Default Raven Appreciation Thread 2021

Welcome to the 2021 Appreciation Thread for RAVEN!

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.34.40 AM.jpg

So....to avoid derailing the Cyborg thread, I thought I would post my replies to posts in that thread here:

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Raven never struck me as white either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Raven always stuck me as being very pale-faced, but that might just be because of the cartoon.
    There are poc who pass as white but aren't necessarily 'white' like Northern Indians, Arabs, etc. I'm actually surprised that Raven hasn't been race bent in an adaptation given that it felt like Wolfman/Perez left the door wide open for future creators to go there if they wanted. It seemed like a perfect opportunity for more South Asian representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Wolfman could've changed the design to be less problematic. I understand wanting to avoid being tone-deaf, but I don't think the lack of representation is the right answer.
    I agree with what you are saying but even in the final product Raven didn't fully come across as 'white' either.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    So....to avoid derailing the Cyborg thread, I thought I would post my replies to posts in that thread here:

There are poc who pass as white but aren't necessarily 'white' like Northern Indians, Arabs, etc. I'm actually surprised that Raven hasn't been race bent in an adaptation given that it felt like Wolfman/Perez left the door wide open for future creators to go there if they wanted. It seemed like a perfect opportunity for more South Asian representation.

I agree with what you are saying but even in the final product Raven didn't fully come across as 'white' either.
    This is an interesting point.

Wolfman/Pérez Raven was garbed several times in saris when she was not in her dress and cloak. I always thought that she would easily have been portrayed in film as Southeast Asian - and it would not have detracted from her character, imho.

I think that Raven’s transition to the Goth/emo characterization is thanks to the Geoff Johns era along with the Teen Titans cartoon. This unfortunately took the mostly eastern trappings and garb away from her characterization and made her, imo, less ambiguous ethnically and cemented her as being a chalky white goth chick.

I personally prefer the Wolfman/Pérez version.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    There are poc who pass as white but aren't necessarily 'white' like Northern Indians, Arabs, etc. I'm actually surprised that Raven hasn't been race bent in an adaptation given that it felt like Wolfman/Perez left the door wide open for future creators to go there if they wanted. It seemed like a perfect opportunity for more South Asian representation
    Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post
    This is an interesting point.

Wolfman/Pérez Raven was garbed several times in saris when she was not in her dress and cloak. I always thought that she would easily have been portrayed in film as Southeast Asian - and it would not have detracted from her character, imho.

I think that Raven’s transition to the Goth/emo characterization is thanks to the Geoff Johns era along with the Teen Titans cartoon. This unfortunately took the mostly eastern trappings and garb away from her characterization and made her, imo, less ambiguous ethnically and cemented her as being a chalky white goth chick.

I personally prefer the Wolfman/Pérez version.
    I could see either Anya Chalotra or Adeline Rudolph as the Wolfman/Perez era version of Raven. Also, I could see Millie Bobby Brown as the Geoff Johns version of Raven.

I think she was indigenous in Teen Titans Earth One.

I much prefer the original version. I feel the goth chick one is too generic and gave way to the worst interpretation of the character (the live action one from the Titans show).
    I'd love to see her played by an Asian actress. That would be a very logical "race-swap" considering her first apperances.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think she was indigenous in Teen Titans Earth One.
    Honestly I think Earth One take on Raven was one of my favorite takes on the character besides The classic Wolfman/Perez and the TT Cartoon. Her being Native American feels like a natural part of her character