Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    How does everybody feel about how he is in the current rendition of the Legion?
    The leaner floppy-haired look was a thing, but I kinda prefer how he started to bulk up and become one of the thicker Legionnaires (to contrast with Mon-El, his frequent fight-buddy, who was being slimmed down and looked more like a runner/swimmer and not a heavyweight boxer). And the ruler of Rimbor thing seemed a misstep, IMO. Heroes who are also kings or rulers or CEOs sometimes get bogged down by that, or spend all their time superheroing and just utterly ignoring their responsibilities and then Atlantis gets invaded, again, while they can't be bothered to actually show up for the job and it's a whole thing.

I was intrigued how, at the very beginning, he put up a green force wall, suggesting that he had uses of ultra-energy *other* than just mimicing the powers of Superboy one at a time. That piqued my curiosity, the notion that Ultra Boy might have an Ultra-Power or two that *weren't* Superboy riffs.

(Technically he's already got one, kinda sorta. His 'Penetra-Vision' has been used for both the effects of both X-Ray *and* Telescopic Vision. Then again, I don't know if he actually has 'all the powers of Superboy, one at a time,' since I've never seen him use Ultra-Hearing, Ultra-Cold Breath or Ultra-Microscopic Vision...)

It would amuse me to see some AU version of Ultra Boy who has a completely different set of Ultra-powers. Ultra-teleportation! Ultra-force fields! Ultra-magma blasts! Ultra-size change! But one at a time, obviously.

I've always liked Ultra Boy because I like the limitation put on his powers.

He is essentially Superboy, but can only use 1 power at a time, as opposed to Mon El who is an outright Superboy knock off, minus the uniform (Though I like him to)

ULTRA BOY 3.jpgULTRA BOY 3.jpgAlways been a fan of Ultra Boy .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Definitely in my Top 5 favorite Legionnaires. And I love that they kept his uniform basically the same for several decades (with some exceptions).
    The one from Bendis's run was hideous. I know some people aren't fans of the red/green color scheme, but I think it works.

Astonishing Member

As much as I liked his one power at a time angle back in the day, I feel it's a Silver Age characteristic, and that it would be more realistic if he his ultra energy could be divided as needed. For example, 50% strength, 50% invulnerability. That would probably be more difficult for Jo to control, but in some ways, I feel that aspect has always been there.

Astonishing Member

Him, Monel, timber wolf and Saturn girl my favourites,

And I always thought he should be used more

Hi Phoenixx9 I am a big fan of Ultra Boy (Jo Nah) from the Legion of Super Heroes. To answer your question about Ultra Boy's bird symbol, it looks like the Native American Indian symbol of the Thunderbird. I saw a tattoo of his symbol on Ultra Boy's left arm/ shoulder in my favorite series Legion of Super-Heroes: Five Years Later. In my 20's I drew Ultra Boy's symbol and gave it to a tattoo artist to put on my left arm/shoulder. He told me it looks like the Native American Indian symbol Thunderbird which I got the tattoo with black coloring inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmatrixmikey View Post
    Hi Phoenixx9 I am a big fan of Ultra Boy (Jo Nah) from the Legion of Super Heroes. To answer your question about Ultra Boy's bird symbol, it looks like the Native American Indian symbol of the Thunderbird. I saw a tattoo of his symbol on Ultra Boy's left arm/ shoulder in my favorite series Legion of Super-Heroes: Five Years Later. In my 20's I drew Ultra Boy's symbol and gave it to a tattoo artist to put on my left arm/shoulder. He told me it looks like the Native American Indian symbol Thunderbird which I got the tattoo with black coloring inside it.
    Hi there, mmmmmatrixmikey!

Thank you for all the information. I never saw that issue so this is indeed what it must be. I like the ties to the Native American Indian lore and this is one I once pondered but never knew why it would be tied to them. Of course, I love all things Firebird, Thunderbird, Phoenix, etc, lol.

How did your tattoo turn out? Is it yellow like Ultra Boy's? I would love to see it. Can you show us?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    As much as I liked his one power at a time angle back in the day, I feel it's a Silver Age characteristic, and that it would be more realistic if he his ultra energy could be divided as needed. For example, 50% strength, 50% invulnerability. That would probably be more difficult for Jo to control, but in some ways, I feel that aspect has always been there.
    I find your opinion interesting whilst completely disagreeing. I think of it as UB needing to concentrate to focus his power. I get your point, but if we strip from characters those things that make the unique, just because it's too Silver Age, characters all regress to a generic mean. Besides, in a skilled writer's hands, the limitation makes for interesting story options.

Hi Phoenixx9 Here is a picture of my Ultra Boy tattoo that is colored inside with black on my left shoulder/arm. Hope you like it!IMG_0839.jpg

Hi Phoenixx9 Here is a picture of my Ultra Boy tattoo that is colored inside with black on my left shoulder/arm. Hope you like it!IMG_0839.jpg
    Hi mmmmmatrixmikey. Thanks for sharing. Yes, I do! It looks exactly like Ultra Boy's.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I've LONG considered a tattoo of the UB symbol (sooooo jealous!) but so far just have a take on one of my favorite Dawnstar sketches. I love her but don't think I'll be stopping there...

Awesome! Wise choice!

I love Ultra Boy. He's fascinating because he puts on like he's either a thug or a dumb jock, but he's actually very shrewd and cunning, he's just from a world and used to an environment where hiding what he knows can be a big advantage - and that plays out to be true in the Legion and the United Planets as well! The best example I can think of offhand is Legion vol 4 Annual # 1.

Because that youth running with gangs is so important to how I view Jo's character, I couldn't help but be rubbed the wrong way by Bendis' version. Oh well, the classic material is still there, just as good as it ever was!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Because that youth running with gangs is so important to how I view Jo's character, I couldn't help but be rubbed the wrong way by Bendis' version. Oh well, the classic material is still there, just as good as it ever was!
    Jo was an odd choice to get the son-of-the-leader retcon, given how many other Legionnaires either have always been (Dirk, Jeckie, Tasmia) or become over time children of privilege (Reep, Tinya, Gim) whose parents are leaders, champions, celebrities or ultra-rich.

I kind of liked that he was more working-class, and didn't come from the same background as some of the more upper-class Legionnaires.