fly. We've seen the "Who am I?" thing done a million times in this book, but here it felt brand new again. That's a testament to the excellent writing and art. The Asgard costume is going down in Wonder Woman fashion history. It's perfect for this story and iconic in it's own right.

Edit: Also the Furies debacle was because she had the lasso and chose not to use it....which is dumb....
    That was easily one of the worst Wonder Woman moments of all time. Right up there with Diana grabbing Orion's junk to threaten him. Sometimes I just don't know what these writers are smoking.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The tongs shown were for blacksmithing weapons. The dialogue box was talking about enchanted weapons which is why it was shown. I don't think any form of torture was even used.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Along with Diana's new Golden Age voice it's surprising no one's mentioned how boastful she was and how it lead to her downfall. She isn't usually the brunt of the joke in her own title, though the slapstick silliness of it all added to her character. I can see future writers running with the gag.

Another great issue, Dr. Psycho was a jaw dropper. I want to know what he's building, reaching here, but it almost sounded like Maxwell Lord's tech from the last run. I also want to know why Diana is denying her Wonder Woman mantle so consistently and won't let herself fly. We've seen the "Who am I?" thing done a million times in this book, but here it felt brand new again. That's a testament to the excellent writing and art. The Asgard costume is going down in Wonder Woman fashion history. It's perfect for this story and iconic in it's own right.
    Lol. Her stumbling over the stone surprised me quite a bit. It kind of gives Asgard a personality. It’s a magic realm. Maybe it took offense to an Olympian’s boastfulness? ;D

This really does feel like a fresh and new approach to the “Who am I?” plot. When I first realized they were going for amnesia my Ric trauma said hello. Couldn’t believe that another of my favs would possibly be tainted by such a dumb trope. I kind of had to force myself to read #770 without prejudice.

I think this amnesiac Diana works so well because it’s not a normal amnesia plot. She isn’t searching for her memories. Neither is she surrounded by people that want her to remember (except for one). The Amnesia doesn’t dictate the main plot. Diana is still herself. She doesn’t have the Wonder Woman name, sure, but she is an Amazon, and she has kept her believes. Her amnesia just causes a slight alteration, one that – the more I think about it – makes her seem a bit younger and more inexperienced without making her look incompetent.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    The tongs shown were for blacksmithing weapons. The dialogue box was talking about enchanted weapons which is why it was shown. I don't think any form of torture was even used.
    Come on, they suggestively showed the tongs as she was “questioning” Dr.Psycho, and even straight up say “anything can be a lasso of truth in the right hands”. It’s very heavily insinuated that she either tortured or at least scared him into spilling the beans, probably the latter

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Come on, they suggestively showed the tongs as she was “questioning” Dr.Psycho, and even straight up say “anything can be a lasso of truth in the right hands”. It’s very heavily insinuated that she either tortured or at least scared him into spilling the beans, probably the latter
    That was in reference to the rope. "Even with her missing memories, Diana felt a familiarity with the rope and its application."

The panel with the tongs was accompanied by a narration box about how he was enchanting the weapons. He seems intimidated by her even before she ties him up. At most, she scared him with threats but didn't actually do anything.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That was in reference to the rope. "Even with her missing memories, Diana felt a familiarity with the rope and its application."

The panel with the tongs was accompanied by a narration box about how he was enchanting the weapons. He seems intimidated by her even before she ties him up. At most, she scared him with threats but didn't actually do anything.
    You’re telling me that close-up panel of the tongs, Diana’s creepy shadowed eyes in the panel next to it, her telling the squirrel to look away and “anything can be a lasso of truth in the right hands” were not implying anything ?!

Wonder Woman definitely threatened a confession out of him, that’s the charitable interpretation of the scene. The uncharitable interpretation is that she tortured him

Another solid issue, IMO. Plus, whenever Dr. Pyshco is featured (since Harley Quinn) I'm happy.

3 out of 5 stars or above average. Heck, I'll bump it up half a star to 3.5 out of 5 for a fun issue.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    You’re telling me that close-up panel of the tongs, Diana’s creepy shadowed eyes in the panel next to it, her telling the squirrel to look away and “anything can be a lasso of truth in the right hands” were not implying anything ?!

Wonder Woman definitely threatened a confession out of him, that’s the charitable interpretation of the scene. The uncharitable interpretation is that she tortured him
    That's why I said she scared him at most.

If she used the tongs for pulling teeth out or anything, I don't think he'd be able to shout after her afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Lol. Her stumbling over the stone surprised me quite a bit. It kind of gives Asgard a personality. It’s a magic realm. Maybe it took offense to an Olympian’s boastfulness? ;D

This really does feel like a fresh and new approach to the “Who am I?” plot. When I first realized they were going for amnesia my Ric trauma said hello. Couldn’t believe that another of my favs would possibly be tainted by such a dumb trope. I kind of had to force myself to read #770 without prejudice.

I think this amnesiac Diana works so well because it’s not a normal amnesia plot. She isn’t searching for her memories. Neither is she surrounded by people that want her to remember (except for one). The Amnesia doesn’t dictate the main plot. Diana is still herself. She doesn’t have the Wonder Woman name, sure, but she is an Amazon, and she has kept her believes. Her amnesia just causes a slight alteration, one that – the more I think about it – makes her seem a bit younger and more inexperienced without making her look incompetent.
    Noticed this too, she reads a bit more younger "fresh off the island" than usual.

Think anyone after Ric Grayson would be wary of an amnesia plot for a long while.

Conrad himself had something to say on Diana's voice:

"I really like this very flattering review! In response to questions about Diana’s voice— we made a choice to have her speak in a less aristocratic way. This wasn’t an error, she can still do it... but to our mind, no one speaks like they’re addressing the court at all times."
    https://twitter.com/michaelwconrad/s...55147283562496

And they're absolutely right. The absence of undo formality is a refreshing change of pace.

It definitely adds a nice layer to the character. Diana knows when to be formal and when not to be. She didn't come across as impolite when she isn't addressing the court so, yeah good on them.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Hmm, nice change of pace. Become something of a pet peeve of mine in recent years to have Diana speak like that all the time, like when she calls Superman “Kal-El”.