Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battlestar Galactica versus Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Which show is better, The original Battlestar Galactica from 1978 with Lorne Greene and Richard Hatch, or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century with Gil Gerard and Erin Grey?
    BG aired one season, and briefly got revived as Galactica 1980, which Buck Rogers ran two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Which show is better, The original Battlestar Galactica from 1978 with Lorne Greene and Richard Hatch, or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century with Gil Gerard and Erin Grey?
    BG aired one season, and briefly got revived as Galactica 1980, which Buck Rogers ran two seasons.
    I'd say Galactica was better. It had major restrictions on it, having to be like Star Wars being, maybe, the biggest. But there was a real story there when you look beneath the surface and some interesting situations.

The first season of Buck Rogers was mostly T&A and juvenile appeal. The second season, when it tried to be serious, was worse.

Mind you, I loved both shows. But Galactica was better, which isn't saying a lot.

Galactica

Buck Rogers season 2 (mostly because of Hawk)

Buck Rogers season one

Galactica 1980
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I haven't seen a full episode of either show since they aired originally, when I was a kid. I liked them both then, but doubt they'd hold up very well at all today. I think I remember liking Galactica more because it was more Star Wars-ish.

Are either original series available on streaming services? I would like to be able to binge watch both. I know Buck Rogers airs on Saturday nights on MeTV.

I don't have hopes for a revival. I just would like to be able to enjoy both again for a while.

I know that there have been various Battlestar G comics, but were there ever comics based on Gil Gerard's Buck Rogers?

Extraordinary Member

I liked both shows, but the first few months of Battlestar Galactica blew my mind.

As time went on, it went downhill fast. With Serena dying and Athena being phased out, plus the introduction of new uninteresting characters, I lost interest. The Cylons were always cool and the space fights were always a blast. And just think, if Rick Springfield hadn't been killed off early, he may have been too busy for either General Hospital or recording Jessie's Girl. lol

I thought Gil Gerard and Erin Gray had great chemistry on Buck Rogers, but I'll tell you that I don't remember any details about a single episode of that series at this point.

I also liked Galactica 1980 and thought the new characters were good. They weren't Apollo or Starbuck by any means but I did like them.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

As a young horny kid Buck Rogers was the show to beat.

Does Erin Gray do fan conventions?

Buck had Erin Grey in those unforgettable spandex outfits going for it, as well as (to a lesser extent) Twiki.

Battlestar did have the Cylons, who were pretty cool looking and sounding.

I'd give the edge to Battlestar as i don't think anyone on Buck really had the gravitas of Lorne Greene to lend some dignity to the proceedings, and i would say the cast and plot were better overall (forgetting the silly season set on earth). But tbh its been a long time since i watched either show; as a kid i found both shows pretty exciting. Battlestar had better toys (including one that resulted in new safety standards iirc) although i did like having a twiki action figure

Extraordinary Member

I loved the Mad Magazine feature on Battlestar Galactica

Both had the pilots released in theatres also. Buck of course got a dancing robot that says "groovy!"

"Battlestar Galactica" wins in my mind because it had a much more interesting story and a much more interesting ensemble, providing various important relationships on the show. Buck Rogers had a premise, but once he gets acclimated to the 25h century, it wasn't exactly relevant. And his relationships with the few other cast members were pretty thin. The stories from Battlestar were also a bit more complicated from what I recall. Buck Rogers was downright campy a lot of the times. And then they totally changed things in the second season, with Hawk's addition being the only good change. (I mean, it's fun seeing a young Dennis Haysbert but that only goes so far, especially since they changed Twiki's voice into something godawful cutesy)

But at least Buck's starfighters were a cooler design than the Vipers.(better name though)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-13-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    As a young horny kid Buck Rogers was the show to beat.

Looking at her, I'm sure there was more than one horny kid or teen beating it.

(look, somebody had to make the obvious joke)

Who would win in a fight? I think Buck Rogers could take on Apollo and Starbuck at the same time and win. I think Wilma would kick the butt of any BSG girl she fought.

Battlestar Galactica definitely has a deeper concept (hence the remake), but that peters off somewhat over the course of the first series.

Buck Rogers series one is pretty much like, if you type "this guy fucks" into a computer, it'll bring up a picture of Gil Gerard.

GILGERARDBUCKROGERS_465_874_int.jpg

Series two Buck Rogers does not ****.